Sky HD and HD TV Related Questions

Lewi T

WiiChat Member
May 28, 2007
Wii Online Code
0000-0000-0000-0000
Right, firstly, in my front room I have an SD TV with Sky, and I have an HD TV in my backroom and my bedroom. Just incase you needed to know.

[Note: HD TV related questions towards the bottom, so if you don't know anything about Sky HD but do about HD TV's then just scroll down]

Sky HD Questions
*So does anybody know if, the cable from the satellite dish to the Sky HD box is the same as the cable from the satellite dish to a normal Sky box/Sky+ box?

-If it is, is it possible to have a Sky HD box installed in the backroom, then once I get an HD TV in the front room move the HD box into there an put the normal Sky box in the backroom?

-If it isn't, is it impossible to do the above?

*Also, are HDMI cables readily available yet to go from the Sky HD box in the front/back room, to the bedroom? Because I know they can be expensive, and we are talking buying them in several metres here, so I was wondering if you can buy them without having to like, re-morgage the house 0_o

*Anybody have any idea when Sky HD multiroom is available?

HD TV Questions
*So I'm looking to buy a new HD TV for the front room. Am I correct in saying it is worth getting a 1080p one rather than a 720p, even if I sacrifice a few inches in screen size (say from 42 - 37)?

*But anyway, any suggestions of 1080p HD televisions (37" +) from experience or just your own knowledge? (Out of interest, what one would you recommend if money was no object?) More practically though, a budget of around £800 - £1000 is more likely, good examples from each end of that range would be nice :) Also, am I correct in believing that some brands are better for watching say, football (soccer, and probably just sports), and some are better for watching say, documentaries? Do you know any examples of either?

*Where would you recommend to buy the televisions that you suggest? Bear in mind I live in the UK, so UK stores or websites would probably be practical.

*And one last thing, it isn't too relevant to me as I don't have one, but I was wondering - how much better does the PS3 look on a 1080p TV than on a 720p TV?

A lot of questions there but any responses would be much appreciated, thanks.

I'm not active in this community, but I noticed you weren't getting much help so here we go:

~Sky HD~
Provided you've already got sky+ no extra cables will be required. If you don't (Only regular sky) then you'll need and additional cable from the LNB on the dish to the television.

Also, If you wanted to put the HD box in the backroom and then move it and replace with regular sky later on, you'd need a Sky Multiroom subscription which is an extra £10 a month.

The current generation only allows HDMI to go to the first television, the second one is still stuck with the RF out (SDTV)

~HD~
go for 1080p. 720p isn't worth it at all.

http://www.samsung.com/uk/products/television/tftlcd/le40m86bdxxeu.asp?page=Specifications
^--- That's a nice TV, and you can get it quite cheap too :)

And Anything looks a lot better on 1080p as opposed to 720p, it's really low res in comparison.

All the best

Last edited:
Oh yeah I know the Multiroom costs an extra £10 a month...we only have regular Sky in the front room, so are you saying that the cable from the dish to a Sky+ box is the same as the cable from the dish to a Sky HD box? Hence if we were to upgrade to Sky HD and put it in the back room (with the HDTV), and then get a Sky+ box in the front room (with the SDTV), when we eventually got an HDTV in the frontroom we could simply swap them around?

Gutted, I won't be watching HD in my room then yet!

I was always thinking of going for the 1080p, it seems pretty obvious to get the latest like, and I do like the look of that Samsung, the other 2 HDTV's in my house are Samsung so I will be looking to see how much that is.

Thanks for your help anyway d4rk, it's much appreciated :)
Thanks as well Gaz for them two TV's, I'll be keeping them in mind also.

if u are a samsung fan, have a look around various uk online stores such as;
ebuyer
dabs
maplins
pcworld
argos
currys
dixons

pcworld currys and dixons will probs have the same price for everything, simply because they are owned by the same company.

Yeah I keep looking and I've been seeing some good ones, I was just hoping for more people to give their views on here of which ones to look out for! Oh well...yeah its annoying that PC World, Currys, Dixons and Comet I think, are owned by the same company! They're the only real electrical stores on the high street, but they're all the same! I'm going to keep searching though.

Lewi T said:
Yeah I keep looking and I've been seeing some good ones, I was just hoping for more people to give their views on here of which ones to look out for! Oh well...yeah its annoying that PC World, Currys, Dixons and Comet I think, are owned by the same company! They're the only real electrical stores on the high street, but they're all the same! I'm going to keep searching though.
yeah comet as well, but they all have the same bad staff!

actually, comet's a different company as I worked in a Dixons group store once.

Ahh, I wasn't sure with Comet, I knew the others were though.

rather than a long HDMI cable a long component cable may be better/cheaper option, it's still HD

the SkyHD box outputs HDMI & component in HD and SCART x 2 and RF in SD simultaniously so you could connect 1 Sky HD box to a few TVs (2 of which in HD) using just the boxes outputs without even needing any splitters etc, this may be a cheaper option than multiroom if you're all happy watching the same thing

Back