Sensor bar on ceiling?

legbuh

WiiChat Member
Apr 11, 2007
I have a front projection system I want to use with my Wii (it's replacing an XBox..:) )

Anyhow, I wondered about positioning of the sensor bar. See this picture for how I wanted to set it up:

wiihelp.jpg

The room is about 25 feet. The screen is 92" diag. The projector is about 15 feet from the screen. Which leaves 10+ feet in the back to play the Wii without casting shadows, etc.

So I wondered if mounting the sensor bar on the ceiling would work? Would it have to be pointed a certain way? It would be "behind" the wii as the cubby hole in the wall where the Wii would sit is about 10 feet from the screen (in front of the projector)

I will probably have a lot of playing to do, may even build my own sensor bar, but just curious what people have found as far as placement if it's not right on your TV.

Well, I find that you have to be within 10 feet of it. So maybe stick the Sensor bar on the bottom of the projector? Not up on top of it. It may not work, you may need to make some wedges to put it at an angle.

Be sure to set the Wii settings to "Above TV"

My opinion buy the wireless senor bar and place it on top of the middle speaker. I dout the wired sensor bar will work on the ceiling. I have mine on top of my lcd and I have to point it right in the middle or it will be to high and the sensor wont pick it up.

dirtdevil[FTv6] said:
My opinion buy the wireless senor bar and place it on top of the middle speaker. I dout the wired sensor bar will work on the ceiling. I have mine on top of my lcd and I have to point it right in the middle or it will be to high and the sensor wont pick it up.

I agree,
the sensor bar would work on the ceiling only thing, you will not be pointing at the screen, you will be pointing up, it will make no sense... for that set up is better to put it below the tv on top the middle speaker (remember to set it on sensor bar settings below the tv) . Now, I haven't tried a wireless sensor bar, which you should use, so you don't have the cable in the middle. or you can make one yourself, use the search bar, there are plenty of info on it.

That would be to high. Not sure if I put this right but picking above or below the TV is only going to make pre-set adjustments of where the cursor should appear on the TV vs's the the position of the sensor bar.

Sense the screen is realy big (much bigger then the pre-set screen size adjustments you won't be able to have your aiming be almost exact with the tv like some.

Put it below and you'll have to aim lower, put it above and you'll have to aim higher. Aiming higher would probobly be more comfortable and natural.

Not positive if I'm understanding the system correctly but if I am then then the ceiling is out and on top of the screen would probobly be best.

It should really go above the screen or you are going to have to point to the projector to make it work. There is a wireless sensor bar out which would be your best bet.

as a person who is running a projector with my wii

on top of the centre speaker as has been mentioned is really your only logical option

just make the wire longer and run it along the floor
to have it on top of the projector you will have to be about 1.5 metres maybe more behind the projector for that to work properly

good luck
people have complained about not being able to see the ball fly in golf
when you have a big screen its not an issue
tennis and boxing on the big screen is a buzz

love it

oh and its not relevant but my screens bigger than yours :cornut:

Last edited:
Does cutting the power wire on the stock sensor and using a 9v battery really work like I've read?

but when playing we'll be at least 10 feet away from the sensor.. probalby further.

LOL! Its not a window. Originally the room was 25x25. I put a wall up down the middle to make my theater room. Nice, dark basement. :)

Here's a better perspective if you're interested (and these are old pictures, maybe 4-5 years old... things are nicer down there now.. lol)

My Theater

I guess I'll just wait until I actually get a Wii to test things out. I can always install it on my 42 Plasma, but that won't be as fun. :) And that is above a fireplace so it may be bad positioning as well.

Here's an evey easier idea?

What about a candle on each front speaker? :)

Back