Sonic Popularity

bangbang

WiiChat Member
Dec 18, 2007
The other night, while browsing the Most Popular games for sale on the VC. I noticed something that seemed rather suprising to me. Sonic did not make the top 20 most popular games.

Maybe it's a plot by Nintendo to keep only Nintendo titles on the list. That'd be funny if it were true, but I'll hold off on the conspiracy theory.

What's even more suprising, is other games, like Super Mario 2 (American Version), which wasn't a really great game, make that list based on name value alone.

I've downloaded Sonic 1, Sonic 2, and Sonic 3 (soon Sonic Spinball as well) and had as much fun replaying them as Super Mario 1, Super Mario 3, and Super Mario World, if not more. I suppose though, that realisitically, so many Wii owners are huge Nintendo Fanboys- which just tips the scale in favor of 4 series: Zelda, Mario, Donkey Kong, and Kirby.

Or perhaps my analysis is misguided. Maybe everyone is holding out for the Sonic and Knuckles release- to see how the combining of the titles works. I know Sonic and Knuckles is on my shortlist of most desired VC releases, just behind a group of Square Enix games.

So what are you choices on the matter? How many Mario games have you downloaded, and how many Sonic games have you downloaded (and yes, it is obvious that there are a ton more Mario titles than Sonic titles available). And why would one choose Super Mario 2, over at least one of the Sonic 1, 2, 3 games?

I got Super Mario Bros [The first one]
Purely because I didn't own a NES or a SNES [Prinny stay back]
And I had a Megadrive so I'd already played Sonic :D

bangbang said:
The other night, while browsing the Most Popular games for sale on the VC. I noticed something that seemed rather suprising to me. Sonic did not make the top 20 most popular games.

Maybe it's a plot by Nintendo to keep only Nintendo titles on the list. That'd be funny if it were true, but I'll hold off on the conspiracy theory.

What's even more suprising, is other games, like Super Mario 2 (American Version), which wasn't a really great game, make that list based on name value alone.

I've downloaded Sonic 1, Sonic 2, and Sonic 3 (soon Sonic Spinball as well) and had as much fun replaying them as Super Mario 1, Super Mario 3, and Super Mario World, if not more. I suppose though, that realisitically, so many Wii owners are huge Nintendo Fanboys- which just tips the scale in favor of 4 series: Zelda, Mario, Donkey Kong, and Kirby.

Or perhaps my analysis is misguided. Maybe everyone is holding out for the Sonic and Knuckles release- to see how the combining of the titles works. I know Sonic and Knuckles is on my shortlist of most desired VC releases, just behind a group of Square Enix games.

So what are you choices on the matter? How many Mario games have you downloaded, and how many Sonic games have you downloaded (and yes, it is obvious that there are a ton more Mario titles than Sonic titles available). And why would one choose Super Mario 2, over at least one of the Sonic 1, 2, 3 games?

stop trolling, super mario 2 is a great game....

why would i choose that over sonic? cause people(amazingly) have different tastes, i've personally enjoyed all mario games to date, and have disliked many sonic games(though 1, 2 and 3 are all good)

that and i guess because people like to have sets of games, i mean if i bought super mario world, mario bros 1 and 3, it would be weird not buying 2 (even though it's different)

also super mario bros 2 has 4 playable characters, so people could enjoy playing as their favourite character out of mario, luigi, toad and peach

Or perhaps most Sonic players were clever enough to get the Sonic Mega Collection rather than wasting their Wii points on the individual games?

Napalmbrain said:
Or perhaps most Sonic players were clever enough to get the Sonic Mega Collection rather than wasting their Wii points on the individual games?

True
Its nice to have them all on one disc

Heh, I didn't realize a sonic collection game existed. (embarassed look)

And to mushroomedmario:
1) Highlighting the entire OP to reply to is rather pointless.
2) I'm entitled to an opinion
3) I can't find a single game reviewer that rated both Super Mario 2 and Sonic 3 which gave Super Mario 2 a score even close to Sonic 3.
4) Please to threadjack and name call. I had a decently thought out point- and was a gamer when Super Nintendo and Sega Genisis were competeting for the Market. Super Mario World and Sonic hold a very nastalgic place in my heart.

