SSBB Settings Thread

Tournament lots my interest after a couple weeks. 1v1 spent too much time dodging and edguarding. With 1v1v1v1 the match is always moving and full of fighting. That's my idea of fun, end of argument for me. Still I 1v1 with the better players.

Turning items off is like ignoring an entire element of Brawl. Items are a part of the game, and you need to be able to use them.

Just like LiK said, it adds variability to the game! Variability is a part of Brawl as well. Beyond the wavedashing, SHFFLing etc. there are the aspects of a player that cannot be developed by turning items off.

I'm not opposed to people turning items off... if you really find it more enjoyable then go for it. HOWEVER, a truly great player will be able to have the use of items in his arsenal of techniques.

My personal thoughts are that Sakurai has put them there to be used... and I feel that they do add to the gameplay. That said, I had the item appearance on "very high" in Melee, so I did switch some items off which I didn't really like. They took up space on the stage (especially small stages) and I wouldn't use them anyway.

...and yes, I realise now I just basically repeated everything that LiK just said. Damn.

iggypop said:
having items on makes the game fairer/funner for everyone. like reggie said about mario kart "a newcomer or a kart veteran will be able to compete bumper to bumper" ... having items on in brawl will always give the newbies a chance to beat the weiners who play for 12 hours a day and are able to come up with cheap little moves to win everytime (e.g. MSC) .... think about it, there will be a hell lot less disconnecters, if even the worst brawl player still has a chance to win by getting a great item against guys (or girls) who play this game non-stop ... a little luck goes a long way in making this game funner for everyone involved ....
lol fair and fun are all good and dandy. they are for some and they are fun. but no need to trash talk those who enjoy playing on a competitive level. its either ignorance or jealousy that compels such statements in my books. i dont see why noobies have to hate on veterans for being good and owning and why vets have to make fun of noobs for sucking... cant we all just be happy with the game? lol

to ssbbdude:
for melee purposes my characters were
1. sheik
2. Jiggly
3. CF
4. fox
5. pichu lol replaced with kirby for brawl discontinue purposes lol
stages:
1. dreamland 64
2. FD

to andthen?:

yes it is a great addition to the game and adds an extra variable but that doesnt mean they are favorable in every situation. remember that just because tourney players dont use items they would still own our crap if we played with them. just watch a video with peach or link in it. if you watch the other guy will catch the turnips/ bombs consistantly as they are thrown at him... could we do the same with that precision? items do not add an extra level to the game since small items are ALWAYS in the game if projectile characters are used. they dont take any extra skill over any tourney player because it should be clear that the skill required is simply learned through play, competative or not. it take no practice past the norm. while it is a good thing for the game to have you cannot convince me it adds an extra level of skill to the game for the above reasons

Last edited:
My ideal game is:
1vs1vs1vs1
Items: ON
All Stages
Ganondorf

It isn't like Brawl only gives you two choices, Items or No Items? You can choose to turn off the hammer, the smash ball, etc. I want items ON because I am pretty good at throwing them at people. More often than not in Melee, I would pick up a gun and instead of firing it I would chuck it at the person and then smash 'em off the stage.

1. Ganondorf
2. Lucario
3. Capt. Olimar
4. Wolf
5. TP Link or Toon Link
Stages: Bridge of Eldin and New Pork City

Everyone take a note out of Subarnu's book and spoiler your character choices; specifically spilff_ssbb and SSBBdude.

Thanks.

AndThen? said:
Everyone take a note out of Subarnu's book and spoiler your character choices; specifically spilff_ssbb and SSBBdude.

Thanks.
....my post is for melee characters... i cant possibly know my brawl mains before i play it

Subarnu: It's an expression, haha.

spiff-ssbb said:
to andthen?:

yes it is a great addition to the game and adds an extra variable but that doesnt mean they are favorable in every situation. remember that just because tourney players dont use items they would still own our crap if we played with them. just watch a video with peach or link in it. if you watch the other guy will catch the turnips/ bombs consistantly as they are thrown at him... could we do the same with that precision? items do not add an extra level to the game since small items are ALWAYS in the game if projectile characters are used. they dont take any extra skill over any tourney player because it should be clear that the skill required is simply learned through play, competative or not. it take no practice past the norm. while it is a good thing for the game to have you cannot convince me it adds an extra level of skill to the game for the above reasons

I agree with you that tournament players would be able to use items. However - there are many items that are not replicated in characters' movesets (e.g. Warp Star, both mushrooms, etc.). This makes them add a different aspect to the game.

