SSB not that fun?

Budo said:
No, you're definitely not the only one.

*shakes fist at SSBB in anger*

So this is how all matches go pretty much?

1. Spawn
2. Start pressing the "one" button
3. Win if you press it faster than your opponent

It may not be completely accurate (you'll have to go left and right and jump a few times), but that sounds pretty close with respect to pressing one button, yes?

no, actually it's not accurate at all, that's more like street fighter or soul calibur,

the gameplay has tons of buttons to use, the point that the paragraph is making is that you don't have to memorize combos like a, b, z, x, y, a, y, b, down, x

those buttons are still implemented in the game,

it's more like

1. spawn
2. can't put in one sentence because there are too many possibilities
3. whoever can land a good smash hit(which could be challenging since there is dodging and sheilding) once their opponent is at a high percentage might win
(if their opponent doesn't make it back)

mushroomedmario said:
I really can't see how anyone can not like this game, unless they suck at it and no longer want to play it
It's this mentality which is the problem I am talking about. Maybe they just don't like fighting games?

Fighting games don't have universal appeal, even if you think they're the greatest thing ever invented.

mushroomedmario said:
no, actually it's not accurate at all, that's more like street fighter or soul calibur,

the gameplay has tons of buttons to use, the point that the paragraph is making is that you don't have to memorize combos like a, b, z, x, y, a, y, b, down, x

those buttons are still implemented in the game,

it's more like

1. spawn
2. can't put in one sentence because there are too many possibilities
3. whoever can land a good smash hit(which could be challenging since there is dodging and sheilding) once their opponent is at a high percentage might win
(if their opponent doesn't make it back)

But Street Fighter uses more than one button. It even says, "controls are greatly simplified in comparison to other fighting games." I'm assuming they're using Street Fighter as one of the comparisons.

Is the Wiki article wrong then? You should probably go edit it if you have to press more than one button, because that's exactly what it says, per your quote.

Ok, well this is my very first SSB game and I have to say that in the begining I would have totally agreed with you, whats the point you hit, you smash you win you go on. But as I have played it steady since release there really is more to it than that. Yeah thats still the basic principal of the game and it can get boring if you let it, however if you take the time to really try out the different characters and modes you're gonna find there is so much more to it. Hell even switching from character to character and fighting thru classic on intense is by far one of the most challenging things I have run across in a game.

But anyway I hear where you are coming from and some people will love this game and some won't that's why we have a variety of games in the first place, so more power to you for at least taking the time to try it before making a decision about it, that's more than most people around here do.

Budo said:
But Street Fighter uses more than one button. It even says, "controls are greatly simplified in comparison to other fighting games." I'm assuming they're using Street Fighter as one of the comparisons.

Is the Wiki article wrong then? You should probably go edit it if you have to press more than one button, because that's exactly what it says, per your quote.
when you quote people, read what they have to say
myself said:
the point that the paragraph is making is that you don't have to memorize combos like a, b, z, x, y, a, y, b, down, x
that's what it means by simplified

sremick said:
It's this mentality which is the problem I am talking about. Maybe they just don't like fighting games?

Fighting games don't have universal appeal, even if you think they're the greatest thing ever invented.

i generally don't like fighting games either, smash is the only one i like,

and now that i read that, it seems extremely close-minded of myself, for that i apologize
i didn't mean the enthusiasm that could probably be interpreted from that quote, it was more like

"everyone likes pizza, who dosn't like a good pizza"

but yeah you kind of start not making sense once you have 4 hours of sleep in the past 3 days

Well it's not just like any other beat-um-up game its a totally unique version where real time strategy is as important as fighting.
If you think button mashing skills will help you you will be thinking it as you come in 4th place everytime. The most damage inflicted does not mean you win in this fighting game.

The truth is you can't come up with any other game quite like SSB. So don't get crazy and just blow it off as something you could get better somewhere else.
Does it appeal to everyone? Of course not, there isn't a thing in the world that appeals to everyone , except maybe water lol.
But for a fighting game it has to have the most diverse demographic "a.k.a. universal appeal" compared to any other fighting game on the market. Fighting games in general are huge niche style games with die hard fans, This is one of the few that gets all kinds of different people playing it because of its setup.

Last edited:
Thats exactly why SSB is so popular, because it doesn't fit in the category of a "niche" game that so many other fighting games do. If you read it, it's pretty clear that is what I said.

It has tons of familiar characters, someone for everyone.
It has plenty of different difficulty levels
It has loads of different stages
It has endless unlockable items, atleast for the first 200 hours or so of play.

It doesn't have a demographic of only 12-18 year olds.
It doesn't have endless blood and gore
It doesn't have a list of crazy combo moves that would take you months to memorize.

I could keep on going and list everything about the game that makes it appeal to a wider auidence, but I don't need to.
Some people may not like the game, maybe the idea of it just isn't fun for you. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I myself know a few people that don't get into it but its not many.
Based on the reviews and wide acceptants of it the people that don't like it are in the minority.

I think the same could be said for Mario Kart aswell. The majority like it and it seems to appeal to the hardcore and casual alike, but that doesn't mean everyone will like it.

Last edited:
Reviews aren't representative of the general game-playing consumer population. By definition, reviewers on those sites are pretty hard-core into the gaming scene, and enjoy many genres.

