Sharing connection

Themadnun

WiiChat Member
Nov 7, 2006
I was wondering if it is possible to use my laptop as a router (sic) to send a signal to my wii, so that i can get online with it without having to trawl across town to my friends houses, anyone got any feedback?

Uhm, in theory yes, but no not as a 'router' as a server prehaps, but wait I don't understand, how does your laptop get online? Do you have internet access & a modem or what? if you have a modem cant oyu just plug your wii into that :?

My laptop has a wireless card, and i connect to the internet using ethernet. But no, i can't just use a wired connection because i can't find the adaptor anywhere

I see... you mean you can't find the cat5 cable to plug from your wii to the modem?

If so I can maybe walk you through setting your laptop up but its been years so heh

Oh I forgot the Wii doesn't have a Cat 5 input, sigh, Would have been easier had they included one, but ah well, yea then you would need to buy that to do it through your modem. Why not just buy it? how much is it? :S

you would need to setup whats called a proxy server on your laptop, and use that as the gateway on your wii. I'd have to check the WIIs documentation about setting up manual connections.

it wouldn't be a proxy server.. lol... it would be a Server, a proxy server is a computer that allows clients to make indirect network connections to other network services.

As a regular server it would be used simply to channel your existing connection....

Well, are there any pointers you can give me Sytek? Understand if it'll be too much of a problem though..

Back