Should i get a PS3 or 360...im still contimplating on which i should get!!

CyanRussel

2062-8990-6509 GET READY!
Mar 19, 2007
In my SSBB kingdom waiting for a challenge
Wii Online Code
3760-9059-7725-6846
Edited by: Carl Nelson [11.20.06]

Subscribe to this feed • Digg This! (7 Diggs, 8 comments) • Save to del.icio.us (61 saves, tagged: ps3 xbox360 games) • Vote at Propeller. 3 votes, no comments. • Email this

A Game Developer's View
UPDATE - November 20, 2007 - It has been exactly one year to the date since this article was written. Please read on, because as you'll see, we were absolutely right in just about every point we made with this article.

I have also written a new article, titled Playstation 3 vs. XBOX 360: One Year Later. Once you have finished reading this one, please go and read that one as well. In it, we contrast the two consoles after the PS3 has had a year to mature. It should be on a level playing field, and it did gain some new advantages (and also suffered from some poor decisions by Sony). We look at the console war from all different angles, beyond just gaming.

As long as consoles have existed, discussions, debates, arguments, fights, and all out WARS have taken place over who makes the best video game units. Growing up, I was always a Nintendo fan boy; I didn't want to hear anything about Sega Genesis... In my mind, Nintendo had Mario, Zelda, and other great first-party titles. Sega had Sonic, and red blood.

Things are slightly more complicated these days however. Console makers are taking different approaches to designing their products; some go for hardcore processing power, others focus more on online gaming. We already have a heated debate going on in our forum about which console is better, PS3 or XBOX 360.

I thought it would be a good idea to ask my friend, who is a lead programmer for a large gaming company that produces games for both PS3 and XBOX 360. He has also worked on PS2, XBOX 1, and PC games in the past 6-or-so years. Obviously, considering his position working with both consoles and both Sony and Microsoft, he doesn't want to step on any toes, so wishes to remain anonymous at this time. Here are his thoughts on the subject:

PS3 vs. XBOX 360
Being a video game developer (I develop for both, Playstation 3 and XBOX 360) people ask me almost daily which platform I think is better. These are my personal feelings, in no way does this reflect my employer.

Short answer: XBOX 360.

Long answer: Price, performance, visual quality, game selection and online support. I think the XBOX 360 wins in every category.

Price: This is obvious; the XBOX 360 core is only $299. The PS3 is around $499 for the 20GB version. It comes with a hard drive, but you don’t need a hard drive to enjoy a lot of great games on the 360 so I think it’s fair to compare both core systems.

Performance: On paper, the PS3 is more powerful. In reality, it’s quite inferior to the 360. Without getting into too many details, the three general-purpose CPU’s the xbox360 has are currently FAR easier to take advantage of than the SPU’s on the PS3. I suspect a few years down the road some high budget, first party PS3 exclusive titles will come out that really take advantage of the SPU’s and do things the XBOX 360 can’t, but I don’t think the console is worth buying based on this speculation (for some it will be though, we'll have to wait and see how these games turn out).

Graphics: The XBOX 360 is a clear winner. The GPU is more powerful. It has more powerful fillrate, and far more pixel and vertex processing horsepower. Part of the reason is their choice of memory, and architecture of pixel and vertex procesing. I can’t get into details but the same vertex shader will run much slower on the PS3 than the XBOX 360. The 360 also has a clever new way rendering high definition anti aliased back buffers. To accomplish the same effect on PS3 is prohibitively expensive. For this reason I think many games will have no choice but to run in non-HD resolutions on the PS3 version, use a lower quality anti aliasing technique, or do back buffer upscaling. The end result in all cases is going to be noticeably worse image quality.

Game Selection: The XBOX 360 has a huge head start here. 1 year is an eternity in gaming. Almost all multi-platform developers have made the XBOX 360 their primary platform due to timing of release-to-market, this means the games will look and perform better on the 360. The PS3 versions will be ports of the 360 versions. (The opposite was true for XBOX 1 vs. PS2). The XBOX 360 is also far faster to develop for due to better development tools (massively popular Visual Studio .NET vs. proprietary, buggy PS3 compiler and debugger), better documentation, and easier architecture (3 general purpose CPU’s vs. 8 specialized processors that require DMA). Timing has also caused all next-gen middleware developers to make XBOX 360 their primary platform, and they will ‘add ps3 support’ as needed. This support will probably be inferior to the XBOX 360’s due to manpower and more importantly, demand. It’s this catch-22 now that will continue to drive the 360 forward and hold PS3 back.

