Should We Pay for Online???

Jaland

WiiChat Member
Mar 14, 2008
First of all, at first i was 150% like all of you and said hell would freeze over before I played for online. But the more it TRY to play online the more I am willing to just say **** it just give me an annual charge and get some half decent servers. I hate to say it but they need to pull an Xbox live and get a decent online network. I would be willing to pay 50 bucks a year for it as long as they did a decent job.
What do you guys think?

I'm willing to pay for something worthwhile that's important to me. I pay for my email service, and it's better than the free ones.

That said... it'd depend on what I got for my money, and how much. Right now I'm not compelled.

My stomach actually churned when I read this about 30 seconds ago in my Game Informer. Where does Nintendo even have room to think about pay-to-play? For the love of all things holy, they can't even do it right on free-to-play! There's no form of communications, at the exception of one or two games that include pre-made phrases. The wii-code system is so bulky and such a hassle that none of my friends ever care enough. Online play hasn't even surfaced in many of their games, and the ones it has, have had major connectivity and play issues.

Even *IF* they got rid of connectivity problems, the way they do it, making everyone seem like robots that have no personality represented by 50 character codes, its horrible. Don't try to be an xbox, be a Wii!

Sshado said:
My stomach actually churned when I read this about 30 seconds ago in my Game Informer. Where does Nintendo even have room to think about pay-to-play? For the love of all things holy, they can't even do it right on free-to-play! There's no form of communications, at the exception of one or two games that include pre-made phrases. The wii-code system is so bulky and such a hassle that none of my friends ever care enough. Online play hasn't even surfaced in many of their games, and the ones it has, have had major connectivity and play issues.

Even *IF* they got rid of connectivity problems, the way they do it, making everyone seem like robots that have no personality represented by 50 character codes, its horrible. Don't try to be an xbox, be a Wii!

yeah thsats the point. they make us pay so we get way better online service

anyways, pay-to play will only be used for dlc, voice chat and such.

I think Nintendo should stay free, first of all because nobody really wants to pay for online, even some 360 fans would prefer it to be free. Secondly all consoles have their ups and downs, and one of the Nintendo Wii's ups is to have online play for free, I haven't got a problem with the current servers. While one of the 360's downs is paying for online play, so it kind of balances out. *what a rant that was*

Foosoo said:
I think Nintendo should stay free, first of all because nobody really wants to pay for online, even some 360 fans would prefer it to be free. Secondly all consoles have their ups and downs, and one of the Nintendo Wii's ups is to have online play for free, I haven't got a problem with the current servers. While one of the 360's downs is paying for online play, so it kind of balances out. *what a rant that was*

well i would pay certain amount of money if i can get good online. playing online in wii feels bland.

And don't forget that XBox Live suffered serious problems in the last part of December and into January even though it's a pay service.

Listen. The whole "Pay for Play" thing is just retarded and sad. Paying for online is X-Box's thing! I think what makes Nintendo have it's charm is that it is pretty cheap and cheerful. I'm sure they have ALL this money for selling like one and a half million copies of Brawl. I think Nintendo has made a stupid move because nobody is going to have fun online because everybody is PAYING!! Nice Job Nintendo! Nice Job!

It depends what they offer. If they offer more than just a match making service like xbox 360 then sure.

It will be way better to pay to play. Think about it. Would you rather have a crappy free online service where it just seems like your playing against "smarter than avereage" computers, or would you rather have to pay to play online so that we can acctually get decent online play where it ACTUALLY seems like your playing other people? That being said I think everybody should be willing to pay-to-play... unless you like half-assed online play with almost no difference than playing offline...

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree! I mean imagine being on brawl, all excited and that! Then they hook you up with some Asian guy who got the game a year early or something, owns you, and then you get pissed and quit! It makes me mad! I was hoping it would be a xbox live, or pc type thing but nooooooo! Nintendo had to go and be the bottom of the line gaming! I hope they get there ass in gear and pull it together and do some thing good like xbox live!

Back