SSBB Design Contest 1: Mario Stages

naisatoh

MS3
May 26, 2007
Cleveland, Ohio
Wii Online Code
6760-4137-2833-7556
Here are the rules for the first SSBB Design Contest:

Design a Mario themed stage that has never been used in a previous version of Smash Bros. These stages can be designed for any Mario-related character (Mario, Luigi, Bowser, Peach, Yoshi, etc.) and can stem from any Mario-related game (Paper Mario, Luigi's Mansion, Mario RPG, Mario Kart, you get the idea).

Write a short paragraph, explaining the origins of your design as well as how the stage works. Many stages from the previous games are interactive, from Shyguys dropping food to Pokemon popping out and causing damage. Describe what your stage can do, as well as describe any changes that occur in the background (day/night, seasons, etc.)

Use this thread to submit ONE design. If you decide to make changes to your design or would like to replace your submission with a different one, please edit your post, rather than posting a second reply. That way, the thread will stay a bit more organized. Please limit discussions on this thread in order to minimize the number of pages we need to sort through to view each design.

Deadline: June 29

Have fun!

Last edited:
I'd like to throw a background out there. I cannot free hand what so ever and I have no program like Photoshop on my computer...But, wouldn't it be cool to battle in the first forest temple in Twilight Princess. Have the big three headed boss in the background. Every once in a while, that big ass plant would bring his head towards the players and try to take a bite. Obviously, in the game you would have to move your character or else you would lose a life and get eaten. The monster would then spit you out, and you would fly off the screen.

Wow, this is going to be very interesting. I hope we get a lot of people to join. I'm gonna start working on mine now.

Wouldn't it be impossible to do it in any other way than drawing on paper? Even if your art skills are horrific *cough*...wouldn't it be easiest to draw it?

ssbb_lover said:
Wouldn't it be impossible to do it in any other way than drawing on paper? Even if your art skills are horrific *cough*...wouldn't it be easiest to draw it?

Completely agree. Personally, I prefer pencil and paper, and not being able to use Photoshop should never be an excuse. I hope this idea picks up, it doesn't look like it's getting much notice.

It would also help to get some moderator attention, especially since it seems like they haven't come up with a contest idea since November.

naisatoh said:
Completely agree. Personally, I prefer pencil and paper, and not being able to use Photoshop should never be an excuse. I hope this idea picks up, it doesn't look like it's getting much notice.

It would also help to get some moderator attention, especially since it seems like they haven't come up with a contest idea since November.
If I was mod, I might sticky these every week they come out and un-sticky the last...alas, i'm not. :/ Seems like a lot of fun. Maybe i'll start now...

I know everything about Photoshop (not all the techniques, but all the separate options), but I would much rather prefer pencil & paper as yourself.

Oh. Btw. The thread says "Mario Stages". Are you asking for one or more? I guess we can enter as many as we want...

ssbb_lover said:
Oh. Btw. The thread says "Mario Stages". Are you asking for one or more? I guess we can enter as many as we want...

You can only have one entry. If you wish to update or change your current entry, you can edit your original entry post. "Mario Stages" is more of a general idea.

(Yes, this does suck, and I will be redesigning it later.)

THE HAUNTED FOREST

mariostagetg6.png

Luigi must get back to his haunted mansion, but in order to get there, he must follow this road. This road goes through the haunted forest, complete with withering Petey Pirahana Plant and Halloween themed Goomba enemies. Zombies also appear from time to time but watch out: they will suck out your coins, leaving you... sucked and.... coinless. They can also deplete your score while sucking. In the background, the trees sway left and right and the clouds scroll the sky.

KCBlack said:

THE HAUNTED FOREST

mariostagetg6.png

Luigi must get back to his haunted mansion, but in order to get there, he must follow this road. This road goes through the haunted forest, complete with withering Petey Pirahana Plant and Halloween themed Goomba enemies. Zombies also appear from time to time but watch out: they will suck out your coins, leaving you... sucked and.... coinless. They can also deplete your score while sucking. In the background, the trees sway left and right and the clouds scroll the sky.
Hahaha, just seeing this, makes me want to enter. I'm lovin' it KC
And all across the world, the fly ladies and girls tell me they lovin' it.

KCBlack said:

THE HAUNTED FOREST

mariostagetg6.png

GYAAA, he's got a head start on us. How did you do this in PHOTOSHOP? Did you draw it then make it look like this?

Wiired said:
Looks like a full on pen tool job, could be mistaken. If it was, that didn't take little time :)
Damn....that's nice. I have no idea how to use teh pen tool at all. >.<

Back