streaming video?

mybiglad

WiiChat Member
Jan 15, 2008
anyone here use the wii for streaming video? I wanted to use it to play files I have on my PC.

things i've tried and suck at using

Orb - by far the easiest to use and sexiest, worked right away, I've listened to music and watched videos. The largest I've watched is 350+MB, I've successfully watched a 100+MB video as well.

No joy watching long videos though. 700+MB videos start to load and then crash the wii! Have to hold down Power button to restart!

Anybody have the same experience?

I tried to Google all this stuff, and some folks had trouble with large videos on Orb...maybe it's a hardware thing?

Weezo - more complicated but works a little, I can't watch any video though, program is wicked slow and when it finally brings up your library, nothign works, everything takes forever to load...I haven't actually waited forever, I give up first

TVersity - not even sure, I suck at that one so bad that the webpage won't open up on the wii...

Weezo, WiiMC, and Wiideo oh my

I've tried Weezo, Wiimc, and Wiideo. I'm concerned about the way Orb works - I want to keep everything on my LAN. I didn't like Wiimc because it requires messing with the file structure of a web server and the suggested video conversion tool (it doesn't do conversions on the fly) crashed for me. Wiideo played music and pictures alright. However, the videos stop after a short period into the video. Also, Wiideo shows all your files sorted by drives which can be a security concern. I like Weezo as far as configuration. With Weezo, you add resources and groups to control access to your media. And, it can run just on your LAN or you can open it up to the internet. However, I'm having problems getting the videos to work. It shows the thumbnails, but when I click on the videos, it just hangs loading them. I'm about to try encoding one to Flash and see if it is just slow because of the on-the-fly encoding. Weezo's forum is French, which may make it difficult to get problems resolved. Net: Still not satisfied.

Flash media server (php) works great. The wii only has 512mb memory and that is why it crashes.

Back