Sony sells the Cell to Toshiba

sagema

3D Artist
Dec 5, 2006
NY
Wii Online Code
4496-9128-1304-3457
I'm stumped. This is like McDonalds selling their cow farm to Burger King. But it's ok! Huh?

In the short term this means money. But in the long term Toshiba owns them. The PS4 may be called the Toshiba4. Comments?

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6178926.html

this doesn't mean toshiba is taking over the playstation, toshiba just bought rights to use their cell. this is a good thing for both toshiba and sony. it was kinda expected because the chip was the most expensive part and sony was losing money but now that they accepted they lost the race, they get their money back from this..pretty smart

They may have sold it because it may be cheaper for Toshiba to manufacture the chips and then contract them to Sony. IMO this is bad news for investors who banked on the cell as Sony's next big thing. If that's the case, then PS3 profitability was in really bad shape. I'm sure the 360 fanboys would call this the demise of the PS3. Hmmm, what if they sell off BluRay?

Sony's been making money in their other divisions, so this move keeps them in the mark. In the short term this does equal money.

However... In the long term, a mere 2 years from now Sony is going to be hurting a lot. They picked up $800 million today to lose a possible $5 billion in R&D tomorrow to none other than their hardest competitor against the Blue Ray itself, Toshiba's HD DVD! Toshiba will gain access to Sony's technology. That's like Nintendo offering Microsoft exclusive rights to work on Wii processors. Just imagine the future damage here.

No they didn't...? Did they? I thought it was just speculation stuffs...

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/20070917/sony-toshiba-sale.htm

Sony Corp said it has made no announcement regarding a possible sale of certain system LSI manufacturing facilities to Toshiba Corp.

In a regulatory filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, Sony said that "nothing concrete has been determined" regarding the facilities.

The company's announcement comes after stories appeared in the media over the weekend that Sony may sell its game chip facility to Toshiba. Sony said the media reports are "speculation".

Last edited:
Eh this wont effect the gaming part of sony at all. Toshiba arent in the console industry so they'd probably use the technology to further their computer departments. And incase you didnt know, Toshiba and IBMC helped make the Cell. Its just a way for sony to make them cheaper.

And it hasnt been confirmed by Sony or Toshiba.

Toshiba helped in the design of the architecture. I'm sorry, you've got the wrong end of the stick friend

Back