Vert

WiiChat Member
Dec 27, 2006
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Wii Online Code
4736-6922-4727-3012
http://wii.ign.com/articles/766/766214p1.html

Headline : Sonic and the Secret Rings Review
The blue hedgehog stars in his best 3D game yet, but the overall experience is still flawed.

*Please click link for FULL review*

sonic-and-the-secret-rings-20070220054356307-000.jpg

Closing Comments : Sonic and the Secret Rings is my favorite entry into the franchise since its 2D roots. That's high praise for some, I'm quite certain. Bearing that in mind, if you really liked the Sonic Adventure titles for Dreamcast or GameCube, I think you will find much more to be excited about in this Wii-exclusive undertaking. I can tell you that the experience is more fun and more beautiful than any other – at least, as far as I'm concerned. But that being true, there are still flaws – big ones – and I'm less willing to tolerate and forgive them now that 3D games have fully evolved and we've seen exactly what great developers can do in the third dimension. Sonic Team has taken a giant step in the right direction here, and of that there is little doubt, which is why I hope that more time and attention goes into the camera system and level designs for the inevitable sequel.

I want to take moment to specifically explain the score. For me, Sonic and the Secret Rings offers moments of greatness where I find myself caught up in the intensity of the experience and, oppositely, moments where I want to pull my hair out or throw the Wii remote down because of imprecise control or insulting design choices. I think that some gamers, particularly diehard Sonic fans, will be able to get past these drawbacks and enjoy the great times, which are also in supply. However, for me it's really pretty simple. Call me harsh, but I don't believe you should be forced to deal with the bad to enjoy the good and hence, I've scored the game with that in mind.

SCORE : 6.9 / 10

Edit : Can somebody please move this to Nintendo Wii Gaming? Thank you !

Nice review, pretty thorough, thought it would get more than a 6.9 mind but heyy, they've played it and I haven't lol

Kind of a bummer sad to see such a low rating. I would love to see a good Sonic again someday!

surfinrach90 said:
Nice review, pretty thorough, thought it would get more than a 6.9 mind but heyy, they've played it and I haven't lol
they have played it if your like ign or gamespot you can get the games before they come out DUH:tard:

Last edited:
I can tell you that that review score is bullshit. This game deserves at least an 8. I played it at my friend's house today and I ordered it off Amazon around Noon today. Hopefully one day shipping really means one day, it better be here tomorrow!

Thanks for the heads up Bryan, I would rather hear a fellow players opinion rather then the Magazine and game site reviews.

Bryan_ said:
I can tell you that that review score is bullshit. This game deserves at least an 8. I played it at my friend's house today and I ordered it off Amazon around Noon today. Hopefully one day shipping really means one day, it better be here tomorrow!

You should actually play through the whole game before you start judging it.

I thought about editing my post saying "But I wouldn't know because I only played one level."

Meh.

Even if the single-player is a flop, I'd still want it for the mini-games.

En4Neo said:
You should actually play through the whole game before you start judging it.
It's not necessarily the actual grade... it's the total bullshit review Matt gives.

OMG BEST SONIC GAME
Score: 6.9

Homesrfan said:
It's not necessarily the actual grade... it's the total bullshit review Matt gives.

OMG BEST SONIC GAME
Score: 6.9

Oh, just beat the game and then tell me what you honestly think.

Best Sonic game since the Sonic Adventure doesn't = best Sonic ever

It just means it beats an ok Sonic game by the name of Sonic Heroes.

En4Neo said:
Oh, just beat the game and then tell me what you honestly think.

Best Sonic game since the Sonic Adventure doesn't = best Sonic ever

It just means it beats an ok Sonic game by the name of Sonic Heroes.
Meh, I meant best 3-D Sonic game. But it makes no sense. He gave Heroes, Rivals, and Adventure better scores than this.

Then he turns around says bets 3d sonic game. Then he complains about frustrating controls and he complains vaguely... anyways, I didn't like the review.

But I might rent this game. I don't now, I would like to buy it but I don't have any money. :p

Homesrfan said:
Meh, I meant best 3-D Sonic game. But it makes no sense. He gave Heroes, Rivals, and Adventure better scores than this.

Then he turns around says bets 3d sonic game. Then he complains about frustrating controls and he complains vaguely... anyways, I didn't like the review.

But I might rent this game. I don't now, I would like to buy it but I don't have any money. :p

His review sounds just to me. It seems like a good game, but in order to enjoy the good you'll have to deal with the bad from his review.

Back