Sega's lesson: We probably won't be making mature games for the Wii anymore

castlezelda

WiiChat Member
Feb 7, 2007
Wii Online Code
0000-0000-0000-0000
According to wii.qj.net and according to SEGA, Sega is bailing out of the Mature gaming department.

houseofthedeadoverkillbox.jpg
It appears that Sega has chosen its New Year's Resolution for 2010: stop making mature games for the Wii. The publisher has previously been very determined to try their hand at cracking the said market on the wholesome console, but now it seems that they've snapped out of the fairy tale and is moving on.
In the latest edition of the 4 Guys 1Up podcast, Sega's studio director, Constantine Hantzopoulos, revealed how they now feel about making mature games on the Wii given the less than encouraging response by the public.

"I have to say that it was a space that was open and we took a gamble on it. It's like, 'Wow, there's no mature games on the Wii. Is there an audience out there?' We did some research, it said there was an audience out there.

... Sega took a gamble, we put out some pretty decent content. I mean, House of the Dead: Overkill and MadWorld are great Wii games. They really are, especially House of the Dead: Overkill. That game is funny... Yes [it did better than MadWorld]. I mean they're both doing okay and at the end of the day we'll make our numbers, that's good. Conduit's done quite well for us. It's been a slow burn. That's the other thing you find out about the Wii. It's not necessarily first three weeks like most titles. And DS. It's a longer burn, actually. So panicked at first, but it's like okay.

But that begs the question, are we going to do more mature titles for the Wii? And it's like, probably not. Look at Dead Space. We were stunned. That was my litmus test. Basically, it's like, okay, you got EA, who can put all the marketing muscle behind this, an established franchise that scored quite well on 360 and PS3. They should be able to actually hit this out of the park, right? We got numbers, real numbers aside from NP, and I'm like, 'Whoa.'"

I'm guessing the numbers he saw were all rosy. Well, at least they gave it a shot. And now they know: bringing mature games on the Wii wasn't for them.

To listen to the whole podcast, you can check out the link below.

Podcast via Nintendo Everything

I was afraid of this. They whine that there aren't mature titles and then when the mature titles are released they don't buy them. Well Sega, thanks for trying.

thats partially cause they weren't for everyone. for example i hate console rail shooters, so i completely ignored Overkill. and Madworld, i gave it a shot but i think it sucks. i returned my copy a few days later.

its not that mature gamers aren't buying necessarily, but that some of us don't like the games being put out so we don't get them. maturegames on the wii isn't a bad idea, its just being poorly executed.

As for me Madworld turned fun into boring as hell very quick. Overkill is a blast yet i think, a good stress-reliever at least, Dead Space Extraction was so-so. Conduit was ok, the online was so-so, kind of enjoyed the wiispeak support .

In before the usual "hardcore" rants
stop making mature games for the Wii
Just for the Wii I see
The main users of the Wii seem to be kids (even my brother has lent mine and says hes getting Wiifit)
In other news
Sega Bayonetta has been getting rave reviews and from what I hear its really good

Both Overkill and MadWorld sound killer to me, haven't played them though.

It's sad that they're stopping the development.

Well, this is ONLY a statement from a representative NOT THE WHOLE COMPANY!!
As for the Mature games, these are stupid excuses to not develop AAA quality games on the Wii, that is why they developed stupid rail-shooters or some called "innovative games" (trying to do different things) that they KNOW these games don't sell well or aren't interesting for the Wii gamers. Instead to develop Wii AAA titles with the same gauge of the xbox360/ps3 games (that's their best) but with far better controls than these consoles (there's the truly innovation!!). Can you see that?
Simple excuses to leave the Wii with shovelware and focus all their resources to their preffered HD consoles, high effort, high marketing, etc, etc...
This happened at the Wii launch in 2006, they trying to piss the Wii in favor to the xbox360/ps3, but when the Wii rises and surpass in sales the other consoles, all developers were wondering (the Wii is lowpowered, is Fad, oh,etc), but they're still reluctant to change their development prefferences to the Wii. And they're trying to justify that with innovative experiments and poor ports to the Wii. How you call that?
Simply, THEY ARE LAZY DEVELOPERS!!
The Wii development cost is less but demands more effort than the HD consoles, they always go to the easy way!!
SEGA, if you want a real test for mature games on the Wii, try this:

Make Alien vs Predator: Colonial Marines for Wii with the same budget as the HD versions, the same development team, the same effort, trying to do graphics as close the xbox360/p3 versions, including all modes and features, far better controls (including motion+ support), wiispeak support, a robust on-line system and the most important thing: a heavy MARKETING campaign as the other versions.
Do that and I will show you which is the best seller version!!
Why not?
Ah, the lazy developers talk again!!

Last edited:
Oh shut up stickmode you fraking noob
Do you work in Currys or something?
As you sound like somebody that does

I hate how cocky these companies have become. They make half baked "mature" titles and expect them to sell as good as Gears of War. I'm sorry but if it's not up to par sales will reflect that.
If Extraction had the same raving reviews and development work as Dead Space then you better believe I'd be shelling out my hard earned money for it. I don't care how "mature" a title is, don't be ignorant and blame the whole Wii fanbase for poor sales.

7 points difference, oh, whatcha gonna do.

The difference in technology (together with the overall focus on Nintendo's ever existing franchises) is the main problem. You cannot lie that both the 360 and PS3 are more powerful in terms of graphics, so there is more point developing shooters on the other system.

We should also not forget that Nintendo appears to be targeting families and little kids as their peer groups, so with such main course there's no wonder nobody interested in releasing good shooters for the Wii.

Wii is only good for shooters. Cause its like your holding it yourself! If you get the wii zapper its lush. Call of Duty is the only game on Wii anyways :p

Back