SSBB Online Ranking System

CxThor

Want Wii, NY, HELP!
Dec 28, 2006
The 'Cello
SSBB is a definite 2007 release title and will no doubt be not only one of the Wii's major top sellers Seeing as how its on IGN's Top wanted Wii and Top Wanted Game Charts (Number 1 on the Top wanted Wii chart) but also Wii's top played online game as it will be one of the first few with online capabilities launched. But as for Online play what will we be seeing? Many games have ranking systems for online play but with that comes the good and the bad.

Pros and Cons for a ranked SSBB online system.

Pros -

Pride - Players take pride in their online ranks especially the hardcore gamer which leads to the next Pro.

Replay value - Being able to achieve a higher rank or losing a rank puts the player closer to the game. Which always allows for replay value becuase players are constantly trying to increase their rank and SSBB online status. Its almost addicting. Any Halo 2 online player can vouch for this.

MLG - Major League Gaming is one of the top competitive gaming leagues out there as well as one of the most organized. They sponsor Halo 2 and SSBM tourneys (1v1 and 2v2 brackets) as well as providing seasonal points rankings with BIG prize payouts. An online SSBB will only increase the popularity of the game as well as competitive gaming, which will then in result of the other two increase Nintendo, Super Smash Brothers Series games, MLG, and competitive gaming's popularity.

Endurance - Any online game that lasts the first few months and continues to grow will have a greater affect on the gaming and competitive gaming community.

Cons -

Hacking / Modding - If there's a will there's a way. Any CS or Halo online player can tell you that with a ranking system comes an increase in people moddifying and hacking consoles and messing with connections to find a way to climb to the highest rank possible quickly and without actually having to possess any skill at the game. This frustrates the many and majority of the online players and greatly reduces the quality of online gameplay. Hopefully Nintendo is on top of this and finds prevention (HOST YOUR OWN SERVERS PLEASE!!!).

These are my opinions that I could pop off the top of my head from experience and my prior knowledge and my predictions. Either way Ranked or Non Ranked SSBB's online play is new, so every Nintendo, Wii, and Super Smash Bros. fan will be chomping at the bit to finally play SSBB with others around the world. Great care should be taken in considering ranking or not becuase it could entirely change the online gameplay and quality. Too many games before have been nearly ruined for the hardcore gaming fanbase and consumers becuase of ranking. But at the same time the ranking has provided online gamers with a new gaming goal and addiction.

Article - (IGN)

I've been thinking about playing Super Smash online with leaderboards/rankings for a LONG A** time. If this happens, I'll never leave my room.

It will be awesome either way, but just something I'm curious about is, do you use the wii remote or the gamecube one because I've heard rumour about it only being gamecube. and also when's the date for release?

SSBB is going to use the older gamecube style controller, its one thing to be able to apply something like the Wii mote to gaming but its functionality to SSBB wouldn't work as well as the current controller (and changing the controls might mess up SSBB chance of landing into MLG replacing SSBM).

Super Smash Brothers has been online for years (GC version) but not to perfection.

If you search around enough you'll find out what I'm talking about

With Mario Kart DS, if you were winning online, usually people would lose which meant it doesn't count as a win (as far as I know). Know if they're gonna improve this for Brawl?

StevenNevets said:
Super Smash Brothers has been online for years (GC version) but not to perfection.

If you search around enough you'll find out what I'm talking about

I've never looked into it but as a game meant for online play it won't compare to SSBB's online play.

Article - Here is an article that verifies that SSBB will not be using the Wiimote controller but rather the old Gamecube controllers or optionally you can use a newer Wiimote shell that is almost identical to the old GCN controller.

i don't think they will encourage people to use gamecube controller

reason one
1) it's wii, not gamecube
2) it's not wireless, and people won't want to buy gamecube controllers

therefore, i still think nintendo is going to encourage people using wii classic controller more than gc controller, not gamecube controllers (although u can still use the gc controllers)

another reason is there's no 3rd party classic controller yet in the market, but there's many 3rd party cheap stupid gc controllers.

Back