something intresting about the graphics

BAZ

Banned
Jan 10, 2007
Unknown
NEC has revealed that Nintendo Wii will use the same NEC eDRAM for its graphics processing, which powers the Xbox 360 as well.

With 10MB of fast RAM embedded in the graphics chip, the NEX eDRAM allows enough buffer space for anti-aliasing to be added to graphics ‘for free’.

The same technology is used in Xenos, the graphics chip for the Xbox 360, and Wii is following Xbox 360 footsteps by including it in their ‘Hollywood’ graphics chip. Note that both graphics chips are developed by ATI.

NEC representatives said that the manufacturer has chosen MoSys as the DRAM macro design partner for the Wii project because the company has implemented several times 1T-SRAM macros on NEC’s eDRAM process, and they needed an experienced partner for the job.

In order to deliver enhanced graphics capabilities for Nintendo’s gaming console, NEC will manufacture the LSI chips with eDRAM on the company’s 300-millimeter production lines.

However, the latest 1T-SRAM technology embedded in the Wii console use NEC Electronics’ 90-namometer CMOS-compatible embedded DRAM (eDRAM) process technology.

Whilst some have been speculating that the Wii will lack the visual quality of the Xbox 360 and the PS3, this latest announcement seems to suggest that Nintendo is serious about graphics.

What’s slightly odd is that the Wii is rumoured to lack high-definition outputs, which is really where anti-aliasing is needed - AA on standard definition isn’t really a good use of hardware. Could this mean the eDRAM is being used for something else?

Games journalists at E3 were generally underwhelmed with the Wii’s graphics, but this is because Nintendo had the games running on Revolution-ised Gamecubes with the Wiimote attachment.

lol girls are thick arent they just kidin lol it means the wii is capable of graphics the same of the xbox 360 which ppl are saying isnt true now. im a boy and just broke it down for u lol

Interesting article, though I'm satisfied with the Wii graphics (probably because I don't own a PS3 or Xbox 360).

lol i got the 360 so the graphics are a bit should i say crap but do look decent with the component cable have u got a component cable

it means the wii is capable of graphics the same of the xbox 360 which ppl are saying isnt true now
Just because it has some similar hardware doesn't mean it'll perform the same as a 360. My car has some of the same components as the model with a much bigger engine, but it doesn't have nearly the same power. The graphics simply aren't going to be the same.

mothershipconnection said:
it means the wii is capable of graphics the same of the xbox 360 which ppl are saying isnt true now
Just because it has some similar hardware doesn't mean it'll perform the same as a 360. My car has some of the same components as the model with a much bigger engine, but it doesn't have nearly the same power. The graphics simply aren't going to be the same.

oh man, the last thing we need are ricer wiis ahahahaha.RICERRRRRR!

how can u compare a car to a console are u just stupid. and i know bout cars as i have grown up around them

BAZ said:
how can u compare a car to a console are u just stupid. and i know bout cars as i have grown up around them

It is ironic to hear some one who is incapable of writing a correct sentence bashing someone for how stupid they are. If you lack the knowledge needed to understand such a simple analogy, maybe you should take a look in the mirror to reveal who the stupid one is.

Deathmetalmaster said:
It is ironic to hear some one who is incapable of writing a correct sentence bashing someone for how stupid they are. If you lack the knowledge needed to understand such a simple analogy, maybe you should take a look in the mirror to reveal who the stupid one is.

el oh el

Well little Billy, I have a master's degree, maybe try the condescension again in about 10 years.

Here's my analogy: my car (small SUV) with a 2.5L engine has many of the same components as the model with the 4.0L engine. However, my car is not capable of the same things; I cannot tow a boat for example. The fact that they have some similar components does not mean that they have identical capabilities. This is similar to the Wii and 360. I mean, hey, both of them are AC powered and hook up to a television, so they must be capable of the same thing!

Back