Seriously!!! What do the USB ports do?!

pizzaluvr said:
so, that is a basic function that should be included in the box, it takes about 2 hours to program a music player, and about the same amount of time for a photo player, if i could just hook up an external hard drive to my wii i could play music without my loud 360 fans

I would like to see you code an mp3 player from scratch in 2 hours. :lol:

There is a usb wifi connector (just like the DS) and I heard there will also be a usb ethernet adapter.

I am currently using one of them to power my USB Christmas Tree. It looks quite nice on top of the Wii.

The following is ALL speculation,

Headsets - That would be dumb not to use the bluetooth (as mentioned above)

Hard drive - Simple firmware upgrade. Most USB hard drives / pen drives use thier own drivers, the Wii just needs mass storage device drivers. They could also just upgrade with propriatary drivers and force you to use a Nintendo drive, though I see that getting hacked quite easy and dont think they will go that way.

Added features - Remember Nintendo saying you could add characters and levels and such to games? Imagine going to the store to buy the Twilight Princess expantion. You might get a usb pen drive to pop in the Wii before you load the game. It then uses the updated/added info to add features to the game.

-Bobby

bobby1211 said:
Added features - Remember Nintendo saying you could add characters and levels and such to games? Imagine going to the store to buy the Twilight Princess expantion. You might get a usb pen drive to pop in the Wii before you load the game. It then uses the updated/added info to add features to the game.

-Bobby

That idea sounds cool at first, then I start to think about it. I already payed $50 for Zelda. Then they tell me that what I bought is not the whole game, and I can get the rest for $20? Forget that. I want the whole thing when I buy it the first time. Make it 2 CD's if you have to, but I don't want any add ons to a game.

Have you ever been to Wal Mart, Tacos? If you have, go back to the Xbox360 section and look at the display. There is a place where you can stick your memory card to unlock extras to your game for FREE. They could quite possibly do that with USB drives or SD cards, it all just takes time.

Redan499 said:
Have you ever been to Wal Mart, Tacos? If you have, go back to the Xbox360 section and look at the display. There is a place where you can stick your memory card to unlock extras to your game for FREE. They could quite possibly do that with USB drives or SD cards, it all just takes time.

I have only been to Wal Mart once, and I didn't notice that. Maybe I should go check it out. Except I don't have an XBox. Oh, well. That would be cool if they did free updates. And, I agree. It just takes time. I think they will eventually come out with some really cool stuff. I wonder if they come to places like this to see what people think and what the people want????

yeah you know I was wondering the same thing....cause I plugged my MP3 player in it and it didn't work :( so yeah all it did was charge it....although you can obtain an MP3 to your Wii via SD memory...but yeah I agree totally that you should be able to play your MP3's right off of your player...

but really why you ask is it there to begin with....well to honestly tell you it is considered a standard to the electronic industry so they gotta put it in there....and have future use of it later on...like misc controlers or devices sensors and so on....
:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

I agree mostly with the "Added features" idea.

It's always great to throw in a couple of ports here and there that are still modern and "up to date" in current technology since you'll never know what Nintendo will suddenly come up with.. and you can't expect everyone to buy a new Wii just for added USB ports... so they put it their for the obvious and the unexpected I guess.

Redan499 said:

nintendo also has DS Download stations. ive seen one at circuit city once and they update the downloadable demos often.

Yaaa

i was originnally going to
buy a cellphone that uses an sd card
so i could put it on my wii right away.
but now i like this cellphone but it uses a memory stick pro duo.
i was wondering if i could hook it up on the usb ???
anyone know???
:smilewinkgrin:

did the PS2 USB ports do anything? i dont think so. i also dont think nintendo is as retarted as sony.

ScottieD said:
yeah you know I was wondering the same thing....cause I plugged my MP3 player in it and it didn't work :( so yeah all it did was charge it....although you can obtain an MP3 to your Wii via SD memory...but yeah I agree totally that you should be able to play your MP3's right off of your player...

QFT

I charged my Creative Zen Micro using the USB ports today.

how bout a USB beverage chiller?!

usb_cooler.jpg

Back