Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Sensor bar on ceiling?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii Chat' started by legbuh, Apr 12, 2007.

1. legbuh

legbuh WiiChat Member

I have a front projection system I want to use with my Wii (it's replacing an XBox..:) )

Anyhow, I wondered about positioning of the sensor bar. See this picture for how I wanted to set it up:

[​IMG]

The room is about 25 feet. The screen is 92" diag. The projector is about 15 feet from the screen. Which leaves 10+ feet in the back to play the Wii without casting shadows, etc.

So I wondered if mounting the sensor bar on the ceiling would work? Would it have to be pointed a certain way? It would be "behind" the wii as the cubby hole in the wall where the Wii would sit is about 10 feet from the screen (in front of the projector)

I will probably have a lot of playing to do, may even build my own sensor bar, but just curious what people have found as far as placement if it's not right on your TV.

2. Alexmeadus

Alexmeadus WiiChat Member

Well, I find that you have to be within 10 feet of it. So maybe stick the Sensor bar on the bottom of the projector? Not up on top of it. It may not work, you may need to make some wedges to put it at an angle.

Be sure to set the Wii settings to "Above TV"

3. dirtdevil[FTv6]

dirtdevil[FTv6] fullthrottlev6 wii

My opinion buy the wireless senor bar and place it on top of the middle speaker. I dout the wired sensor bar will work on the ceiling. I have mine on top of my lcd and I have to point it right in the middle or it will be to high and the sensor wont pick it up.

4. Mau

Mau WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 8829-6844-1117-2743
    8829-6844-1117-2743
    I agree,
    the sensor bar would work on the ceiling only thing, you will not be pointing at the screen, you will be pointing up, it will make no sense... for that set up is better to put it below the tv on top the middle speaker (remember to set it on sensor bar settings below the tv) . Now, I haven't tried a wireless sensor bar, which you should use, so you don't have the cable in the middle. or you can make one yourself, use the search bar, there are plenty of info on it.

5. StevenNevets

StevenNevets WiiChat Member

That would be to high. Not sure if I put this right but picking above or below the TV is only going to make pre-set adjustments of where the cursor should appear on the TV vs's the the position of the sensor bar.

Sense the screen is realy big (much bigger then the pre-set screen size adjustments you won't be able to have your aiming be almost exact with the tv like some.

Put it below and you'll have to aim lower, put it above and you'll have to aim higher. Aiming higher would probobly be more comfortable and natural.

Not positive if I'm understanding the system correctly but if I am then then the ceiling is out and on top of the screen would probobly be best.

6. iantimmy123

iantimmy123 WiiChat Member

It should really go above the screen or you are going to have to point to the projector to make it work. There is a wireless sensor bar out which would be your best bet.

7. AussieWii

AussieWii Banned

as a person who is running a projector with my wii

on top of the centre speaker as has been mentioned is really your only logical option

just make the wire longer and run it along the floor
    to have it on top of the projector you will have to be about 1.5 metres maybe more behind the projector for that to work properly

good luck
    people have complained about not being able to see the ball fly in golf
    when you have a big screen its not an issue
    tennis and boxing on the big screen is a buzz

love it

oh and its not relevant but my screens bigger than yours :cornut:

#7 AussieWii, Apr 13, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2007
  8. legbuh

legbuh WiiChat Member

Does cutting the power wire on the stock sensor and using a 9v battery really work like I've read?

9. iceblade

iceblade WiiChat Member

above the middle speakers is about your only option here

10. jer_bear

jer_bear WiiChat Member

i put my sensor on top of my center speaker. it works great!!

11. legbuh

legbuh WiiChat Member

but when playing we'll be at least 10 feet away from the sensor.. probalby further.

12. Byuakuya

Byuakuya Bleach & Heroes fan.

Nice setup. I also think it should go between the two side speakers.

13. Happy

Happy Dobedobebo

Wii Friend Code: 0710-2343-2773-8881
    0710-2343-2773-8881
    The Wii goes out the window? :ee5k:

14. legbuh

legbuh WiiChat Member

LOL! Its not a window. Originally the room was 25x25. I put a wall up down the middle to make my theater room. Nice, dark basement. :)

Here's a better perspective if you're interested (and these are old pictures, maybe 4-5 years old... things are nicer down there now.. lol)

My Theater

I guess I'll just wait until I actually get a Wii to test things out. I can always install it on my 42 Plasma, but that won't be as fun. :) And that is above a fireplace so it may be bad positioning as well.

15. legbuh

legbuh WiiChat Member

Here's an evey easier idea?

What about a candle on each front speaker? :)

16. strommsarnac

strommsarnac WiiChat Member

Um, it looks like your screen is out from the wall a bit? If so, why not rig up a "sensor" bar (actually an Ir projector, not sure if you knew that) BEHIND the screen.

That way, the Ir signal comes from the CENTER of the screen, not above or below it. So when you are pointing at the center of the image, you're actually pointing at the center, not above it.

Someone else on here (or maybe over on AVSFORUMS) made their own "sensor" bar and did what I'm talking about.

I have a 55" rear projection TV and am really trying to figure out the angles on where INSIDE my TV I would have to put Ir emiters so that they bound properly of the mirror and hit the screen properly, just like the TV picture. Thus completely hiding the bar and the center of the screen becomes the CENTER of the screen.

17. Alexmeadus

Then how would the data transfer?

18. Brawny

Brawny Anglophobiphile

Wii Friend Code: 5385-4035-7079-0395
    5385-4035-7079-0395
    There. Is. No. Data. Transfer. Between. The. Wii-mote. And. The. Wii. Through. The. Sensor. Bar.

19. Alexmeadus

Then What does it "Sense"?

20. Brawny

Brawny Anglophobiphile

Wii Friend Code: 5385-4035-7079-0395
    5385-4035-7079-0395
    Okay, I shall resist the search tut link......Ugghhh

The "sensor" bar sends out a few IR signals. The ir camera on the mote senses them. Some simple middle school mathematics determine it's position, it sends this info to the Wii. send the IR data to the wii too though. Not sure.

Now gimme rep. (scales under my avy. on the bottom)