"Sony is still the one to beat"

PtonJalken said:
Home is spose to be fun forever?

Funny how Sims gets boring...

(PS: Mark Rein is obviously a fanboy/biased, not like the poster isnt either. But whatever, have fun with ye nerd wars - i quit long ago ;) )
sims get boring!? theres like millions of people who would beg to differ :yesnod:

PtonJalken said:
(PS: Mark Rein is obviously a fanboy/biased, not like the poster isnt either. But whatever, have fun with ye nerd wars - i quit long ago ;) )

Look its the pot calling the kettle black!

Sovieto said:
sims get boring!? theres like millions of people who would beg to differ :yesnod:

Games like Home are fun for awhile, i have never played any virtual reality style game and stuck to it very long. Its cool designing your stuff, doing whatever you can do there. but once you've done it all.. its pretty lame. Unless they do constant additions, it wont be more then another feature on the Ps3.

And anyone who still loves playing Sims games all the time, must lack an actual life to take part in.

Shiftfallout said:
Look its the pot calling the kettle black!

Ok?

Anyone who is banking on Sony winning this console war needs to stop smoking crack. Yes Sony has a very strong brand but they have seriously screwed up with this one.

We are all familiar with the HD-DVD vs. Blu-ray wars ... its not the first time Sony and Toshiba have gone at it. Before DVD came out, both Sony and Toshiba and their partners had put out competing formats. Eventually however, both sides came to the table and agreed upon a mutual format, DVD. Toshiba got the better end of the deal royalty wise however.
The format war over with, Sony made one of the best business moves of all time by putting a DVD player in the PS2; thus allowing DVD to the masses and contributing to DVD's success ... which just loves taking credit for.

This time however, Sony decided they were going to win ... no matter what. There will be no compromise ... and here is where the problems start.

Timing wasn't exactly on Sony side this time. Sony released the PS3 before the next gen disk war had been decided. Sony, thinking that like DVD was for the PS2, blu-ray will be for the PS3 ... success will be achieve again and Sony will once again have another 100 million + console.

There is a problem, and i hope you see it. The media format war is still up in limbo with no clear winner. What really needs to be done is a mutual agreed upon format ... that probably won't happen however. Sony has put themselves a do or die position, unlike their rival Toshiba (which has anyways made better TV's in my opinion lol). If the blu-ray fails, so does the PS3 and probably Sony along with it. It blu-ray wins however, Sony is rich and secure for the next ten years.

The fact being that their will be no compromise means that the PS3 is mostly likely doomed to failure and just as Mr. Bill Gates predicted ... there will be a come from behind winner ... The hard drive.

Without blu-ray, people will have no reason the put the PS3. The games are no good ... whatever you want on the PS3 you can get on the 360. It will probably be better too.

Seriously people ... PS3 FTL.

To me this blu-ray thing is interesting enough, but would it not seem likely that if this whole concept is going to take off it is going to take years? VHS is really only just now going all the way out of style, and cd's came out how long ago? And I for one cannot afford a blu-ray player or the PS3. Certainly it is another luxury but before it comes to the masses like cell phones and dvd players did or a major price drop comes early, I think the point is obvious. However, fresh ideas and new products including the ones that make it start off at a very high price. The question is: will be become convinced or not? And I would love to be able to afford these things!

Sony one to beat? Good job they are getting beat hands down then!?

First thing you are tought at business school when looking into "brands" is that there is no such thing as "brand-loyalty". Consumers will generally go for the cheaper item. None of my PS2 fanatic friends are going to buy a PS3.

Also the sims eventually does start to suck.
When you play it to the point where you know how the game engine works inside-out, it just loses its magic.

A RAND0M TAC0 said:
watch the video of it, theres no fun in that at all

I would dissagree. Your explaination should then be "theres no fun FOR ME in that because i think i saw the video"

you really didnt give an explaination as to why it would be no fun at all other than you might not like it.

All of you stop being such Sony fanboys! Sony has lost by a long shot against Wii. Home will bring in a few sales, but Wii will still be winning. When Sony gets people to buy a PS3 for Home, in a while Sony will start charging big money for it, and they could make even more money since some PS3 owners will be so into Home that they will pay anything for it.

Celestial said:
Home looks like Habbo Hotel... Habbo Hotel was the crappiest thing ever... But Home just looks amazing!

Home looks nothing like Habbo hotel. Habbo hotel was a Graphical chat program, theres a ton of them out there.

Home looks like an avatar based Graphical User Interface of an OS. If you were to push the start button on your PC, and that list of programs pops up, imagine then a g verion of that which is navigated by a 3D avatar. One room leads to downloading content, anothe room lets you play the free games included (chess, solitare), another room shows your documents (aka trophies).. ect Sony plans on continually adding to these rooms, each room has a fuction/program sony will install within Home itself.

This can in no way be compared to Habbo hotel. And you know it.

Maybe if they put more effort into their games, and not their PR office we'd see better stuff. They need to copy Microsoft. Shut up and deliver. Here's a semi accurate link on unit sales.

http://nexgenwars.com

Nfanboy said:
All of you stop being such Sony fanboys! Sony has lost by a long shot against Wii. Home will bring in a few sales, but Wii will still be winning. When Sony gets people to buy a PS3 for Home, in a while Sony will start charging big money for it, and they could make even more money since some PS3 owners will be so into Home that they will pay anything for it.

