Someone tell me, Why keep the wii?

Its simple.....

The success of the Wii took 3rd party developers off guard. They were all concentrating on the PS3 and 360. They expected the 2 of them to be in most gamers homes by now.

The success of the Wii has caused problems for them. The control system means longer development and the demographic of Wii owners if a lot wider then normal. Some of them have tried to rush out releases to cash in and it hasnt come off.

I'm a little surprised by anyone complaining that the only good Wii games are first part nintendo titles. What do you expect ? Its their console, they have taken time to develop these games. To me, it just show what can be achieved. 3rd party developers are all saying how great it is and how they have missed out. They will eventually catch up and possibly even surpass nintendos effects.

By this time next year the shelves will be overflowing with Wii titles.

I'm happy enough with MP3, Mario Galaxy and MOA heroes 32 player online and Mario kart 12 player online for the near future

In response to the thread in general:

When it comes to the Wii, I am biding my time for the good games to come out; sure I have one, doesn't mean I'm buying every game that comes out for it. I've bought quite a few already, and admittedly the very good games I've got are a minority, but I'm happy.

What about third party games that are ported to all systems, eh? I think I spent most of my game time on the previous generation playing ported games, not that they were all that good. This generation, games ported to all the different systems seem to be the flotsam of gaming once again.

The Xbox360 and PS3 don't have that many in house titles coming up either, actually they have less and a lot of their games seem to be shooters or sports games of some kind. At least Nintendo makes an effort these days to develop their own games and invite third party at the same time (though it wasn't like that in the past, I know).

Did I mention that girls and women like the Wii? Interpret that however you want.

Kherrek508 said:
LoZ:TP
MP3
Wii Sports
Super Paper Mario
Mario Kart*
SSBB*
Mario Galaxy*
Wii Fit*
Mario Strikers: Charged
Mario Party 8
WarioWare: Smooth Moves
Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles*
*=Not yet released as of this post.

It depends on how you look at it. It appears that you are referring to the "best games on the console" type killer-apps and not the "be-all-end-all (for the console)" killer apps. In that case, what I put on the list fits near-perfectly. (even though LoZ has a port on the Gamecube... it plays like it was made just for the Wii)
LoZ:TP - port/old franchise
MP3 - old franchise
Wii Sports - tech demo, this is the thing that defined the wii in the start but its not a real game and dosent keep your interest
Super Paper Mario - port/old frachise
Mario Kart* - old franchise
SSBB* - old franchise
Mario Galaxy* - old franchise
Wii Fit* - this game could be a killer app, but not for gamers and its more of weight training thing more than a game.
Mario Strikers: Charged - old franchise
Mario Party 8 - old franchise
WarioWare: Smooth Moves - old franchise but a game like this dosent have the stuff to be a killer app
Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles* - light gun game defining a console, repeat that to yourself. it could and probably will be popular but its not THE game.

@tom i dont, i pefer a 360, this will be obvious but i try to stick to the facts more than "wii sucks" which you should know by now.

milliways said:
In response to the thread in general:

When it comes to the Wii, I am biding my time for the good games to come out; sure I have one, doesn't mean I'm buying every game that comes out for it. I've bought quite a few already, and admittedly the very good games I've got are a minority, but I'm happy.

What about third party games that are ported to all systems, eh? I think I spent most of my game time on the previous generation playing ported games, not that they were all that good. This generation, games ported to all the different systems seem to be the flotsam of gaming once again.

The Xbox360 and PS3 don't have that many in house titles coming up either, actually they have less and a lot of their games seem to be shooters or sports games of some kind. At least Nintendo makes an effort these days to develop their own games and invite third party at the same time (though it wasn't like that in the past, I know).

Did I mention that girls and women like the Wii? Interpret that however you want.
look up coming games 07 Q4 - 08 Q2 for the 360 and PS3. every console gets sports games btw. also, those girls and women who like the wii probably arent gamers, do you want a console made for girls and grandparents?

Last edited:
Wii is the best selling console.

If you were a 3rd party developer, which platform would you develop for ?

