(SSBM) How to test youre skill the best ( discussion )

cyberzomby

OH NOES! A PICTURE
May 9, 2007
Netherlands
Wii Online Code
4855-3513-2198-8739
Ive said this a few times and already had a short discussion about this in another topic. See this as the final showdown. Say what you think about the following:

You want to see whos better. You or the opponent. Do you play final destination ( because than you can see who knows the buttons/attacks best ) or do you play random stage, items and perhaps even random character ( to see who knows the game best )

This is how I think about it. When going head to head with someone I dont think you can just pick final destination without items.

Skill not only involves bashing the right buttons in time but also reacting to different situations ( heart container, hammer )

(Copied from another topic where I said the following )
Yes. If you want to see who is the best in smash-brosh you should play with items.

Just like you dont go standing in front of each other counting down and start shooting at each other in an FPS. No ! In an fps it comes down who reacts to unknown situations the best AND has got the best aim.

You dont play mario strikers with all power-ups off and no items 2 right?

If the opponent gets a laser sword you will need to attack him different. If he gets the hammer you need to run !

If you only play that final showdown stage ( if thats the name ) with no items you eventualy figure out the opposing characters weaknes. Goodjob! You figured out 50% on how to win. Now you need to start learning how to win in changing enviroments.

In a more out of context example to close it all off: Wars are won by soldiers who are trained to shoot, react to unknown situations and are prepared.

So what do you guys think and why? I know theres a lot of you out there that keep saying: Final destination and no items, but I only hear that I suck and that my idea is not correct. So tell me why you play: Final destination, no items to test youre skill.

yeah i totaly agree with u... i'm sick of peeps complaining to me cuz i kick their ass with a homerun bat or somethin like that.... u need to learn to avoid the bat

I like to play Final destination with no items once in a while because its a fair advantage to both the player and myself. I wont have to hear hey... you only beat me because you got this and that item.. So I play with no items and flat land. I could care less if we played with items.. I myself dont use em so I end up throwing em at who ever im playing. lol

I love to throw mr saturn ! And the fan. It looks so silly. Here I am the big bowser and Im going to kick youre * OUCH! * Stop throwing at me!

Darkonix said:
I like to play Final destination with no items once in a while because its a fair advantage to both the player and myself. I wont have to hear hey... you only beat me because you got this and that item.

Now here we have a totally oblivious person who has explain exactly why it is there should be no items in a final showdown. Take away everything that gives and takes the advantage and see who can preform with the character and there moves.

I agee that people need to play with all weapons and random levels and people should also not pick the same character over and over and over again I try to be someone different most of the time and I pick random for the level even if I have to fight on that stupid Ice climbers level and if you can't play with weapons then don't play at all cuz weapons are half the fun of the game

KaosAssassin said:
I agee that people need to play with all weapons and random levels and people should also not pick the same character over and over and over again I try to be someone different most of the time and I pick random for the level even if I have to fight on that stupid Ice climbers level and if you can't play with weapons then don't play at all cuz weapons are half the fun of the game

Same 'ere

I agree with the top guy i really don't use the items when i'm winning or losing but if a heart container falls i will throw like there is no tomorrow at them to stop them from getting that item and get it to me so the way i see it is that if u know how to play and u are good u wouldn't even need items but there are those who just have to have every single item that falls on the map.

random/no items, duh. ive been in 2 SSB mini tourneys and they both were played like this, its the most fair. part of SSB is platforming so final destination dosent really show whos the best at SSB.

This is very interesting. I've always played FD no items 5 stock, but you've made me question myself. From now on I am probably playing random stage.

These debates are far and few between in the brawl sub-forum and because of that I thank you.

*REPPED*

Finally someone agrees with me D:

Not using items is pretty much an insult to the makers of the game.
They're awesome!

There is no luck when using items.
Psh.

It's skill and how to react to the items.
Home-run bat. Easiest thing to dodge, ever. It takes like, a second to actually swing it.

But setting up your opponent to where he can't run away from the bat, now that's skills.

I'm pretty sure when you guys play your FPS, you don't stick with the starter gun throughout the entire match.

^Actually my friends (who are halo-aholics) play lockout no grenades BR's only. They play that for hours.

For that reason I absolutely despise Halo.

[lightbulb]...hmmm, maybe thats why my friends dont like to play ssbm?[/lightbulb]

Trulen said:
Finally someone agrees with me D:

Not using items is pretty much an insult to the makers of the game.
They're awesome!

There is no luck when using items.
Psh.

It's skill and how to react to the items.
Home-run bat. Easiest thing to dodge, ever. It takes like, a second to actually swing it.

But setting up your opponent to where he can't run away from the bat, now that's skills.

I'm pretty sure when you guys play your FPS, you don't stick with the starter gun throughout the entire match.
there is luck with items. you could be fighting and fighting, youre down to 1 life each. your opponent is about to get knocked off the stage and then a heart container drops. he gets lucky and lives, then maybe a hammer or some other item drops and he grabs it too winning the game. you shouldve won that match, but he got lucky. the item drop and where it drops is random, when seeing whos better you shouldnt include random factors.

Good to see this is still a mature discussion ;)

Well sure that can happen. But thats also a reason to me why more rounds should be played to see who's best. Maybe make a best of 3. Also part of the skill you should have is box/crate/item denial for the opponent. Just beat him up whenever he comes near a thing or take the items/boxes youreself. When I play my friend we usualy play 1 on 1 but with items and stuff. Only items Im really using are pokeballs and ray guns. I'm just throwing the items at him for disruption ;)

Sovieto said:
there is luck with items. you could be fighting and fighting, youre down to 1 life each. your opponent is about to get knocked off the stage and then a heart container drops. he gets lucky and lives, then maybe a hammer or some other item drops and he grabs it too winning the game. you shouldve won that match, but he got lucky. the item drop and where it drops is random, when seeing whos better you shouldnt include random factors.
Not necessarily. You shouldn't include random factor's that only apply to a single person. You yourself said that the fairest way was to play on a random stage, which is understandable becuase it is equally random for both players. Therefore, if the game somehow dropped the 'random' items equally random for both teams (drops two of the same items equal distance from each player, as if a reflection) then we could play with items on. Until that day I wont be playing with items.

Wow, that was such a nit-picky argument.

Back