"Sony is still the one to beat"

Wii&Ps3

Banned
Jan 6, 2007
Epic Games VP Mark Rein has taken on Sony's critics, saying that he believes the strength of the PlayStation brand and the company's ongoing strategy will ensure PS3 is a success.
Speaking to GamesIndustry.biz in an interview at GDC last week, Rein said, "Sony has a very, very strong brand, so in my opinion, they're still the one to beat.
"The Wii is an impressive piece of hardware, but as you get the visually more impressive games coming out for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, as the marketing dollars get turned up to support the larger quantities of machines, with potential price drops and titles like Singstar which appeal to the larger market... Those machines will ignite, they'll take off, and they'll sell just fine."
Rein's comments came after Phil Harrison's GDC keynote speech, during which the Sony Worldwide Studios boss unveiled PlayStation Home and exclusive title LittleBigPlanet. "It looks like they've got some pretty cool stuff coming," Rein said.
"As the big titles come out, they're going to sell a bunch of machines. When PlayStation Home comes out, they'll sell a bunch of machines... Yeah, it's a high price, because it's a new, high-end piece of equipment, but history shows that price will come down. They'll sell lots of them, it'll be fine."
Rein questioned some of the criticisms which have been levelled at Sony in recent months, particularly with regard to the amount of PS3 stock currently available in US stores.
"So wait, if they don't have enough machines in stores, that's a bad thing? If they do have enough machines, that's a bad thing? Pick one!
"People just seem to want to take a smack at [Sony], and I can't figure it out. They're the leader, so I guess they have a target on their back."
He also had strong words for those who have accused Sony of following in others' footsteps. "I read on a developer forum, one of the guys who worked on PlayStation Home said they started designing it in 2004. So when people say things like, 'Oh, they announced this new piece of software! They just copied so-and-so!'. What, you think they just made it last week in their basement?"
According to Rein, there can be a tendency amongst industry professionals to take an insular perspective, and fail to recognise the attitudes of the typical consumer. "The gamers out there, they aspire to buy a new PlayStation," he concluded

http://gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=23503

I agree with everything. Sony has some great stuff coming to the system. Home is going to dominate the crappy mii's. Ps3 folding at home is coming next week, (which is for a good cause) and a bunch of great games this year. People keep doubting sony, but they will be crying after sony surpasses the wii and the 360 in sales. The wii will stay ahead for a couple of years, but after that its going to be outdated. Nintendo will have to come up with a new system just to keep up. I think nintendo made a bad move with the wii. Good concept but it lacks alot.

im a epic fanboy
so i agree completely
except for part
consoles being in stock compared to wii WITH small number of ps3s sold dose make it a bad thing

Wii&Ps3 said:
http://gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=23503

I agree with everything. Sony has some great stuff coming to the system. Home is going to dominate the crappy mii's. Ps3 folding at home is coming next week, (which is for a good cause) and a bunch of great games this year. People keep doubting sony, but they will be crying after sony surpasses the wii and the 360 in sales. The wii will stay ahead for a couple of years, but after that its going to be outdated. Nintendo will have to come up with a new system just to keep up. I think nintendo made a bad move with the wii. Good concept but it lacks alot.
well i think nintendo is already making a new console every company does after they produce one but it might be held back because the wii is in high demand, nintendo is made so that it is cheap because it is supposed to be good for the costumers and easy to buy ,sure they could update it with blu ray and stuff but that raise the cost quite high, the major turn off is the price for the ps3 ,heck my mum used to bother me because i was using my pocket money that i was saving for the wii but then she saw the ps3 and left me alone about it and to enjoy the graphics you need a hdtv and my parents cant afford one right now like other people so thats my point

Why would you need an hdtv? It comes with av cables for a reason. Theres a difference between graphics and resolution.

meh come on the ps3 cause i am rebeling woo-hoo_Only kidding and im pretty sure the mii`s are more funny and look better than "realistic people"

anyway i was thinking aout buying a ps3 but changed my mind.The only reason i was gonna buy one was to show off.Then again nothing to show off about...

Wii_BrEnDo2007 said:
meh come on the ps3 cause i am rebeling woo-hoo_Only kidding and im pretty sure the mii`s are more funny and look better than "realistic people"

anyway i was thinking aout buying a ps3 but changed my mind.The only reason i was gonna buy one was to show off.Then again nothing to show off about...
miis look like crap compared to these, funny only lasts for so long, while fun can last forever.........

ottoman said:
Theres something similar in here, but in more detail.

http://z6.invisionfree.com/consolewars/index.php

seriously man, stop with the advertising. Everywhere you go your posting that damn link, even sending private messages to people. You already sent me 2 of the same damn thing.

Really, stot the advertising. If people wanted to have a console war, theres much better forums they could go to.

Sovieto said:
miis look like crap compared to these, funny only lasts for so long, while fun can last forever.........

i really dont think home is going to be all that fun, pretty bland if you ask me

Home wont last. Once they start to charge for things for it, people will stop using it. Look at all those simular things on the PC which have failed. Think about it. That sort of entertainment only last a few days before it becomes very boring, unless you are some sort of loser and stay at home all day playing your PS3 living in your parents basement.

Yes, it's done. People know 'Home' isn't a copy of the Miis.

Duh Home is gonna kick the Mii's asses, while Home has been a work in progress for years now, Mii's were a "made in a basement a week before release" type of thing. They weren't trying to out-due anyone, they were just trying to make things fun for there release. I think it was a great idea, start of with these Miis that you can use your creativity to make, then use them for a free game that comes with the console...:eek:

However, Wii&PS3 (as if you don't get this enough) you're a ridiculous Sony fanboy. You have good grammar, you sound smart, but sometimes you can say the most biased things...
Wii&PS3 said:
a bunch of great games this year. People keep doubting sony, but they will be crying after sony surpasses the wii and the 360 in sales.
And I beat Sonic in a race yesterday!

Dude, if any of that ever happens, lemme know. K?

ssbb_lover said:
Yes, it's done. People know 'Home' isn't a copy of the Miis.

Duh Home is gonna kick the Mii's asses, while Home has been a work in progress for years now, Mii's were a "made in a basement a week before release" type of thing. They weren't trying to out-due anyone, they were just trying to make things fun for there release. I think it was a great idea, start of with these Miis that you can use your creativity to make, then use them for a free game that comes with the console...:eek:

However, Wii&PS3 (as if you don't get this enough) you're a ridiculous Sony fanboy. You have good grammar, you sound smart, but sometimes you can say the most biased things...

And I beat Sonic in a race yesterday!

Dude, if any of that ever happens, lemme know. K?
who hasnt beat sonic in the race, no one is selling as slow as he is!! OH!!!

Sovieto said:

Home is spose to be fun forever?

Funny how Sims gets boring...

Wii&Ps3 said:
The wii will stay ahead for a couple of years, but after that its going to be outdated. Nintendo will have to come up with a new system just to keep up. I think nintendo made a bad move with the wii. Good concept but it lacks alot.

Ill remember that in a few years. ;)

(PS: Mark Rein is obviously a fanboy/biased, not like the poster isnt either. But whatever, have fun with ye nerd wars - i quit long ago ;) )

Last edited:
Back