Wii

Exactly !! but we have to give them a chance. As they ahve all spent the last couple of years on heavy 360 and PS3 games.

Most poeple on here bought the Wii for Zelda, Wii sports and the new control system. Nintendo never promised the type of games lineup that is expected on the main 2 systems, so you cant moan about it now. If you cant wait for (good) 3rd party games to turn up, whilst enjoying Nintendos unique offerings, then cash in and get an xbox or whatever.

It was never sold to you as a direct replacement to a 360 or Ps3, in fact if i remember correctly, before launch they said explicitly that it wasnt and that many gamers would buy a Wii allngside a more powerfull machine.

It is only now with such success that poeple forget and start to compare directly with the Ps3 and 360.

Sovieto said:
look up coming games 07 Q4 - 08 Q2 for the 360 and PS3. every console gets sports games btw. also, those girls and women who like the wii probably arent gamers, do you want a console made for girls and grandparents?
Hahahaha. You do realise that milliways is actually one of those "gamer girls"?

Actually between me and milliways, we know quite a few girls that play on the Wii or have been avid Nintendo fans for a while.

Another thing is that, whilst every console gets sports games, none of them except Wii games will appeal to anything but "footies fans" or "Tennis fans" etc...

Also, considering Nintendo has never released the flood gates like they have for the Wii, we do have more games than normal to look forward to. The amount of times people have commented on the fact that there's "so many games I want to get" should tell you something.

sovieto said:
LoZ:TP - port/old franchise
MP3 - old franchise
Wii Sports - tech demo, this is the thing that defined the wii in the start but its not a real game and dosent keep your interest
Super Paper Mario - port/old frachise
Mario Kart* - old franchise
SSBB* - old franchise
Mario Galaxy* - old franchise
Wii Fit* - this game could be a killer app, but not for gamers and its more of weight training thing more than a game.
Mario Strikers: Charged - old franchise
Mario Party 8 - old franchise
WarioWare: Smooth Moves - old franchise but a game like this dosent have the stuff to be a killer app
Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles* - light gun game defining a console, repeat that to yourself. it could and probably will be popular but its not THE game.

@tom i dont, i pefer a 360, this will be obvious but i try to stick to the facts more than "wii sucks" which you should know by now.
So what if some are from a franchise? Doesn't stop people drooling over things like Halo 3, Devil May Cry 4, Metal Gear Solid 4, Silent Hill 5 or Final Fantasy XIII.

Also, considering the amount of variation that goes into most Nintendo franchises like Zelda, Mario, Starfox (adventure game for flips sake!), etc... If anyone who likes H3, DMC4, MGS4, SH5 or FFXIII complains that Nintendo's franchises are a downfall is a hypocrite.

LOZ was a port, but it was released on the Wii before the GC. It was also realy good.
MP3 from the reviews is almost perfect, despite what stupid anti-Nintendo reviewers may say (Variety, I'm looking at you).
Wiisports was a title designed to help people get used to the Wiimote, and it's still played today, especially when people come over. That doesn't make it bad though.
Paper Mario was a hit, and provided a gameplay system that was both challenging and amusing.
Super Mario Kart is a franchise that's done extremely well, because it plays well. It's next iteration is going online as well (good for some, others won't use this feature).
SSBB is the next iteration of the Smash Bros franchise, both previous games have been awesome and playable even now, and the next one is set to top the previous two, with ease. It'll be a guaranteed play and should be on anyone's list who likes Nintendo.
Galaxy is a brand spanking new Mario title that redifines the platform genre. It seems to play excellently and everybody has praise for it.
Wiifit is an exercise game that will get you off your fat arse and actually help with your health. Considering there's plenty of couch potatoes out there already, I think it can only be a good thing.
Strikers is supposedly very playable. I personally haven#'t played the original nor this one, but reviews are positive and it was the first game for the UK to be online.
Mario Party 8 - Meh.
Warioware was extremely good fun. It was also quite addictive, and a good thing to crack open again and again (I know I have)
RE:Umbrella Chronicles seems like an awesome addition to the Resi Evil universe, and is set to uncover some of the secrets behind the games. Also has two players for once, which is quite refreshing.

