Smoking causes Wii disc read problems?

josh85

the cake is a lie
Mar 21, 2008
Seattle
Wii Online Code
0921-4228-6928-2708
I just read on a closed thread that smoking can cause problems with the delicate optical sensor of a Wii:wtf: . Is this true? If so does it effect new Wii's that can deal with SSBB? My girlfriend and I have two wii's and smoke heavily. If we have any issues I'll be sure to post them

Well, seems pretty obvious to me:

Smoking creates lots of particulates in the air which settle on all things and coat them with a sticky sludge. The Wii (like other optical media readers) uses a ridiculously-sensitive laser and laser-pickup to read the disc. When this gets dirty, you get problems.

Cigarette smoke is harder to clean off than other forms of dust. A little brushing often isn't enough, and you often have to use a light solvent like alcohol. I speak from 15+ years in the IT industry, much of that fixing computers.

Just another way smoking is bad (aside from the obvious health issues).

Why not just cover it up a bit when not using it? At least you can minimize the damage :)

Skitz0 is genius. Its called the wii system stacker and it covers all but the ports. I use that and i move my discs from wii to case. I also smoke but on weekends only. Was the damaged one at a bar?

-Death- said:
Skitz0 is genius. Its called the wii system stacker and it covers all but the ports.
Genius? Are you crazy?

You do realize that the Wii has a fan, right?
You do realize what the fan is for, right?
You do realize what happens when you block the airflow?
You do realize how many other threads there are about Wii hardware damage from overheating?

You can't both protect the Wii from smoke and let it breathe and keep cool, without a huge, dense filter (huge so it doesn't restrict airflow for the Wii's puny fan).

Yeah mick Genius, cause ive had mine in the stacker here since day one. It just encases the wii so the fan can run and u can insert games. Mainly its for dust collecting on the top of it aka micro smoke pellets.
Also smoke it up people, i mean it makes my job easier.
-ATHF- Err “Smoke as you are doing so”

-Death- said:
It just encases the wii so the fan can run and u can insert games.
If it's letting the fan draw air through the Wii, then it's letting smoke into the Wii too and not protecting the laser optics from smoke build-up at all. So it's not a solution.

It makes plenty of sense for smoke to completely ruin your Wii.
I remember when we first moved into our home, I spent hours scrubbing the thick film of smoke off my bedroom walls. It was terrible. If it sticks to the Wii as bad as it does to walls, that can be a big problem later on.

sremick said:
Genius? Are you crazy?

You do realize that the Wii has a fan, right?
You do realize what the fan is for, right?
You do realize what happens when you block the airflow?
You do realize how many other threads there are about Wii hardware damage from overheating?

You can't both protect the Wii from smoke and let it breathe and keep cool, without a huge, dense filter (huge so it doesn't restrict airflow for the Wii's puny fan).

I said why not cover it when it's not being used. When it's not being used it's not turned on...therefore anything you've mentioned about fans is moot.
I don't claim to be a genius, but I'd say it's fair to assume you're not one either with that sort of retort ;-)
Or perhaps you just didn't read very well :p

Last edited:
haha moot. if lung cancer aint gonna make you quit, the threat to your wii must at least push you to. Slide your finger down your wall, if it turns yellow, then you gotta problem and so does your wii

Skitz0 said:
I said why not cover it when it's not being used. When it's not being used it's not turned on...therefore anything you've mentioned about fans is moot.
I don't claim to be a genius, but I'd say it's fair to assume you're not one either with that sort of retort ;-)
Or perhaps you just didn't read very well :p
Do you always jump right to insulting forum longtime forums members when just on your 3rd post? Gives us lots of incentive to try and help you in the future.

The Wii's fan runs even when it's "off". This was added with recent firmware updates as a way to try and control the overheating that is damaging Wii's.

Unless you're totally unplugging it when you're not using it, but I doubt that. And even if you are, the fan runs while it's on, pulling that smokey air through the Wii's delicate optics.

So nice try, but no. It's not a solution. If you care about your Wii (and your health), don't smoke.

Back