What I'm saying is that items are an aspect of the game that shouldn't be deleted. If you can pose an argument as to why they would be taken out then by all means, run it by me. The only one that I can think of is the one mentioned about adding to the variability... which I think only adds to the fun.

There are alot of items i plan on turning off every now and then, depending on my mood. Good chance pokeballs will be off alot, along with hammers. But all items will probably be on when I'm playing with friends, to make the battle more chaotic :D

edit:

Also have a question about the camera settings. For games over the net, does anyone know if it will be possible to set the camera so follows your character more, and is more zoomed in than normal?

Also, any idea if there will be an option to reduce the size of the HUD (the % for each player) during gameplay?

Last edited:
AndThen? said:
I agree with you that tournament players would be able to use items. However - there are many items that are not replicated in characters' movesets (e.g. Warp Star, both mushrooms, etc.). This makes them add a different aspect to the game.

What I'm saying is that items are an aspect of the game that shouldn't be deleted. If you can pose an argument as to why they would be taken out then by all means, run it by me. The only one that I can think of is the one mentioned about adding to the variability... which I think only adds to the fun.

if by deleted you mean removed from the game completely then i agree that should never happen. but with regards to turning them off for tourney play. the reason is that the purpose of a tourney event is to see which person can best utilize a character's move set to full potential. to win a big event you need a combination of skill, knowledge, timing, spacing and most importantly you need to be unpredictable. the reason items are disabled is because it takes away from that. NOT because items are cheap and easy to use though. its because they fall or appear at random times in random places giving the closest person an unfair advantage. if character could be provided with a set arsinal of items that would be a different story. but it takes away from the skill factor because you can never predict where they might come from so even if you completely out play your opponent they could still win by good fortune with item placements.

whoa...too much to read about items. as if some items werent already bad enough to possibly have in real tourneys now you have more. if i want a real match you can keep your hammer in your tool shed and pokeballs in your pants. the only element they add is chaos. the only thing i will say about my settings is that im gonna have the music off.

Lugia said:
whoa...too much to read about items. as if some items werent already bad enough to possibly have in real tourneys now you have more. if i want a real match you can keep your hammer in your tool shed and pokeballs in your pants. the only element they add is chaos. the only thing i will say about my settings is that im gonna have the music off.
what the heck is even the point of buying brawl for you then? seriously?

^...your not suggesting that without music hammers and pokeballs the game isn't worth playing are you?...

hold it..i didnt say i wasnt going to have any matches with those items just serious matches with no items as i would expect the people i will play against like spiff and shion to feel the same way.
sam the point of buying brawl and telling you what options i will use is to piss you off okay? dumbass...

[rant]
Every time someone says "oh noes, I don't use items" someone else cries heresy. Items don't make super smash bros. super smash bros. If items were never included, the name would still be the same. The game is not titled "Super smash bros Items" is it?? This thread is for talking about what settings you are going to play with, not a no-item hating club. Just be respectful. No post here is going to change their mind anyways. And also read the whole post.

When someone mentions that they don't use items, people go crazy like they just offended their religious beliefs. Dude, it's a game. It was made for players and people who buy it can play it any way they want to, especially since it's in the options.

And nobody complains when someone says they're maining a character. Nobody complains with "Then why did you buy SSBB if you don't play the other characters?" When people play a character exclusively, they call it practice and maining. When someone doesn't use items, pitchforks go up, torches get lit, it's heresy.

If you feel so strongly about it, don't bash them. Be respectful. It's only a game. If Nintendo felt that items were so crucial to the game, then why is the "none" option available for item spawning?
[/rant]

Last edited:
Back