some help please

Shadow*91

Not Here
Jan 26, 2009
Another site.
Wii Online Code
0000-0000-0000-0000
i've had my PS3 for nearly 3 weeks.

i've been trying to get online with it but haven't been able to.
it won't link into the same signal my wii is linked into.
when i try it says it works but needs an update. when i try to update it says i need internet to update.

any help?

P.S. i know the internet signal works because i can use the internet perfectly on my wii. in fact i'm making this through the internet channel.

Is it just not letting you start the update at all? or is it some kind of error? Because if you are using the PS3 to make this post then the PS3 is obviously it's picking up the same WiFi signal that the Wii uses.

Try turning off the Media Server Connection in the Network settings. Also go to Settings and Connection Status List and make sure everything is okay. Make sure the connection is Enabled, check the signal strength and make sure it's on wireless.

I don't know what's wrong with your PS3 but you can atleast start with these things.

i'm using internet channel on the wii, not the PS3.

its getting a 60% signal strength.
it says the connection works, but it needs an update.
when i try to update it says i need an internet connection, which its getting a 60% signal from

Oh, try a wired connection to see if it works

But if you are getting a signal it sounds like maybe the router is maybe not assigning it a IP? or maybe something is blocking the connection?

Did you try disabling Media Server Connection?

yes. and no luck.
also this is the signal from my mom's computer. she won't let anyone touch it. shes fine with me linking into the signal but she won't allow a wired connection

In the "Test Connection" option in your PS3, does your PS3 has an IP assigned? Does your router has a password enabled in order to connect?

The PS3 will show a valid signal indicator from your router whether it's really connected to it or not. Sometimes an incorrect password is the culprit.

its has the correct IP and everything. it claims the internet works.
but when i go to update it claims i need internet.

Can you connect to de ps store? Can you browse the web? If not then probably the gateway provided by the router or the DNS server is not correct.

I recommend deleting the connection and then creating it again using the easy configuration.

Last edited:
i've done that but no luck.

also it says i need to update in order to do that stuff. and its the "update" that keeps screwing up

you can always download the update on your pc and then use a USB thumb drive to update the PS3

try the official playstation forums. Go in the technical discussion portion of it, they are sure to have the answer, if not you may have to call up Sony, but I won't be surprise if they tell you to call your network provider or something.

Just google Playstation forum

Back