Suddenly no Picture on TV

Zeta

WiiChat Member
Dec 31, 2006
Bought a second Wii last week (first one is three yrs old and has been bulletproof) but didn't use it until today. Played for about an hour on it no problem and then the game (Zelda) froze with the game picture still on the TV. Reset button didn't work or power off button either. Unplugged the Wii, then plugged it back in right away. Now there is now no video, just a black screen on TV. I can hear humming coming from the Wii and it will shut off with the power button now but no video. Checked all connections, inputs etc and all are fine.

Any suggestions?
Thx in advance

Bought a second Wii last week (first one is three yrs old and has been bulletproof) but didn't use it until today. Played for about an hour on it no problem and then the game (Zelda) froze with the game picture still on the TV. Reset button didn't work or power off button either. Unplugged the Wii, then plugged it back in right away. Now there is now no video, just a black screen on TV. I can hear humming coming from the Wii and it will shut off with the power button now but no video. Checked all connections, inputs etc and all are fine.

Any suggestions?
Thx in advance

Try looking in the trouble shooting section of your wii manual, are all the cords plugged in properly?, if your wii freezes you should probably let it sit for about 10-20 seconds before plugging everything back in again.

Thx for the quick reply......yes all connections are fine....I even took this Wii that won't show video over to another TV in our house that has our original Wii hooked up to it.....disconnected the original Wii from power, video and remote bar....hooked this new Wii with the problem to those connectors (ie the old Wiis power cable and connections just in case there was something wrong with the connectors that came with the new Wii) and same thing.....no picture......and it was unhooked for a good four or five minutes.

Unless the TVs aren't on the correct channel/output (which I don't see happening for both), I'm confident that your Wii's had a serious malfunction. I've had the same issue with Smash Brothers, but I can unplug/replug the power cord and turn it back on instantly. Since you've unplugged all the wires for a few hours and tried again afterwards, and even of previously working cables, I'm confident your Wii is "fried". I'd send it to Nintendo immediatly for repair/replacement, if you have a warranty. Since you've only had it a week, you should definatly get it replaced/repaired for free.

And if you're desperate to not have to send it in, I'd scavenge through Nintendo's support website for all it's worth.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/assets/region_select.jsp

Thx for commenting freak. The only thing that you mentioned that I haven't done is leave it unplugged for a few hrs......maybe four or five minutes at best.....but yes with other connectors that we know are fine and both TVs work fine with the original Wii Im betting like you that this new Wii is fried. I don't really have a problem with sending it away, other than the hassle, because we have the original Wii anyway. Just can't believe that it only worked for an hour lol. What the heck......its not an Xbox lol

Lol, I know what you mean. I would of expected my Xbox 360 to crap out on me well over a year ago, but it's been going strong for 3 years now, without a single sign of overheating or failure in general. And yet my Wii has multiple problems, not that they're major. The Wii Remotes like to screw with me quite a bit in terms of not connecting to the Wii at all, or desyncing terribly during gameplay. The disk drive is as loud as a large fan on the highest setting; best compared to a motorboat, as my friends claim.

I honestly feel sorry for anyone's Wii who just up and fails, though. The highest Wii Failure % I've ever seen was about 3%. It's just plain terrible to be in that 3% bracket.

Either way, rambling aside, good luck with your Wii repairs. =)

Returned the Wii to Nintendo, they couriered out a new one the next day and it runs fine.....all in all took about 10 days. No cost at all incurred by me so I'm very satisfied with Nintendo customer service.

Back