Then there's the real world. If I picked out 100 random people, here are the games that would be most-enjoyed in-general by most of the group:

Wii Sports
Guitar Hero
Mario Party

None would be 100%. Some people who liked some would not like others. But in-general, those have a better chance of appeal. SSBB would be fairly low... while it's fans might be huge "OMFG" fans, it's not got the same universal appeal. Many people are buying SSBB based upon the loud praise by the few and then wondering why they don't like it and feel let-down.

Unfortunately, no matter how loud, vocal, and enthusiastic some reviewers or Wiichat forum members might be, it does not make SSBB as universally fun and appealing as they make it out to be or wish it was. Sorry.

For those of you calling SSBB a (basically) one button masher or smash only, it's the beauty of SSBB. You have only touched the tip of the iceberg. There is so much advanced techniques you can use (ex. mindgames, b-sticking or wavebouncing, and a ton of other new techniques people are discovering). The beauty is that you don't have to use those techniques and can button mash all you want and do well. This offers a bigger demographic and more people will be able to play and get some kills. If you like that and are having fun, it's perfectly fine. If you want some skill and techniques involved, that's great too because SSBB can fill you in on that.

If you don't get what i'm saying, it's just like basketball. In basketball, all you do is bounce a ball around and get it into this hoop. That's not hard? Right?!? hell yea it is, especially if you play against pros. It takes precision and skill to get a three pointer, etc. Defense, team strategies, positioning, etc. A ton of things you have to think of.

Or you could just play it simple and ignore all those and just run around shooting at the hoop. You might get some in, and you will miss a lot. If you were in that position, don't just stop and call it a lame sport because all you do is shoot a ball into a hoop and thought "it's not that hard, maybe even too simple". You are doing the same thing by calling Brawl a single button masher.

Again we are comparing this to other fighting games and the popularity it has had with the mass audience.

Lets see the total sales numbers of other popular fighting "beat-um-up" style games lately, That is what normally will show you what consumers like "good or bad in anyones opinion".

Xbox: Dead or Alive 3:______________1.63 million
360: Dead or Alive 4:_______________1.01 million
PS2:Soul Calibur 2:________________1.77 million
GC:Soul Calibur 2:_________________1.51 million
PS2:Tekken 4:____________________3.31 million
PS2:Tekken 5:____________________1.64 million
PS2:Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance:___2.17 million

And now the SSB sales. Mind you Nintendo also had the fewest consoles on the market when these came out. "besides the Wii"

N64:SSB:_______________________5.55 million"1/5th of total console owners"
GC:SSBM_______________________7.08 million "1/3rd of total console owners"
Wii:SSBB "1.58 million unconfirmed"_3.08 million "to date"

It's plain to see its a far more popular and accepted game. Specially when taking into consideration the console to game ratio for Nintendo at the time. Based on the numbers even compared to games like Mario Party,GH3 "unless you count all platforms" it kills them.
Wii-Sports may be more casual but its included with every console outside Japan, a better argument would have been Wii-play sales, even then you get into Bundle theory that it doesn't count because of wii-mote. Still Nintendo has the most popular fighting racing games on the market hands down and it shows how they appeal much more then the "hardcore" sisters.

When it comes to Nintendos own take on "niche games" like racing, fighting, sports they are the clear dominate force. They make everyone feel like they can race, fight, play with the next guy without years of extream training to support them. Does that setup work for 100% of everyone? Of course not there is no such thing as 100% accepted in gaming, but its a much larger and a wider range of audience than any others in the same genre.

Last edited:
To be honest, any SSB game is not that good without people. You need people to play multiplayer with, otherwise the game is pretty much useless.

sremick said:
Reviews aren't representative of the general game-playing consumer population. By definition, reviewers on those sites are pretty hard-core into the gaming scene, and enjoy many genres.

Then there's the real world. If I picked out 100 random people, here are the games that would be most-enjoyed in-general by most of the group:

Wii Sports
Guitar Hero
Mario Party

None would be 100%. Some people who liked some would not like others. But in-general, those have a better chance of appeal. SSBB would be fairly low... while it's fans might be huge "OMFG" fans, it's not got the same universal appeal. Many people are buying SSBB based upon the loud praise by the few and then wondering why they don't like it and feel let-down.

Unfortunately, no matter how loud, vocal, and enthusiastic some reviewers or Wiichat forum members might be, it does not make SSBB as universally fun and appealing as they make it out to be or wish it was. Sorry.

Of course people are going to wonder why the don't like it if they only rent the fricking game, have never played its predecessors, and give the game just a few hours of play. The game is so highly rated because of its DEPTH, not because of any cheap, immediate, surface features that look and feel good straight away. It can look simple and boring because Nintendo means it to be easy to pick up, but by no means is the game overrated or a let-down. Overhyped, maybe, but what big release isn't overhyped nowadays?

That said, sure, there are people that just plain dislike SSB's style of play, and others that just don't like fighting games in general, but I can tell you right here and now: Super Smash Brothers is the most widely acclaimed fighting genre game in the history of video games. That's not to say it's 'universally' appealing - nothing is universally appealing in the strict sense of the word - but honestly, are you kidding yourself when you're saying it's only popular because of a small minority singing its praises? Sales figures and popularity such that the Smash franchise has enjoyed for the past ~10 years can not be simplified nor justified by arguing it all down to a 'vocal minority'.

Back