Spike TV's Video Game Awards

True, but you can't deny this was Xbox year. They dominated so hard because it was Xbox 2nd year while it was Wii and PS3 first year

Exactly. STVGA should of took that into account for the nominations. Xbox has a serious unfair advantage=X

The Orange Box, though is GOOD. Half-Life is the best shooter of all time. Half-Life 1, Half-Life 2, The Orange Box and Bioshock are all rated 96 at metacritic and make up 4 of 5 games of metacritic's top 5 of PC games of all time. Orange Box and Bioshock is top 2 on Xbox 360 at metacritic. Seriously if you haven't played Half-Life you should. You don't need to play it on Xbox, get it on PC if you can run it. Its the best gameplay in FPS ive ever played. And even better storyline ive ever played in a FPS, probably the best storyline in anygame ive ever played. Bioshock I don't really know first hand. Ive only heard that the story is really good. But its actually FPS/RPG. Halo 3 is trash though, thats all hype, its nowhere near the first Halo which had a pretty good story, but still not close to Half-Life.

Yeah Im not doubting those are really amazing games. I mean I have Xbox 360 too and Ive played all of those but seriously they need to add some variety to the nominations instead of just choosing FPSs and titles that sold the most this year.

But yea, I really recommend picking up Half-Life and Half-Life 2 for PC if you don't have Xbox, its literally the best FPS ive ever played in my life.

Yeah I got Half-Life but only really played competitive CS lol. No doubt its a great game though. As for Half-Life 2, hoping Ill get that for Christmas hehe.

T3kNi9e said:
Actually last year's Spike TV VGA's was in early November, possibly November 7th. So Zelda wasn't even released yet. Which is why its on this years show.

Btw, whats so funny about the GOTY list? What should it have been?
I'll tell ya whats funny about that list...the fact that every last one of those games is a damn shooter! Thats whats funny. They act like you gotta have a gun to be GOTY!

Yea I used to play CS, that was great too.

I guess they COULD throw in some variation with either other consoles or even other types of genre games. But then people wouldn't approve and say "that game doesn't deserve to me nominated" Like people already knew Mass Effect would be nominated GOTY before it was even released. Imagine they decided to take out Halo 3 and Bioshock and put in something else, people would be pissed. I remember Metroid Prime winning some GOTY's maybe in 2005. But I guess they didn't do as good as the other FPS games this year. But I can't really speak for MP3 because I haven't gotten to play that.

Dzapper said:
I'll tell ya whats funny about that list...the fact that every last one of those games is a damn shooter! Thats whats funny. They act like you gotta have a gun to be GOTY!

Okay thats your opinion, what do you think should have been on it? Because its not their fault that FPS games were the ones that did the best this year. Call of Duty 4 was PS3's best game. They could have put in Super Mario Galaxy, that was Wii's best. But I dont think SMG could win because more people like the other games better. I mean, FPS is the most popular type of game in USA.

But then people wouldn't approve and say "that game doesn't deserve to me nominated"

Oh well cant make everyone happy but atleast then youll have nominations that dont look biased toward a console and the FPS genre.

Imagine they decided to take out Halo 3 and Bioshock and put in something else, people would be pissed

hehe it would probably be better the other way around. Take out Mass Effect and Orange Box and replace with Wii and PS3 titles

I dont think any game surpasses Mass Effect and The Orange Box on Wii or PS3, except Call of Duty 4 which is both Xbox and PS3. Mass Effect did get a few lower reviews but it was all based on technical issues, nothing about the game itself.

Top 4 game of the Year (In no order)

Bioshock
Call of Duty 4
Super Mario Galaxy
The Orange Box

*Haven't played Mass Effect. I'll get it for Christmas.

T3kNi9e said:
Never watched Spike TV's VGA. I didnt care at all about game awards until recently it started to become interesting to know who would win what. I dont doubt that they probably made some stupid mistakes, but looking at the nominations they probably got better.

IMO, SMG isnt in the class of Game of the Year. Ive always said it would be out of Bioshock, Mass Effect, Halo 3 and Orange Box. But im hoping Halo doesn't win it. Ive played all 4 and they're all better than SMG. I still like Mario 64 and Super Mario World alot better. SMG was too easy and plain, but the Galaxies and Planets with all the gravity and stuff was genious. I REALLY REALLY HATED how easy all the bosses were, I didnt even die once vs any of the boses except on daredevil. Even bowser at end game, I won first try.

Dont really care who wins GOTY as long as its not Halo. But if they go more by sales then its gonna win :/

As for Madden winning over RE4, thats probably BS, not that it didnt happen, but I dont see how RE4 could lose to madden. Although... my brother didnt like RE4, well he liked it, but he never finished it because he said it got boring because of repetitiveness. But I think thats him, im gonna get it on Wii and im sure ill love it, because I love RE.

I hope i dont get flamed for saying SMG wasn't GOTY worthy because its MY opinion, I thought for sure it would be until I finished the game.

Edit: Oh, but you know what though, I thought Zelda was GOTY worthy, they should have had it instead of Halo 3.
LOL Zelda was released in 2006! lmao, it was nominated for G4's GOTY for 2006

EDIT: if their awards were on november seventh thats their fault, they still shouldnt include a 2006 release since it's the 2007 awards. makes sense right?

Last edited:
i was about to edit my post when i saw you already made the mistake i did.. lol

and as for those saying "omg wii needs to have a game on there" wii doesnt have any goty worthy titles in my opinion, i havent played mario galaxy though, but lots of people stated it wasnt worthy. idn.. just my opinion. xbox did dominate, ps3 had uncharted.. that could be there but it wouldnt win.

oh, and no way should halo3 win GOTY. if it wins GOTY on any award show then that's rediculous! it could win most overly-hyped GOTY! lol, the multiplayer is fun and all..but it's nothing new.

Last edited:
nic7 said:
Top 4 game of the Year (In no order)

Bioshock
Call of Duty 4
Super Mario Galaxy
The Orange Box

*Haven't played Mass Effect. I'll get it for Christmas.
Here's my opinion for GOTY list:

Metroid Prime 3
Super Mario Galaxy
Mass Effect(This would be the Winner)
Bioshock

*I don't like that the Orange Box is even nominated! It is a compilation of games that have already been released!

Back