Standard vs High Definition

MrKlown

Weird Guy
Oct 9, 2006
Martha, KY
Has anyone on here played their wii on both standard and high definition, and if so what was the mentionable differences? I just bought the new Need For Speed and while the graphics are nice I am noticing jagged looking lines in the car's small details, would high def correct this? Was also wondering if anyone has tried to hook their wii up to a crt monitor because I am really considering this. I got an old 17" CRT monitor just collecting dust and was thinking maybe it would give a high definition type resolution. I do know it would at least be better than a standard definition tv.

First, it's ENHANCED def. (480p).

Second, the difference is very noticable. The jaggies should go away with components.

Good luck finding component>VGA adapter:p

Yeah, it should be better, depending on the native resolution of the monitor.

I dont know about your CRT monitor but if you have access to a HDTV i'd definitely recommend upgrading to component video leads.

Once you've changed the Wii settings you'll get output in 480p. I know that's not true High Definition but there's a real difference in sharpness and quality.

Well I definitely do not have access to an HDTV. If I had access to an HDTV I'd probably be able to afford a 360 or a ps3 by now lol.

Switching to components and 480p will definately show some improvement, and I don't forsee any problems hooking up to your CRT monitor.

Yeah Big, I know you don't foresee any problems but I am the type of person that if there is at least a slight possibility of a problem arising it will happen to me lol.

The Wii outputs in one of two signal specs (neither of which falls into the actual HD specification):

480i (interlaced)
480p (progressive scan)

The latter requires using a component cable.

While progressive will help to hide the vertical scanlines, it's just a case of whether all 480 are drawn at once, or if alternating lines (interlacing) are drawn, 1/2 during the first 1/2 of the frame, the remaining during the second 1/2.

What's kind of tricky is sometimes the interlacing effect will actually "soften" straight lines (this is perceptually different from one person to the next).

Bottom line? You're likely not going to see a massive sharpening of the picture by going EDTV (that's the 480P mode on the Wii), in fact, it might be worse (though there are other positive effects from a component hookup).

Umm, that probably only confused the issue huh? :lol:

on my 32 inch hdtv, wii games look great from afar but when i get about 6 feet away the amount of jaggies are ridiculous and make the games look terrible

Yeah, confusing to be honest. I am just getting tired of the wii now. I think I would be happier with a 360 which can hook up to a monitor quite easily. May end up selling my wii but not sure if it would bring enough to do it. How much you all think a wii with 2 controllers and 13 games would go for? Just off the top of your head.

Progressive = Worse

This just might be my setup... but I bought the component cables and switched to 480p... and Zelda looked horrible.

Now I have a 1080p 37" LCD HDTV.

With the composite (Red, White, Yellow) is setup to run through my Audio Receiver, which runs to my TV through composite.

With Component (Red, Green, Blue) it plugs directly into my TV and only the audio portion of the composite cable (Red, White) goes through the Audio Receiver.

With Component cables connected directly to my TV, Zelda had MASSIVE jaggies. When I used the composite cables running through my Audio Reciever the picture was VERY CLEAR.

The thing is you have to think about what is going on. An 1080p has a resolution of 1920×1080. So imagine how that low 480 resolution looks when its stretched out to that proportion.

The same should apply to 480i but interlaced can smooth jaggies.

I also suspect that since regular cable is 480i that my TV will up-convert an interlaced connection.

I had similar effects while using cable for the first time. If I program my cable box from the default 480i to 480p the picture was horrid.
780i vs 780p was the same way, progressive looked worse.

I haven't seen anything in 1080i or 1080p natively so I can't comment on that.

I haven't tried on HD but I believe my laptop has an HD screen so I'll try it once I get the necessary hard ware.

I'm using the plain ol' composite cables that come with the wii.
I'm on a 1080i resolution Sony Bravia TV, and I think it looks great.
Everything on the Wii looks wonderful to me in 16:9.
I'm super impressed that the Wii sends a 16:9 video signal over standard composite cables.
My TiVo sure as hell can't manage to do that, even though it's supposed to have a 16:9 option.

I played Metroid Prime 3 in 16:9 it looks better than standard-def TV does on an HDTV.

I didn't even know there were component cables available!
I personally don't think I would see much of a difference with them.

Back