sound system recommendations

Ifry

WiiChat Member
Apr 18, 2009
Hi, I just bought a BenQ MP512 short throw projector to use with my Wii. I'd now like to add a decent sound system. I don't have an amp or any other piece of music equipment. My budget is approximately $300. Can you recommend something? I assume I will need to buy an amp, not just self-powered speakers? And when I'm shopping for a system online, how do I know if the system has pro logic 2? thank you!

Well, you have several options.

1. By a tuner(amp)/speakers/cables seperately (probably not the best option on a $300 budget, especially if you want surround and a subwoofer)
2. Buy a "Home Theater System" which usually comes with a DVD Player/amplifier and your speakers/sub
3. Buy a boom-box type unit with stereo input (some of these have surprising sound quality)

It really depends on what you want to do with it. How many devices do you want to input (do you have a bluray/360/PS3 etc.)? How big is the room?

I would reccomend looking at combo-style home theater systems. There are some in your price range, though they can get pretty pricey.

However, if you are looking for a quality system to last a long time and expand your home theater around it, by a higher-quality combo-system or buy the pieces individually. One last tip is to try out some different options at a store first, if you really want to purchase online (just remember it won't sound exactly the same at home).

Pro Logic 2 has been around for quite awhile now, so it's probably harder to find an amp that DOESN'T have Pro Logic 2 than one that does.

It really depends on what you want to do with it. How many devices do you want to input (do you have a bluray/360/PS3 etc.)?

How big is the room?

I only plan to use the sound system for the Wii, and occasional movies. I actually have an amp and 2 speakers dedicated to music listening, but I'd rather not use those with the wii.

So it sounds like I should probably be looking for one of those "home theatre in a box" setups

I will be using the Wii in many different rooms/locations, so portability would be ideal, although I'm guessing there aren't too many highly portable systems that also offer decent sound.

Back