SSBM - Advanced Skills: How Good Are You?

LevesqueIsKing said:
^Hardly true. Many skills will carry over to Brawl. Some may change and some may be introduced, but the better you know melee the better you'll know Brawl.
That is exactly what i said on the last page.....if they keep the controls the same as melee...then yes....you'll just as good on Brawl as you were on melee

Brawl will not be the same as Melee. Slight changes will mean different things to different people.
Brawl can not be used to assess skill in Melee.

Prez said:
Brawl will not be the same as Melee. Slight changes will mean different things to different people.
Brawl can not be used to assess skill in Melee.
Well as long as it has the same controls which it does....i have no problem with it

They did with SSB, i learned the controls quick on SSBM

So if i learn the controls from SSBM (which i already know) it will be the same as SSBB....

character moves may be changed or downgraded or you may change characters all together. Imao i think the first smash and Melee were very different. Aside to the graphics, Melee had toned down the power of throws, and certain characters like kirby were down-graded.

CyanRussel said:
Well as long as it has the same controls which it does....i have no problem with it

They did with SSB, i learned the controls quick on SSBM

So if i learn the controls from SSBM (which i already know) it will be the same as SSBB....

really? cause me changed a lot

a) fox was my main in ssb, but not in ssbm
b) i never lost a single match in ssb(that i can recall) and i've lost plenty in melee

however i think melee will be closer to brawl than it was the original ssb, and if shoko is THAT GOOD in ssbm, he must have SOME skill in ssbb

Exactly. No one uses Melee to compare original smash skills. Many little things (that actually mean a lot) will change that might only be noticed by the more competitive players.
Example: Marth's range, Samus's crouch cancel, etc..
Also, the only person who said Shoko was good, was Shoko. You guys really shouldn't over-estimate just anyone who claims to be amazing. You'll find most great smashers are actually quite modest, and don't brag.
I dare anyone to go on smashboards and tell everyone that your the best.

Last edited:
mushroomedmario said:
really? cause me changed a lot

a) fox was my main in ssb, but not in ssbm
b) i never lost a single match in ssb(that i can recall) and i've lost plenty in melee

however i think melee will be closer to brawl than it was the original ssb, and if shoko is THAT GOOD in ssbm, he must have SOME skill in ssbb
YOU used Fox too in SSB....you and me have something in common....i dont think i remember loosing either!

When Melee came out, the only thing that was different to me was charging the smash attack or you could just do it SSB way, by just using the c-stick to do a regular smash attack.....special moves such as Right B and Left B was nothing i couldnt adapt to, it was just like SSB....just tacked on with more buttons!

SSBB cant be any different....if so, we wouldnt be able to use the "GameCube Controller" now would we? Theres a reason they said we could play with the GameCube controller right....

They even said it at the dojo of Smashbros.com......so actually me, LIK and Mushroomed are right.....nothing really changed Prez....

Prez said:
Exactly. No one uses Melee to compare original smash skills. Many little things (that actually mean a lot) will change that might only be noticed by the more competitive players.
Example: Marth's range, Samus's crouch cancel, etc..
Also, the only person who said Shoko was good, was Shoko. [STRIKE]You guys [/STRIKE]Some of you guys really shouldn't over-estimate just anyone who claims to be amazing. You'll find most great smashers are actually quite modest, and don't brag.
I dare anyone to go on smashboards and tell everyone that your the best.
Hold on.....i never said he was good...like i said before..i booked a match with him to see how good he is!

Last edited:
1. I agree that specific skills will not carry over, however, general knowledge of the game will surely benefit someone playing Brawl for the first time.
2. Shoko is a topic that interests many of us, not because he claims to be good, because he claims that he has never lost a match in melee.
3. Lawl'd at the SB comment.

CyanRussel said:
YOU used Fox too in SSB....you and me have something in common....i dont think i remember loosing either!

When Melee came out, the only thing that was different to me was charging the smash attack or you could just do it SSB way, by just using the c-stick to do a regular smash attack.....special moves such as Right B and Left B was nothing i couldnt adapt to, it was just like SSB....just tacked on with more buttons!

SSBB cant be any different....if so, we wouldnt be able to use the "GameCube Controller" now would we? Theres a reason they said we could play with the GameCube controller right....

They even said it at the dojo of Smashbros.com......so actually me, LIK and Mushroomed are right.....nothing really changed Prez....
You can not know what will change and what will not yet.
An immense amount of things were changed in ssb-ssbm, regardless of whether you noticed them or not.
Gameplay will be similar, yes. But not exactly the same. Like stated above, one tiny, little change can affect someone's entire gameplay/strategy.

Prez said:
You can not know what will change and what will not yet.
An immense amount of things were changed in ssb-ssbm, regardless of whether you noticed them or not.
Gameplay will be similar, yes. But not exactly the same. Like stated above, one tiny, little change can affect someone's entire gameplay/strategy.
Ummm, lol.....You did notice i was talking about the controls not the gameplay right?:scared:

CyanRussel said:
Ummm, lol.....You did notice i was talking about the controls not the gameplay right?:scared:
Yes but regardless of the controls being the same, it's the changes in the gameplay that are actually going to make the difference.
It is good that the controls are similar but we really don't know if that is going to mean anything yet.

but gameplay and controls are interwined with each other, plus the footstool jump, that's a difference to the controls itself....
Right, and i'm sure that there are a lot more new techniques like that to come.

mushroomedmario said:
but gameplay and controls are interwined with each other, plus the footstool jump, that's a difference to the controls itself....
Thats easy...all you got to do his jump on top of that other character when coming back.....(press y or x on the GC controller...bam a footstool jump, they've already said how to do it on the site):smilewinkgrin:

Prez said:
Yes but regardless of the controls being the same, it's the changes in the gameplay that are actually going to make the difference.
It is good that the controls are similar but we really don't know if that is going to mean anything yet.
You know what, your right on the part where you said we "dont know if the controls on SSBB are going to mean anything yet"

But yet, we still know that it will be the same.......i mean, why change the controls of what made the game great?

CyanRussel said:
Thats easy...all you got to do his jump on top of that other character when coming back.....(press y or x on the GC controller...bam a footstool jump, they've already said how to do it on the site):smilewinkgrin:

You know what, your right on the part where you said we "dont know if the controls on SSBB are going to mean anything yet"

But yet, we still know that it will be the same.......i mean, why change the controls of what made the game great?

mario's move sets(both a and b) are different, so that might change my skill/i might have to switch mains again...

^They already announced that you could assign any action to any button, in the names update.

Back