SSBB Disc Spins Hard

Tek720

WiiChat Member
Dec 19, 2006
Anybody notice how much harder the SSBB disc spins compared to a standard single layer disc? It makes me think Nintendo didn't plan for these dual layer games.

Yes, my Wii really goes crazy sometimes. It makes me a bit worried, but on Sunday I played Brawl for nearly 11 hours ( ye Gods, I know) and nothing has gone wrong yet. I noticed it spins a lot accessing the stage builder, and for adventure mode.

I can feel the SSBB disc spinning if I place my hand on the Wii. All other discs you can't even feel spin.

I am lucky to have no issues with playing it.

I believe that nintendo did plan on using the dual layer discs because they actually made the wii capable of using them.I wouldnt worry about it. It might spin fast, but that only because it has to read a lot of data. The wii can handle it.

Evi1d33d said:
Which is why all of a sudden Wii's are getting 'dirty' lenses :wink:

actually the dual layer discs are more sensitive than the normal discs, so it is true that people have dirty lenses in their wiis.

thas said:
actually the dual layer discs are more sensitive than the normal discs, so it is true that people have dirty lenses in their wiis.
So will Nintendo give all Wii owner life time supply of free cleansing? What prevent it from getting dirty again? So about a year later you better hope Nintendo still offers free cleaning or you are out of luck.

actually there are some stores that offer the cleaning and wont get rid of your warranty. BTW how long is the wii's warranty anyway. Isnt it like a year or something? Shouldnt it be done by now.

with it spinning so hard i cant but think somethings wrong. lol. its like i need an old mouse pad for this thing just to deaden some of the noise from all the vibrating on my desk. its 5 1/4" disk drives and 10 meg hard drives from 84' that made this much noise when operating.

If Big N implemented dual disc I think they intend it to be used it. It probably can't be helped how the drive reads the disc and makes noise. I mean if you ever reset the Wii you hear a little spin noise or something.

As for the dirty lenses, I think some are dirty, but that's not the main reason why Big N urge you to send your Wii to them, free of shipping charge, instead of sending out a cleaning kit or something. I read that some of the drive aren't calibrated to read dual layered disc right, so you need to send them in for Big N to fix that. Some might be dirty lenses, mind you, but like mentioned above it doesn't make sense Big N would go through all that just to 'clean lenses' that could get dirty again if the same condition is repeated.

Douten said:
As for the dirty lenses, I think some are dirty, but that's not the main reason why Big N urge you to send your Wii to them, free of shipping charge, instead of sending out a cleaning kit or something. I read that some of the drive aren't calibrated to read dual layered disc right, so you need to send them in for Big N to fix that. Some might be dirty lenses, mind you, but like mentioned above it doesn't make sense Big N would go through all that just to 'clean lenses' that could get dirty again if the same condition is repeated.
Exactly, a cheap disc cleaner will be far cheaper than a professional cleaning at the Nintendo shop. I'm pretty sure some are swapped out for new parts. Someone should mark their Wii and see if they get back the same one. Or even better, open up the Wii and mark different components and see which one is replaced (probably the whole drive or the lens).

that's okay. mine doesn't spin at all. :( back to the game stop after work again today to exchange it. hopefully it's just a freak disc.

Evi1d33d said:
Exactly, a cheap disc cleaner will be far cheaper than a professional cleaning at the Nintendo shop. I'm pretty sure some are swapped out for new parts. Someone should mark their Wii and see if they get back the same one. Or even better, open up the Wii and mark different components and see which one is replaced (probably the whole drive or the lens).

Nintendo sends you a print-out of exactly what was replaced. You can tell if they opened your Wii by looking at the plastic stickers that cover the screws. Nintendo reuses them when they put your Wii back together and they tend to have tiny pry marks on them.

Back