The other obvious point here is that right now the Xbox360 already has a very impressive line-up of titles on store shelves; the ps3 just launched, and has virtually nothing of interest. Also, many 360 games are already discounted ($25 for Fight Night 3 at CircuitCity). PS3 games are all full price since it just launched.

Live: Microsoft’s online support with XBOX1 was phenomenal. They built in-house experience, user base, facilities, $$ commitment from executive level (since it proved successful), and most importantly, feedback from 100,000s of XBOX Live subscribers. Playstation 2’s online support sucked. They are now playing catch-up, trying to emulate Xbox’s model. But they had their hands tied just trying to make the PS3 work, it was incredibly ambitious (blu-ray etc.). I haven’t seen it yet, but I seriously doubt the quality will be anywhere to the level of XBOX 360.

HD Content: The PS3 comes with one built in (blu-ray). The XBOX 360 offers HD-DVD as an add-on for $200. You probably don’t care about HD-DVD right now. But you will soon (The quality between DVD and HD is comparable to VHS vs DVD, if you have the right TV) so I suggest paying attention to the war that’s begun. There are two formats: HD-DVD and BLU-RAY. Basically if you rent a BLU-RAY DVD from Bockbuster, it won’t play in your XBOX 360 HD-DVD, and vice versa with the PS3. The implications of this format war would require another article on its own. But as far as the consoles are concerned, the XBOX 360 wins because the DVD player is a separate unit. Playing movies is very taxing on the DVD reader, and let’s face it. In 3 years when your PS3 DVD drive goes out due to playing lots of movies (PS2 was notoriously bad about this) you will have to go buy another PS3. With the 360, you’ll just chuck your HD-DVD player, and go buy another one at the store. In 3 years standalone units wlil probably only cost about $99-150. Another point for the XBOX 360, is that I don’t know who will win the format-war, so I would rather wait with purchase of a HD player. The PS3 doesn’t give you this option.

PS3 controversy: Shootings, Wallmart fights, $15,000 Ebay sales etc. My advice is ignore it. It will pass soon.

Discuss this article in the forum!

Its hard to pick...doesnt the ps3 have free online? And what this developer is saying, is not really giving me good information...

What do you guys think?:scared:

I say ps3 kuz lets look at games
xbox: halo 3
PS3: metal gear 4, kingdom hearts 3, god of war 3, ratchet and clank, final fantasy

I have them both (and of course a Wii) the PS3 and the Wii are always used, the 360 collects dust in the corner. I prefer the PS3 over the 360.

your probably going to get a lot of controversy from this topic... lol
I say 360 because its got halo.

well i have both, honestly, just look at the exclusive games. i mean, its really really hard for me to choose now that im playing bioshock and dead rising and cod4 (have it for xbox, but its for both systems) on xbox, while my ps3 im playing uncharted (actually just finished, amazing game/ending) and resistance as well as skate (out for both).

both are good PSN (playstation network, sonys response to xbox live) isnt really missing anything, gamerscore would be cool on ps3 but other than that its got a friends list, message system, the works. its almost as nice as LIVE is..and its free.

if you can afford to buy lots of expensive games, or you do it anyways lol, then get a 360, selection cant be beat, but PS3 has its share of good games as well, jsut not as many.

SensesFail said:
well i have both, honestly, just look at the exclusive games. i mean, its really really hard for me to choose now that im playing bioshock and dead rising and cod4 (have it for xbox, but its for both systems) on xbox, while my ps3 im playing uncharted (actually just finished, amazing game/ending) and resistance as well as skate (out for both).

both are good PSN (playstation network, sonys response to xbox live) isnt really missing anything, gamerscore would be cool on ps3 but other than that its got a friends list, message system, the works. its almost as nice as LIVE is..and its free.

if you can afford to buy lots of expensive games, or you do it anyways lol, then get a 360, selection cant be beat, but PS3 has its share of good games as well, jsut not as many.
So on the free online part...i dont need a computer to go online....no plug..?

I just put on the PS3...BAM...its online ready>>?

