Setting up wi-fi

digler

WiiChat Member
Jan 10, 2008
Just bought a Wii and want to connect to the internet.
I was thinking of buying the usb wi-fi adaptor but sean some negative posts. Is it possible to conect to my laptop using a wireless adaptor and conecting to the internet via dsl cable or mobile broadband?
Could anyone tell me the best way to go? Maybe use the LAN adaptor if its not good with wi-fi??

There are a few hundred threads on here exactly like this. You might want to do a search to see the ton of info already given.

The LAN adapter is the simplest setup, as you don't have to configure wireless settings. Otherwise, I would get a wireless router. A wireless adapter connected to a PC is the most-cumbersome setup.

I did do a search but could not come up with anything which applied to my situation.

Unfortunately in my area I am unable to get broadband as there are no available ports at the telephone exchange so I am using mobile broadband by my mobile provider via a usb conected unit which is fine for connecting to the internet.
What I want to know is if its possible to use a laptop wireless adaptor and use my laptop as a sort of router or use a LAN adapator and again use my laptop as a 'router'?
As my connection to the internet is through the usb mobile modem is it still possible to use a router with it. The mobile modem can be found here http://www.three.com.au/cs/ContentS...0837&homeId=1154931041257&subId=1156241342637

if you're inexperienced with wifi or routers then the Nintendo WiFi adapter is for you! It comes with instructions, too.

digler said:
I did do a search but could not come up with anything which applied to my situation.

Unfortunately in my area I am unable to get broadband as there are no available ports at the telephone exchange so I am using mobile broadband by my mobile provider via a usb conected unit which is fine for connecting to the internet.
What I want to know is if its possible to use a laptop wireless adaptor and use my laptop as a sort of router or use a LAN adapator and again use my laptop as a 'router'?
As my connection to the internet is through the usb mobile modem is it still possible to use a router with it. The mobile modem can be found here http://www.three.com.au/cs/ContentS...0837&homeId=1154931041257&subId=1156241342637
I understand what you are trying to do, but I believe your laptop is not able to issue IP addresses or handle MAC addresses the same as a router can. Unless you can connect to a high speed connection through a router, I think you are out of luck.

So is it possible to use a LAN adapter and have a wired connection to my pc?

Or should I just get the usb wireless adapter? Just diddnt want to pay all that money if I could do the job with the equipment I allready have.

digler said:
So is it possible to use a LAN adapter and have a wired connection to my pc?

Or should I just get the usb wireless adapter? Just diddnt want to pay all that money if I could do the job with the equipment I allready have.
Just to be sure I'm clear. You said that you are connecting to the Internet using mobile broadband (cellular), correct?

If that is the case, a LAN adapter will not work for you and you will not be able to use a router but you should be able to use the Nintendo WiFi USB connecter ($30.00). The Wi-Fi USB Connector is a dedicated wireless access point that plugs into a USB port on your laptop. It uses your laptop to access your existing high-speed internet connection.

One of the drawbacks from what I undestand is that it pushes out a weak signal, so you are going to want to make sure that your laptop is sitting close by your wii console.

Last edited:
Dtov said:
Just to be sure I'm clear. You said that you are connecting to the Internet using mobile broadband (cellular), correct?QUOTE]

Thanks Dtov, it is a cellular mobile connection. We got there in the end, I will now go and get a usb wireless adapter.

Thanks again

digler said:
Dtov said:
Just to be sure I'm clear. You said that you are connecting to the Internet using mobile broadband (cellular), correct?QUOTE]

Thanks Dtov, it is a cellular mobile connection. We got there in the end, I will now go and get a usb wireless adapter.

Thanks again
You are very welcome. But dont forget, be sure to purchase a Nintento Wi-Fi USB Connector and not a usb wireless adapter. Good luck.

Wow, sorry but I'm going to correct people here. And the only assumption I'm going to make is that the OP is using a Windows OS (XP or Vista).

So, just set things straight in my mind. Here's how I see you access the net.

Laptop----USB->Cell Service.

??Does your laptop have an Ethernet port? If so, then you have TWO methods for getting the Wii Online.

1. By the Wii LAN adaptor. Within Windows run ICS (Internet Connection Sharing). This will make your laptop route traffic from it's "network" (either ethernet or WiFi) through your USB Cell interface. Let it configure everything, making sure to select your ethernet jack. Write down the settings for IP Address, Subnet Mask, Gateway, DNS. Normally, ICS is used for other PCs and it'll want to create a floppy which will automatically configure clients. You won't be able to use the floppy but ICS will do it for you.

2. Set your laptop's WiFi interface for "Ad-Hoc" mode and again run ICS. Pretty much do the same as #1.

Just so you know, ICS will configure your laptop's Network interface to provide DHCP which your Wii will use to automatically configure it's network settings.

If you go wired, you might have to buy a "cross-over" cable since I don't know if your laptop's ethernet port is auto-detect. Cross-over cables look exactly like a normal network cable, but internally they are different. Should cost about the same too.

Honestly, I would forego buying any adaptor if your laptop has WiFi. Use that and ICS.

Heck, it might be that the way the Wii WiFi adaptor works is by using ICS too, but I don't know since I have a router I use.

strommsarnac said:
Wow, sorry but I'm going to correct people here. And the only assumption I'm going to make is that the OP is using a Windows OS (XP or Vista).

So, just set things straight in my mind. Here's how I see you access the net.

Laptop----USB->Cell Service.

??Does your laptop have an Ethernet port? If so, then you have TWO methods for getting the Wii Online.

1. By the Wii LAN adaptor. Within Windows run ICS (Internet Connection Sharing). This will make your laptop route traffic from it's "network" (either ethernet or WiFi) through your USB Cell interface. Let it configure everything, making sure to select your ethernet jack. Write down the settings for IP Address, Subnet Mask, Gateway, DNS. Normally, ICS is used for other PCs and it'll want to create a floppy which will automatically configure clients. You won't be able to use the floppy but ICS will do it for you.

2. Set your laptop's WiFi interface for "Ad-Hoc" mode and again run ICS. Pretty much do the same as #1.

Just so you know, ICS will configure your laptop's Network interface to provide DHCP which your Wii will use to automatically configure it's network settings.

If you go wired, you might have to buy a "cross-over" cable since I don't know if your laptop's ethernet port is auto-detect. Cross-over cables look exactly like a normal network cable, but internally they are different. Should cost about the same too.

Honestly, I would forego buying any adaptor if your laptop has WiFi. Use that and ICS.

Heck, it might be that the way the Wii WiFi adaptor works is by using ICS too, but I don't know since I have a router I use.
That is a possible solution maybe for the more advanced user. I believe that most people may not be as tech savy as you. I just tried to offer a solution that was simple and effective for the average joe or jane. Most people I know who recieve answers that go slightly over their head go, huh? - Just tryin to keep it simple.

In my point of vie the wireless router is the best option.

Thanks strommsarnac.

I have put my wirless adapter in Ad Hoc mode and thought I had cracked it. My Wii can see the wireless network but when it tries to connect I get the error code 51030. My laptop does not seem to see the Wii.

Im sure this is possible but I cant seem to get it to work. Are you able to give me a step by step guide?

Back