SEGA Questions Wii's Longevity

demonflair

Slowly returning..
Feb 10, 2007
Portugal, Portimão
Wii Online Code
2967-1215-6372-5681
IGN said:
An executive fears the "creative pool" is too shallow to dive into.
by Daemon Hatfield

June 15, 2007 - Since its launch last November, the Wii has performed beyond even the most enthusiastic Nintendo fanboy's expectations. The system outsold the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 combined in May. But some in the industry are still skeptical about the little platform that could. Speaking to Reuters, one SEGA executive has revealed his doubts that Nintendo can keep this momentum going in the long run.

"I am a little concerned about the creative depth of the Wii pool," said Scott Steinberg, VP of marketing for SEGA's U.S. division. "I'm not sure if they will top out in 2008 or 2007."

The Wii is considerably underpowered when compared to the PS3 or 360. Nintendo has stated that the console is about one and a half times more powerful than the GameCube.

"The Wii will start to look really dated in a couple years when developers get more value from the 360 and learn more and more about the PlayStation 3," Steinberg said.

Scott Steinberg, SEGA's VP of Marketing SEGA was an early supporter of the Wii in terms of software, and also has a significant presence on the Virtual Console.

"But how much value can developers and creative folks get out of this wrist motion two years from now, or 5 years from now, or 10 years from now?" Steinberg said. "How can they design products that aren't too derivative of what's already out there?"

Steinberg appears to be putting his money on the PlayStation 3 to eventually win the current console wars. In contrast to the Wii, Sony's latest console has performed below expectations.

"We know the PS3 pool is pretty deep. There's a lot to exploit there," Steinberg said.

What do you people think of this??

i'd tell him that as long as companies (including companies like sega) keep making good games for the wii... that wrist motion he was talking about wont get old one bit.

and i'd tell him that nobody wants a ps3

Sega could help the longevity by developing games for it.

I actually already pretty tired of the wrist motion (Think Pirates 3, Spiderman 3, Marvel Ultimate Alliance). I haven't used my Wii much lately, but once they release some games I'm interested in I think I'll pick it right back up.

The Wii is considerably underpowered when compared to the PS3 or 360. Nintendo has stated that the console is about one and a half times more powerful than the GameCube.

Why do they keep going on about the graphics, we all knew when we bought our Wii's that they were no match for the PS3 but thats not the reason i bought it , i bought it because the game play was all new and i am not disappointed.
I have a high spec PC i use for my online gaming (FPS's mainly) i play my Wii for fun.

MaxPing said:
Why do they keep going on about the graphics, we all knew when we bought our Wii's that they were no match for the PS3 but thats not the reason i bought it , i bought it because the game play was all new and i am not disappointed.
I have a high spec PC i use for my online gaming (FPS's mainly) i play my Wii for fun.

Your P isn't fun too? :wtf:

MaxPing said:
the graphics suck?
and also, the graphics could be much better, but nintendo would rather rip us off and make hugeee profits

Monsteroids said:
Your P isn't fun too? :wtf:

I only use my pc for on-line shooters, i don't play single player games on it, i take my on line PC gaming more seriously than playing a Wii game against family/mates.
So yes the PC is fun but the Wii is much more fun.

Back