Dkw0101 said:
I'd say PS3 because these are the games for each:
Xbox 360: Halo 3, Bioshock, Mass effect, a better version of The Orange Box, Gears of War 1 and 2, Exclusive GTA content
PS3: Metal Gear Solid 4, Kingdom Hearts 3, God of War 3, Ratchet and Clank, Final Fantasy 13

Cleaned up your post.

Bold = New games I added
Underline = Could go Multiplatform (Probably won't but could)
Italized = That game hasn't even been announced yet
I also changed the grammar so it's readable.

But my insight?

The 360 is easily the best system right now. It isn't even close. But, the PS3 (Assuming MGS4 and FF13 stay exclusive and don't get delayed) is set for next year. It's got a really good list of games for next year, whereas the 360 really doesn't.

So, if you want the best system now.. get the 360. If you want the best game system after 2008... well, it depends which games you like.

Last edited:
nic7 said:
Cleaned up your post.

Bold = New games I added
Um you do know that there will not be a Gears of War 2 right? Epic designer said so.....Whats his name....Clyde B said that i believe...

Dont feel like looking for the link!!

But back to my question....Its just online like that when i hook it up...or do i have to pay just to go on the internet?

nic7 said:
Cleaned up your post.

Bold = New games I added

1. god of war 3 has been slightly announced(game magazines i saw were talking about it)
2. for final fantasy i don't mean just 13, all the ones coming out.
3. squeenix said they are making a kh3 but they're gonna work on the one for ds and psp first.
4. just because a game has different things on it, doesn't make it an exclusive title.

cyan, i'm pretty sure it's just your regular internet bill you get, ps3 online doesn't cost anything as far as I know.

Last edited:
Gears of War lead designer Cliff Bleszinski said he hoped for the game to expand into graphic novels and eventually film. On November 21, 2006, Microsoft Corporate VP of Global Marketing and Interactive Entertainment Business Jeff Bell stated Gears of War is the first in a trilogy, through sequences on E-Day and the battle of Jacinto Plateau, as well as information on Adam Fenix and his research (which the character finds in Gears).Epic Games Vice President Mark Rein posted a message on the official Gears of War Internet forums, stating "It's not over until it is not fun anymore", and, in his view, Gears of War may become the next Halo series in terms of popularity.

The ending to Gears of War heavily suggested a sequel is in the works, and at the 2007 Game Developers Conference, Bleszinkski confirmed that Epic Games does "intend to do a sequel" to Gears of War.

@DKw0101
1. Reread my post. I never denied God of War 3's existence
2. There will be final fantasy's on every platform; the PS3, 360, PSP, Wii, and DS, like there always is. So, I figured you were talking about the only one confirmed for PS3
3. And, although Kingdom Hearts 3 has been officially announced, no one knows what platform it's going to. (Although PS3 is in front)
4. Reread my post yet again. I said exclusive content, not title.

Last edited:
Dkw0101 said:
cyan, i'm pretty sure it's just your regular internet bill you get, ps3 online doesn't cost anything as far as I know.
I know its free....but that didnt really answer my question

Like when i buy it...bring it home...i dont need to connect anything for it to be online on any plug....dont need to put a wireless router on my computer..

I just put the system on and its browser pops up right there..was really all my question was...

If you know...please tell..:smilewinkgrin:

nic7 said:
@DKw0101
1. Reread my post. I never denied that God of War 3's existence
2. There will be final fantasy's on every platform; the PS3, 360, PSP, Wii, and DS, like there always is. So, I figured you were talking about the only one confirmed for PS3
3. And, although Kingdom Hearts 3 has been officially announced, no one knows what platform it's going to. (Although PS3 is in front)

ummm lets see, a game heavy in story and going to other consoles skipping the first 2 parts? i think it would be a ps3 exclusive because of again, the story.

nic7 said:
@DKw0101
1. Reread my post. I never denied that God of War 3's existence
Was that quote current or.....

if so then....i guess their could be another G.O.W. coming out.

ooo sorry cyan umm i'm not sure about the connecting, there probably a wireless reciever somewhere between everything, if not you may need to connect to broadband or something.

Dkw0101 said:
ooo sorry cyan umm i'm not sure about the connecting, there probably a wireless reciever somewhere between everything, if not you may need to connect to broadband or something.
Ahh, dont worry about it...you tried to help another member....and that is what you did...Be happy man:lol:

THANKS

Back