Home is merely 1 feature. Its goal is not to attract customers as much as it is to attract game developers. As a game developer, you want people to buy your games. Home encourages the buying of games through unlockable content that comes with game purchases, and your game scores. It offers accessable advertisements and demos of both games and their movies. Home is merely a feature to make Game developers have greater success in their titles as well as push their games beyond what they are limited to at the moment. Single player games can still have bragging rights in a multiplayer world.

PS3 is not losing at all. In fact there really is no winners and losers in this market.

Imagine 3 marathon runners in a line. The signal is sent and all three start running. 1. the nintedo wii starts off very fast, out distancing the other two. 2. The xbox starts off a bit slow but picks up a lot of speed and falls in close to the wii. 3. The last one, Sony's PS3 starts off very slow, jogging at a leisurely pace and not caring how far ahead the other two are.

Now, the 1. Wii begins to slow down, it ran too fast right from the get go and is losing momentum. Its was fast due to its low price and launch games, but now the games are not as plentyfull due to the inability to share cross platform titles. Its graphics are incredibly outdated, and developers are looking for more long term investments with their titles. 1. is tired and slows down, it gets passed by 2. The Xbox360. The Xbox was a rough start due to both games and accessability, but it picked up fast due to its ability to throw money left and right to secure game titles as well as have an easy game kit to develope games for. They picked up a lot of speed. Then because game sales were going higher, they were able to lower the price of their system, their speed increases more. The wii is lagging behind now, tired.

3. Sony, is still jogging but its stamina is unaffected. They still retain the rights for some popular exclusives such as the FF series and Metal Gear, they have no worries, its just a matter of time. Their internal department is nearing completion of a lot of forms of software. Their operating system (firmware) is the most advanced and adapaptable of all the consoles. Their PsP has become one of the most amazing portable decives in the world with an OS thats copletely changeable. It can play most games out there short of anything passed the n64. Blue ray is still young and slowly gaining popularity. IT will be the next ROM commonly used. CD->dvd->blueray. Finally Sony begins to pick up speed, they are not rushing it but the wind at their backs is pushing them foward. Then their exclusives hit the market, they drop the price of their multimedia device, and their firmware offers plenty of sources of revinue from music downloads (singstar) to movies and indemand goods, to the online purchases and blueray sales, more and more developers are releasing their products for the system. Sony is running full on and catches up with 2. Xbox. The xbox is relying purely on its exclusives now and a simple feature called xbox live. This limited ability is strong but it might not be strong enough for the long haul. 3. Sony with its many functions and options begins to out pace the others. They caught in a current thats taking them even faster.

They are able to run OS like linux and programmers are developing their own HOMEBREW for the system, like the psp, theres a huge modding community. Sony continues to move faster due to its moddability, its OS full of newly added features, games that play both in the game itself and in programs like HOME, their movie studio is releasing pleny of bluray movies, their music studio will do the same with online music and mp3 sales. Sony has a lot of momentum now and everyone sees its ready to run for a long long time. Like the energizer bunny.

This is all an analogy of course, but based off facts and predictions based on facts. What you think you know, and what you really know might be far far apart. The fisrt step is to look at the bigger picture. Sony has a movie studio behind it (their movie studio owns a lot of smaller studios also), a music studio for popular artists and a growing format called Blueray. All this stuff is young, but its growing up fast. When it hits, it will hit hard.
For those unfamiliar with the PSP, i suggest really doing some research on it. It uses a mini firmware that the PS3 uses, currently that piece of hardware and OS have allowed a small hand held device to play movies perfectly, music, webpage, radio, remote controlling, homebrewed games (meaning player made software). It has an ebook reader, a paint program, a comic viewer, the list goes on. It feels limitless. Even better are its games, games that include all nintendo games up to the N64, all retro systems and PS1 games. Its completley amazing if you really know and utilize its potential.

The PSP is like a prototype for the PS3, rather its the big daddy version of it. Sony doesnt plan on changing anything, rather making even more adaptable.

Ok im done here, time for lunch.

ssbb_lover said:
Yes, it's done. People know 'Home' isn't a copy of the Miis.

Duh Home is gonna kick the Mii's asses, while Home has been a work in progress for years now, Mii's were a "made in a basement a week before release" type of thing. They weren't trying to out-due anyone, they were just trying to make things fun for there release. I think it was a great idea, start of with these Miis that you can use your creativity to make, then use them for a free game that comes with the console...:eek:

However, Wii&PS3 (as if you don't get this enough) you're a ridiculous Sony fanboy. You have good grammar, you sound smart, but sometimes you can say the most biased things...

And I beat Sonic in a race yesterday!

Dude, if any of that ever happens, lemme know. K?
thank you ive been saying this ever since he turned:thumbsup:

I don't think so, Sony lost ALL 3 party support, except squiar who will be making KH for other systems too.

X360= Has all the little kids playing ggears of war and halo 3
Wii= truth be told, with tons of former sony franchise, its own franchise, and new group of fans wii won!
PS3= feh. at least you got blu-ray which no one likes and I heard something is better quality anyway.

Back