Whilst most of them are franchises in some way, why is it a bad thing? Most of the titles have evloved over the years to create new ways of playing and brand new story lines. It's not like they're unoriginal either. They're certainly more original than "Gerneric Shooter" (Resistance for example. The point is, is that franchises can be original. "original games" can be generic. Putting an emphasis on non-franchise games offers no true criticism whatsoever (which is what you were trying to do).

Wii hasn't even been out for a year yet.
360 is just now getting Halo 3 next month. Is your attention span that short that you can't wait for games to come out?

Here's a little trick. Try to focus less on the hardcore games. Go find some kids your age and invite them over to play Wii Sports. I bet you will find you will have a bunch of fun and you will probably make some friends too. Then, when it's nice and sunny out or a nice layer of snow is on the ground, you can go out with your new friends an enjoy life.

I love your point squall7. People seem to be very selective when complaining about "same old franchises" from this gaming generation.

I find it ironic that this list contains games the "hardcore" gamers are excited for...

Halo 3
Devil May Cry 4
Metal Gear Solid 4
Dynasty Warriors 6
Final Fantasy 13
Grand Theft Auto 4
Gran Turismo 5

I mean, the youngest game on this list is Halo and it's on it's third iteration. How can all these sequels be different from Nintendos sequels? Seriously, Dynasty Warriors 6? That game has hardly changed since it was released!!

Keep in mind Metal Gear Solid 4 is actually the 6th or 7th game in the Metal Gear series. And I'm sick of all the Final Fantasy games. I love the Zelda series because it always has a new theme; music, twilight, masks, flying/sailing. Although, I wish they'd kill off Ganondorf and make a new villian.

Sovieto said:
do you want a console made for girls and grandparents?
Y'know, funny thing about that... I especially want a system that I as a woman will enjoy playing on. I've had to put up with a lot of crap games since I got into computer games in the '90s, with a lot of biased views about what female gamers want and I'm now seeing something of an improvement thanks to Nintendo. I like guts and gore games, but I don't see why I have to play them all the time and I just get bored with puzzle games like Tetris after about ten minutes and Barbie games are worse uses of computer programming than even viruses are.

Grandparents should be given the opportunity to enjoy computer games as well. What else are they going to do in their long and boring retirement. Be bored as hell whilst their grandkids have all the damn fun? I think not.

There is no real money in catering for the hardcore gamer market solely anymore. Hardware and software developers know this, and this is why many are trying to make appealing consoles/systems and a broad range of games, else their companies will die. It's not like the 80s and 90s when independent development companies were springing up faster than pustules on a three year old with chickenpox, and they made a game or two every year or so and all was fine. Now they have to constantly make loads and look to the future at the same time. Or they have to make really innovative games to stay in the market.

Simply... The future is systems with a broad range of games, and the sooner the likes of Microsoft and Sony realise this just that bit more, then the sooner they begin to get a real share of that other huge half of the potential market. After all, women have disposable incomes too. Yet I don't feel that they'll get very far with the OAP market, Nicole Kidman is taking care of that.

I am very late with this, but I read every page :lol:
Keep the Wii mainly because of the good titles coming out at the end of this year and so on, clearly there is a lot of great games coming.

As for the Wii being a secondary console, not entirely true, some cases it was bought as one, but some have enjoyed it so much they either got rid of their other console, or didn't play it as much (becoming secondary). But yes in other cases it can be, because of the terms Wii60 etc. What I am saying though is it is not guaranteed to be a secondary console.

As for "Nintendo's Old Franchises", geez, so what.
People have already pointed out the 360 and Ps3 tentatively doing the same, with their Metal Gear Solid and Halo etc. And as I said in another thread,
"Fair enough, but yes those games are young, and so is the system itself.
They will have new projects, but sometime down the road, a few more systems away, who knows, they could not come up with as many new things and just keep on making the old games "new". At least with the Mario franchise he can play soccer ..but seriously back on point, that could happen it may not. All I am saying is that xbox itself is a youngin'. Ninty has been around the block a few times. "

Nintendo puts a new spin on games, but despite that it as pointed out as an old franchise. Metroid was on the nes, so what. Really the Metroid Prime series is new, as it was just brought as a first person shooter on the Gamecube.

