Should I get Smash Bros. (gamecube game) to practice for Wii Brawl???

Dubb's Wii

All Mighty
Jun 18, 2007
So. Cal.
Wii Online Code
7500-4049-1798-0971
Hello everyone. I find that the closer it gets to the release of Super Smash Bros. Brawl from the Wii, I grow even more and more interested in the game. I even went down to gamestop and reserved my copy for the day it comes out.
The game is looking pretty good (from the shots and screens that I've seen) and I am glad they have decided to take more time for a better game. So, anyways, as you can see, I am looking forward to the game and the online play.

Now, here is my question. I am new to the whole "Smash Bros." games series and haven't EVER played the original gamecube smash bros. game. I have years of experience playing fighting games as well as every other kind of game but I'm not sure if I should go get Melee for GC now to practice and get a feel for the game?? Is it a hard game to figure out or do you think I will be okay just picking up the Wii version and hoping right into the mix?? And is the Melee game for GC (when played on the GC or Wii) online compatible??? Just curious. Give me some of your thoughts.

Dubb's Wii said:
Hello everyone. I find that the closer it gets to the release of Super Smash Bros. Brawl from the Wii, I grow even more and more interested in the game. I even went down to gamestop and reserved my copy for the day it comes out.
The game is looking pretty good (from the shots and screens that I've seen) and I am glad they have decided to take more time for a better game. So, anyways, as you can see, I am looking forward to the game and the online play.

Now, here is my question. I am new to the whole "Smash Bros." games series and haven't EVER played the original gamecube smash bros. game. I have years of experience playing fighting games as well as every other kind of game but I'm not sure if I should go get Melee for GC now to practice and get a feel for the game?? Is it a hard game to figure out or do you think I will be okay just picking up the Wii version and hoping right into the mix?? And is the Melee game for GC (when played on the GC or Wii) online compatible??? Just curious. Give me some of your thoughts.

1. The gamecube game is NOT the original, is the sequel, Melee, to the ORIGINAL smash bros. on n64

2. YES, pick it up...this game is not your traditional fighting game...it is like part fighting, part platformer and part strategy in a way mixed into one on giant on screen levels versus other people, its very fast paced and the damage/health system is totally different from what your used to

3. no online at all whatsoever, if you want a challenge play against friends next to you or crank up 3 npc's to lvl 9 or do some of the event challenges

so in short: YES, get melee and get used to the ssb world before you go online and get embarrased (no offense intended)

yea, you should get melee. itll realy help you out in brawl. smash bros is not exactly a pick-up-and-play game. well, i mean it can be but ull still get ur a** whooped if you dont know wat ur doin. theres many elements to the game

You don't even need to get Melee to train for Brawl. You should get it simply because it's Melee.

ssbb_lover said:
You don't even need to get Melee to train for Brawl. You should get it simply because it's Melee.

Listen to this wise man's words of wisdom..

ssbb_lover said:

lol, touche (or two-shay...duno spelling)

yes get it... its a brilliant game that will take you a while to master... by matster i mean beat 3v1 lvl 9 npc...

toomstone said:
yes get it... its a brilliant game that will take you a while to master... by matster i mean beat 3v1 lvl 9 npc...

thats not incredibly difficult, i think u can master it if u play 3v1 against 3 other PEOPLE who can beat 3v1 lvl 9's lol...thats a master

and it depends on the npc's and your char of choice as well

but yes, its fun to master

toomstone said:
LMFAO. That's not mastering. That's an easy goal. "Mastering" is getting down essentials like Wavedashing, edge hogging, light dashing, etc.

*EDIT*

Like metalfreak said, if you can play against 3 other people that can be 3 lvl. 9's, that's a different story. :/

Back