Sega unveils Virtual Console titles

i0n

:eek:
Apr 30, 2006
UK
Sega have released a press release detailing their Genesis games that will be available for VC download in 2006.

Titles include:

Sonic The Hedgehog - Play as Sonic in the original high-speed smash hit action video game And rescue your friends from the evil scientists Dr. Eggman! (1991/© SEGA)

Altered Beast - Use the power of the beasts to save the Goddess of Athena. (1989/© SEGA)

Golden Axe - Choose from three warriors; Ax, Tyris and Gilius and fight together to defeat Death Adder. The game supports not only co-op mode but also competitive mode. (1988/© SEGA)

Columns - Line the jewel in vertical, horizontal and diagonal to erase them in the big hit puzzle game that enchants users with its beautiful graphic and sound. (1990/© SEGA)

Ecco the Dolphin - Help Ecco the dolphin find his missing friends by exploring his vast ocean world. Use Ecco's unique sonar ability to talk to other sea creatures while exploring the ocean depths. (1993/© SEGA)

Gunstar Heroes - This big hit action shooter game developed by Treasure enables up to two players to play simultaneously to stop the resurrection of the destructive force plotted by the Imperial. (1993/© SEGA)

Space Harrier II
- Space Harrier II is a 3D shooter and was one of the original launch titles for the SEGA Genesis. (1988/© SEGA)

Toe Jam and Earl - Embark on an unexpected journey throughout earth with two funky aliens who love the music and collecting items. (1992/© ToeJam&Earl Productions,Inc. © SEGA)

Ristar
- An action game starring Ristar, the child of a shooting star. Use his powers to grab everything around him to blow up monsters and find the truth about his origin. (1995/© SEGA)

Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine - Dr. Robotnik is stamping out music and fun in Mobius with his giant, robotizing Mean Bean Steaming Machine. Before he turns all the citizens of Beanville into robots, you must save the day by gathering up beans in matching colors and defeating Robotnik's guards! (1993/© SEGA)

These titles will be available as downloads from the Wii Shop Channel with prices starting at 800 Wii™ Points for the titles. Wii Points can be purchased online or at retail at an MSRP of $20 for 2,000 points.

Here's some more info from the press release detailing how the games will be accessed and played:

"Nintendo has offered a great gateway in bringing classic SEGA titles such as Sonic The Hedgehog, Altered Beast and Toe Jam & Earl to Wii console owners," said Scott A. Steinberg, Vice President of Marketing, SEGA of America. "This is only the beginning though, as you can expect to see more announcements regarding other legendary titles from SEGA's catalog coming to the Wii Shop Channel in the coming months."

In addition to providing downloadable access to Nintendo games from the NES®, Super NES® and Nintendo 64®, the exclusive Virtual Console service only available on the Wii features a "best of" selection from the SEGA Genesis game library that will be updated with new game content every month. After users download Virtual Console games from the Wii Shop Channel, each game will appear in the Wii Channel Menu as its own channel. To play the game, users simply select the game's channel.

Altered Beast and Golden Axe - fantastic :)

i aint been on here in a long time. but yay i look forward to playin sonic again and toe jam and earl used to by my fave!

I have played none of the above games, and never owned a sega console. I presume Sonic is considered the best out of the above? ill probably get one sega game when i can afford it, is sonic the best to get?

NO ITS NOT
Gunstar heros is the best on there

I Have Gametap So I Already Have Sonic... But I Wasn't Born Into The Sega Era... Darn That I Wasn't..

YEA!!!!!!!!!!! IM SCREAMING in anticipation. Altered beast. OOOOO. Hell yea. we will all die on sunday 19th. Can't wait!!!

Altered Beast was AMAZING! My Sister even played that game. That wll be a must buy for me.

Back