Enough of this though, really keep the Wii, there are some great games coming out that are exclusive to the Wii (Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart Wii etc.) and the Wii has some great non exclusives as well (Guitar Hero 3, Smackdown vs. Raw 2008).

Why do you need convincing to keep it? If you want to sell it, sell it!!!

If there aren't enough games that interest you then maybe its not for you.

Squall7 said:
Hahahaha. You do realise that milliways is actually one of those "gamer girls"?

Actually between me and milliways, we know quite a few girls that play on the Wii or have been avid Nintendo fans for a while.

Another thing is that, whilst every console gets sports games, none of them except Wii games will appeal to anything but "footies fans" or "Tennis fans" etc...

Also, considering Nintendo has never released the flood gates like they have for the Wii, we do have more games than normal to look forward to. The amount of times people have commented on the fact that there's "so many games I want to get" should tell you something.

So what if some are from a franchise? Doesn't stop people drooling over things like Halo 3, Devil May Cry 4, Metal Gear Solid 4, Silent Hill 5 or Final Fantasy XIII.

Also, considering the amount of variation that goes into most Nintendo franchises like Zelda, Mario, Starfox (adventure game for flips sake!), etc... If anyone who likes H3, DMC4, MGS4, SH5 or FFXIII complains that Nintendo's franchises are a downfall is a hypocrite.

LOZ was a port, but it was released on the Wii before the GC. It was also realy good.
MP3 from the reviews is almost perfect, despite what stupid anti-Nintendo reviewers may say (Variety, I'm looking at you).
Wiisports was a title designed to help people get used to the Wiimote, and it's still played today, especially when people come over. That doesn't make it bad though.
Paper Mario was a hit, and provided a gameplay system that was both challenging and amusing.
Super Mario Kart is a franchise that's done extremely well, because it plays well. It's next iteration is going online as well (good for some, others won't use this feature).
SSBB is the next iteration of the Smash Bros franchise, both previous games have been awesome and playable even now, and the next one is set to top the previous two, with ease. It'll be a guaranteed play and should be on anyone's list who likes Nintendo.
Galaxy is a brand spanking new Mario title that redifines the platform genre. It seems to play excellently and everybody has praise for it.
Wiifit is an exercise game that will get you off your fat arse and actually help with your health. Considering there's plenty of couch potatoes out there already, I think it can only be a good thing.
Strikers is supposedly very playable. I personally haven#'t played the original nor this one, but reviews are positive and it was the first game for the UK to be online.
Mario Party 8 - Meh.
Warioware was extremely good fun. It was also quite addictive, and a good thing to crack open again and again (I know I have)
RE:Umbrella Chronicles seems like an awesome addition to the Resi Evil universe, and is set to uncover some of the secrets behind the games. Also has two players for once, which is quite refreshing.

Whilst most of them are franchises in some way, why is it a bad thing? Most of the titles have evloved over the years to create new ways of playing and brand new story lines. It's not like they're unoriginal either. They're certainly more original than "Gerneric Shooter" (Resistance for example. The point is, is that franchises can be original. "original games" can be generic. Putting an emphasis on non-franchise games offers no true criticism whatsoever (which is what you were trying to do).
i read a first few sentences, i know if i read the rest ill write up an essay to keep the long post discussion going, which i dont feel like right now but here are my 2 cents and i probably wont post in this thread again, this the point i just wanted to make, it is all.
wii dosent have any games that are made for the wii and are killer apps, theres no game yet that when you say: i got a wii. then your friend goes: Oh! do you have that one awesome lightsaber online fighting (just an example of great potiental) game?! you have to be a fool not to admit it, no one has made THE wii game yet, the game we all dreamed of playing once we saw the wiimote, its not an insult and its no ones fault except for developers.

Back