SSBB Design Contest 1: Mario Stages

Might just as well do a quick something. Nothing artsy though! So count me in.

This was added to the original thread.. Not sure if everyone got a chance to read it. Concerns the big prize. Also, based on the popularity of these competitions, you can count on a prize for the next competition. Most likely in the form of Wii Points. It'll be easier to just email the codes.

*** Final Edit (hopefully): Plan for the final contest to end 1 month before the game's release date. The winner will be announced and I will preorder the game from the member's online merchant of choice, and it will be shipped when the game it released. Member will receive the receipt via email. Also, as the contests get underway, prizes will be offered for individual contests.

Woop! Ended up doing my pics in PS instead of pencil/paper...i'll edit this post when i'm done introducing the stage. :]

*EDIT*

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brawl_planet_normal.png

Inspired by Mario Galaxy, this is the 1st stage in super smash brothers where you're only option is not just flat terrain, but one is actually allowed to walk in a 360-like terrain all the way around the outskirts of the planet. As shown, half of the planet is engulfed in darkness at all times, and where darkness is, a hodge podge of glow in the dark spots appear. The darkness constantly rotates around the planet as well. Also, if you notice, there are 4 "craters" around the planet; you can jump in them, then come out in anyone one of the others randomly WITH OR WITHOUT AN ITEM. You may come out with a starman or you may come out with a bomb causing a huge amount of damage to your health. It may be a huge chance to escape, or an easy kill for your opponent. What's that in the background?...

THE ALIEN ARE ATTACKING
Brawl_planet_normal.gif

Ahhh! The aliens are attacking! That's right, the aliens will occasionally attack you while you're playing! Fortunately, they are only attracted to the the array of glowing spots. Now remember that the green spots appear where darkness is, and the darkness constantly moves, so always be aware of your surroundings! If these aliens kamikaze where you're standing, you're most certainly guaranteed a KO into zero-gravity space!

That's all I got. ^_^ I'm proud that I least entered something...and one was animated! :/

Last edited:
Don't cross out the idea that this guy might be a talent scout from Nintendo...

^.~

LuzTeTT said:
Don't cross out the idea that this guy might be a talent scout from Nintendo...

^.~
...Just what I was thinking actually. And what better place to go undercover than in the most private section of Wiichat? (The Design Lounge) No one ever ventures over here, and who else would be willing to do this type of thing except people who have the ambition to do it (us GFX people...)

We figured you out, naisatoh. :/

Axtlár's submission will be here...that's what...never mind I'll put it in the third page along with that other one

Last edited:
I've done quite a bit of mine. Still need some time to add a few details, if I have time to (such as a proper backround).
*drumroll*
pipeplace3hb2.png

OK, so it's the stage from the original mario bros.! Or similar atleast, with a few tweeks (such as bigger and less blue blocks). So this will be pretty much the same as in the game. The tiles will move when jumped under, which could potentially knock over players, and cause minor damage. Also, the pipes will function in the same way, with enemies coming out of them at a constant rate, but now woth mushrooms coming out ocassionally (as in Super Mario Bros. 3) as well as freezies. The fireball will pop up every now and then to annoy the players. Also, the top and bottom will be featured pow blocks (I'll add them if I have time)! anybody on the ground will get knocked over when they are hit. Really, the only major difference, is, if you go out of the screen, you don't come out the other side. You're dead.

In my opinion, this would be a great addition. It's from a classic game, and traces back far. It's part of Nintendo's important history. It would also be a very different map, as was the Game & Watch map from melee, and could be interesting. It may not necessarily have to be a versus map as I described, but they could make it into a 1-P game, similar to the target test, which would have you kill enemies, but you could go off stage and to the other side this time, but you would have a very low HP count, and if you loose your HP, your dead. In this sense, it would be the original Mario Bros. but with new characters, more moves, and better graphics.

Hope you liked my 3D approach to this contest, and feedback would be appreciated!

NOTE: this may not be my final submission. It depends on how much time I have to spend on it...

P.S. Still thinking on a good backround idea.

Update:
Here it is, with the added pow blocks. Once the pow blocks are used, the stage will then look like my original picture. Also, the original backround is black, so I may keep it black here as well.
pipezqg8.png

Hope you like it so far!

