sharing wii virtual console games

tathaman

WiiChat Member
Oct 16, 2007
is there a way to share the vc games with some one else. as far as I know they can only be played on wii system that is was downloaded on.

josh

tathaman said:
is there a way to share the vc games with some one else. as far as I know they can only be played on wii system that is was downloaded on.

You're right, they're only playable on the system they were purchased from. There's no way to share them.

thats sucks my cousin is getting one from x-mas and I have tons of vc games I think some will eventually find out a way.

no if you download them on your wii you cant move them to another wii i try it when you put them on a sd card and then put it another wii the wii dosent reconised the games

tathaman said:
thats sucks my cousin is getting one from x-mas and I have tons of vc games I think some will eventually find out a way.
Not sure, as to date nobody has publicly came forward with a successful hack. While the bulk of the game information is playable it's that saved data block that exists on the flash ROM that provides RSA encryption, and this block is not copyable. People have tried reverse engineering by means of putting it against an original ROM in attempt to crack the code, however again all attempts publicly have failed.

I don't know if anyone has tried it yet however the only thing I could think is to dump the flash ROM onto more friendly media in hopes of retrieving the code, however there could be even deeper protections embedded to prevent this, as I don't know of anyone who's successfully done this to date. Another delimiting problem is the simple fact that the ROM's and emulators already exist, and most seem to find this task an oxymoron, therefore those who are attempting it are limited.

I think we will see home-brew software and emulators on the Wii before we will see the VC cracked, then again why would you want to? They are already cheap in contrast, even though they could be cheaper, the money compliments the publishers to where the product will continue to be supported.

The only real disadvantage to VC is the inability to transport them temporarily like you can your disc based media, so the option to play them on another system then bring it back home just isn't happening. You can thank those who preference to copy rather than pay for that inability, as if it wasn't for them there would be no need for copy protection and then you could temporarily transport them. :(

thanks KrisKhaos thats all i wanted to know you been an big help

That was exactly the reason why Nintendo hasn't allowed usage of SD cards with VC games. They were afraid people would swap them into other Wii's. I hope it remains impossible so we can use SD cards in the future to store our VC and Wiiware games. Otherwise that 512 hard drive simply won't be enough next year.

Talk about a really low move too. To steal VC games that you can download no risk(They have yet to police it) for free online to your computer. Nintendo has been taking aim at modders, it would be beyond stupid to trash your Wii for games you can put into your computer.

Last edited:
Back