I wasn't trying to call Mario 2 a bad game- rather not one of the greatest games from that time.

bangbang said:
And to mushroomedmario:
1) Highlighting the entire OP to reply to is rather pointless.
2) I'm entitled to an opinion
3) I can't find a single game reviewer that rated both Super Mario 2 and Sonic 3 which gave Super Mario 2 a score even close to Sonic 3.
4) Please to threadjack and name call. I had a decently thought out point- and was a gamer when Super Nintendo and Sega Genisis were competeting for the Market. Super Mario World and Sonic hold a very nastalgic place in my heart.

I wasn't trying to call Mario 2 a bad game- rather not one of the greatest games from that time.

1) no it isn't, if a couple people replied before me(which one did), it would be hard to tell if i'm replying to you, adding on to a post in front of me, or just commenting on the subject in general.....since my reply to you and only you, quoting you was completly logical(like how i'm quoting you right now)
2) cool.......okay?
3) reviews for old games are hard to find, so there are probably not many, however super mario bros 2 was the third highest selling game on the NES, also ign gave super mario bros 2 an 8.5, sonic the hedgehog a 9, only a .5 difference.....the game was a sucess, (also if i'm correct, didn't sonic 3 do bad in sales on the genisis?)
4) alright, i didn't name call or threadjack, i gave you my answer to your "thought-out point"

okay and i think it is one of the greatest games from that time.....opinions are not facts

when nintendo released the gameboy advance...out of all the mario games to port and change the name to "super mario advance," they chose super mario world 2.....so it must at least be in the same league as the other mario games

I didnt think you were trolling, just wondering why sonic wasnt on top 20.....

Like they said above, I own the Mega Collection, got it the day I got my wii........however the only way to get mario action is to download them on wii (Im not trying to play a DS).

I downloaded SMB1, 2, World, and 2 (japan). I got 3 for my birthday when it was released
(I mean in the 80's, not on the VC) and I locked myself in my room playing it until I beat it that weekend.....ever since, I have rarely played this game except when stuck somewhere where that was the only game available.

Thats as much mario and sonic as you can stand and I spent about $40.

bangbang said:
Thats probably because they where realesed years appart

bangbang said:

Yeah, you can get Sonic in many a compilation. I have a DC compilation with Sonic on it already. I'm not so keen on picking up the VC version on the Wii. As a general rule, I prefer the 2D Mario games to the 2D Sonic games and I prefer the 3D Sonic games to the 3D Mario games (and yes that means I like Sonic Adventure more than Mario 64). When it comes to 2D Sonic games, they're ok but I'd rather play Mario. What I'd really like to see is the king of 2D run-fast platformers: Death Valley Rally.

Napalmbrain said:

that exactly what I did otherwise I would have bought ALL the sonics before I bought the mario's.

IMO sonic owns mario and always has, too bad for sega that ALONE ment nothing in the 16 bit wars the SNES was a better console

I just have sonic mega collection (actually I just borrow it from a friend whenever I feel like playing some sonic). Most people who would've bought those games already have them in SMC, so it's not surprising it's not in the top 20.

Speaking about the Sonic games, in '91 i went to my neighbors just to play the sega genesis and to play sonic 1 and then 2 then 3 and ecco the dophine.
Street fighter for genesis and street of rage series. I got so hooked on sonic sooner or later i asked my parents to spend the night just to play the sonic games. something about that little furry blue speedy hedgehog i loved, couldn't get enough of the hedgehog power. I perfer street fight for snes than the genesis. Only in '94 or '95 i could play sega cd with Dracula (kickass game) and legal inforcers nice or the best shooter in my opinion.
when i heard about the sonic collection, i had to buy it.

stugots said:
the sonic mega collection is missing the BEST sonic game of all Sonic CD

Thats on the other Sonic collection
Allong with the only good 3D sonic game (Sonic R)

Back