Last edited:
Axtlár's submission: "Mario vs. Donkey Kong"

The stage(s) I have designed for Super Smash Bros. Brawl to be entered in this entertaining contest, have origins from a game called Mario vs. Donkey Kong for the Game Boy Advance, and later made a sequel for the Nintendo DS, it’s apt to mention that these games were inspired by the first Donkey Kong game, and it follows its game play spiritually.
(Note: these could be both viewed as competitive levels of the stage or for game modes like Adventure in which Mario will fight Donkey Kong or another boss)

This is the main level of the stage (Mario Toy Company):
(note: the characters, in reality would be somewhat smaller for this picture below)
MarioToyCompany.jpg

It’s neutral, meaning it does not move in any way camera-wise, the colored block platforms (with the exception of the green ones) can be activated by the corresponding switches, giving the players opportunities to reach high places with their characters, for example: in this particular level, the red block platform is activated by the red switch and once activated, you can use your character to jump to the green platform and go up the red block stairs and then to the other green platform where one could press the blue switch so that the opponent is not be able to reach him, this comes in handy when having a high percentage, and then suddenly in that particular place or another, a key will appear as an item for this stages only, once the key is grabbed, the player can go to the door with the keyhole and something will happen, which will be explained shortly.
The small platform with a vertical pipe in the left side of the picture is an elevator; it changes direction from up to down and vice versa by pressing the switch on top of the blue platform above the “elevator” characters will be able to jump on to go up or down when they want to. The rest of the stage is the background, and as Link and Mario battle it out, Mini-Marios will start appearing, coming out from their toy building at various times only, not all the time. The Mini-Marios will be harmless but can be attacked on making them fly off the stage. The factory expulsing smoke will at one point implode and expulse a great quantity of smoke that it will severely block the player’s screen, making it hard to fight for a brief period of time. This level in particular turns from day to night.

Back to the key element: as stated above, the keys will only appear once for each stage and in various places, the player can choose not to obtain it, but if he decides to obtain it, he has the opportunity of using it to unlock the door with the keyhole in it, if he does so, the stage will be embraced by a bubble and the characters will get swallowed by the keyhole warping them into another level of the stage to keep on fighting. The key can be used as a weapon(by throwing it only) and once it falls to a precipise or lava it can't be resotred so players must finish the battle right there, but if it's for Adventure mode then it will appear again at an unexpected time while the player fights hordes of enemies similar to the Kirby or Yoshi etc. teams, and until they get the key and open the door leading to the next level, they will go to that level, but if they stay there longer, worse for them since the enemies will inflict more damage on them and eventually loose, that is if they never get the key.

LlavesdeMario.jpg

In the picture above you can see how the "key" works and how it gives abundance to the stage and also represents better the game in which it is based.

FireMountain.jpg

This is the third level of the stage called Fire Mountain. In here is much dangerous than the neutral level, this one moves up and down, similar to Ice Climber’s stage in Melee, it repeats the trajectory so that if you missed a key, it will still be sitting the same place it fell. Not only is the camera going up, also the lava below is! Which will inflict great damage if it touches you, if you get into the lava you'll get stuck just like quicksand, so keep on jumping to get out of it. The exclamation sign in the right side of the picture warns you for when the lava starts to flow up. In this level in particular there are spikes on top of some platforms that inflict damage on you, there are evanescent platforms as seen above our good demonstrator Pikachu, who is about to open a crate (with fantasy design), but Meta Knight seems to want some competition! And heads up! The bird……. above him, which is made of fire, seems to be angry at them and drops little fire excrement just like in the Mario vs. Donkey Kong game. There also exists a creature swimming deep in the lava (Blahrg), he emerges once in a while to attack those in his path, inflicting damage as well as the fire bird, there are also other enemies that inflict damage like shy guys etc. and the rest is the background.

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Last edited:
Nice ideas.. but only one submission.. I guess you can post both, and have the users decide which they like best, and go with that for your final sub.

naisatoh said:
Nice ideas.. but only one submission.. I guess you can post both, and have the users decide which they like best, and go with that for your final sub.
Told you to extend the deadline. :) Now you have 3 new submissions.

naisatoh said:
you mean me, right? well I'll only put up two, but keep in mind they are "levels" of the stage not separate stages

Wow, 3 actual submissions so far. Wow. So right now I have a 1 in 3 chance of winning! Is there a prize? I'm a little lazy, can't be bothered to look through the thread if there is one...

Back