Start up disc ... real purpose?

gzusnw

WiiChat Member
Oct 7, 2006
Mexico
Wii Online Code
8631-7650-3694-5161
I found in the web that the start up disc is for setting up controllers, internet and to register to the VC... is this true (NOTE: this info comes from a reply from someone unknown)

Source: N-Central (read the reply)

ya makes alot of since, i wouldnt doubt this-in my head i think its probably true-but who knoes...

That's probably true, I have actually no doubts in that theory. The name even sounds like that is what it could be.

It says: Opera Software, yet youll have to pay for it? Perhaps its free now since to many people said: (well atleast i did) Why on earth would you pay money for a browser you can get on free on your computer and you obviously have a computer already if your connecting to the internet.

Sovieto said:
It says: Opera Software, yet youll have to pay for it? Perhaps its free now since to many people said: (well atleast i did) Why on earth would you pay money for a browser you can get on free on your computer and you obviously have a computer already if your connecting to the internet.
this is whats happening, the browser will be freefrom now until june 07', when it hits june 07' u will have to pay a 1 time fee-dats it

xxwiiwiifanxx said:
this is whats happening, the browser will be freefrom now until june 07', when it hits june 07' u will have to pay a 1 time fee-dats it

and u hurd dis where?
as you would say, lol

Seriously though, where did you hear this..I know about the June thing, but they never gave details.

Yah, it's old, but no one really understands it. They don't know if you get it free for download until July or just a demo until July. They don't clarify it.
But still I ain't paying for a browser, no one should, it's just plain lazy and stupid if they have to spend like $10 so they don't have to go on the computer where they have all their cool instant messaging services too.

But hey, having a fully featured browser built into your TV console is worth like, 30 bucks at the very least. So I will appreciate that they do stuff like this for us. :)

Sovieto said:
Yah, it's old, but no one really understands it. They don't know if you get it free for download until July or just a demo until July. They don't clarify it.

You get browser for free, if you buy Wii before July07, after that you dont get it free.

xxwiiwiifanxx said:

No, it is free for DOWNLOAD untill June 07. Then, you have it free forever. But, if you don't download it untill after June 07, you will have to pay for it.

First off, to clarify, the startup disk contains an updated firmware for the Wii, which may or may not include Opera(the only way to be certain is to pop it into your computer when you get it and analyze the disk).

New firmware, however, has already been confirmed, as they didn't finalize it until post production of the hardware.

As far as the browser is concerned, Nintendo of Japan stated that they would include it free with the console up until June or July of next year, in which time, they will charge a fee of $10 for it.

The browser itself works on a limited trial basis, after which point the browser will alert you that it has gone to Virtual Console to be purchased(this should be subsequent to an update to the browser, inticing people to want to buy it).

Now, why would someone want a browser on their Wii?

Well, for one, the intuitive nature of the Wiimote will be perfect for elderly people, as they don't have to worry about the complications of a computer. Instant on capability could work wonders for people who just want to check something quickly before they have to run out the door to their busy lives.

Second, even those who have a computer to use will appreciate the fact that the Wii never needs any TLC to be running in tip-top shape, never gets a virus, doesn't limit you by any media or format restrictions like browsing on a cellphone or PDA does, and most importantly, can be had from the comfort of any room with a TV.

With Google's consumption of Writely, you can even do word processing and spreadsheets online from the Wii, eliminating the need for boring term papers to restrict you to an uncomfortable desk.

$10 doesn't seem like a lot when you consider the value that can be had from having a browser on your TV. Sure, five to ten years ago, when WebTV came out, I mocked it at being horribly conducive to failure, due to the many restrictions it placed on web browsing. It seems like Nintendo got it right this time.

Back