Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

So if I get a router....

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii Online' started by Mighty Fish, May 3, 2007.

1. Mighty Fish

Mighty Fish WiiChat Member

I'm currently using a Netgear CG814wg v2 cable modem/router. I know a fair bit about computers but networking isn't something I've ever really dealt with before. The CG814 came from Time Warner Cable with the wireless internet package I ordered, we've had it for some time. I've had no real troubles with wireless internet on my laptop, nor any trouble with a direct line to my desktop. But, of course, my Wii refuses to connect to the internet with this device.

I've read around online here, as well as nintendo's support and a couple other places and it seems my best alternative is to simply buy a new router. I usually order my stuff from Newegg, and almost purchased one today but then I realized it had no place for cable input. My question is, if I DO purchase a new router, can I place a line from the current CG814 modem to my new router, or will that subject it to the difficulties I'm having now? IE Can I simply use the current modem/router as a adapter to get the service to my router, or will it inherently take over as the router itself, as it is now.

Am I better off simply buying a non wireless cable modem and then a wireless router separately?

2. FR.

FR. Moderator

Wii Friend Code: 4253-4708-4555-0363
    4253-4708-4555-0363
    Get an Airport Extreme Base Station..it's the quickest one out in the market. Cable modem is usually slow, I prefer T1-T3+. What you suggested is a good choice to make anyway.

3. ciper

ciper

Dont take FR's advice. Get a router that supports the HyperWRT firmware so you can get support from real end users and receive updates even after the manufacturer EOLs the model.

Why are you unable to get the Wii connected to your current router? Have you tried disabling encryption as a test?

4. Mighty Fish

I've disabled all security settings on my current router, and tried default settings as well. Neither has worked. Additionally, nintendo says this about my setup:

Additionally, I'm not very happy with the current wireless capabilities of this device so wouldn't mind getting a different one anyhow.

5. ciper

ciper

Well shoot! I can't believe Nintendo would effectively go against industry standard and send unsolicited data to the Wii while online :/ I havn't heard of other consoles having issues with stateful packet inspection!

Either way I suggest on of the models listed here (not completely up to date) http://www.thibor.co.uk/#downloads

6. gh05t

gh05t Chicken Wings

Wii Friend Code: 8827-4732-7476-9087
    8827-4732-7476-9087
    well you could get the usb thing for ur comp that nintendo has its a little thing looks sorta like a usb pen drive and u plug it in and lets u go online using that... i had problems connecting to the internet but i got it working by moving it fairly close umm yeahh i dont know too much about networking soo i cant really help u

7. ciper

ciper

gh05t: Actually no that wouldn't help. The problem is between the Wan and Lan side of the router, the USB dongle wouldn't change that part of the path.

8. Mighty Fish

9. ciper

ciper

I read the document for your router and could find no way to put it into bridged/passive mode to allow you to use your own router :/

If your ISP wants to charge you for a new modem then tell them to screw off and get one on your own. Lots of people upgrade their modem and they never ask for the old model back so you could get a used unit and provide the MAC address to your provider. At worst case I wouldnt mind to sell you my old one for 5$ plus shipping ;)

If you are going to get the GL from newegg make sure its version 1 or 1.1

10. Mighty Fish

Thank you Ciper, you are being a great help.

I suppose I will be buying a new router then, I suppose I'll get me a new cable modem as well, I'm afraid that when I ask the cable company for a new modem I might end up having issues with the new one anyhow, but I guess I'll try.

I looked at the details for the GL from newegg and I wasn't able to determine if it was version 1 or 1.1 as I'm not sure what that refers to.

11. ciper

ciper

Send an email to NewEgg and ask them what version of the router it is. The revision/version number is listed on the bottom right near the model number. I say to get 1 or 1.1 because then you can use third party firmwares which let you change all sorts of cool options including the ability to increase the transmitter power!

It doesnt hurt to ask them for a new one. Say that you want a regular cable modem so that you can use your own router with it. In reality your best place to ask for help is on the DSLReports forums. There are plenty of knowledgeable members including some that work for your ISP!