Supply Vs Demand

santascow

WiiChat Member
Oct 26, 2006
Do you guys think Nintendo Wii's are going to be sold out the first day? Is it necessary to camp out for one? I live in Reno, "the biggest little city in the world" and I was wondering if camping out was necessary considering how many Wii's Target, Wal-mart, Circuit City, Best Buy, K-Mart, Toys-R-Us would have. I wonder if I could just wake up early and just grab one off a shelf. Although camping out would be fun...

I am not sure if it will be a little difficult or not. Nintendo are shiping a lot of Wiis but they may not be enough. But another option is to pre-order so you wont have to camp or have the possibility of not getting one.

they shouldn't be all sold out
1 million Wiis for US should be enough for the opening day
but also remember 4 Million more are coming by the end of December
So you should really be able to grab one off the shelf if you go in early enough, you should be fine!

Blackjack said:
they shouldn't be all sold out
1 million Wiis for US should be enough for the opening day
but also remember 4 Million more are coming by the end of December
So you should really be able to grab one off the shelf if you go in early enough, you should be fine!

Rumored to be 11 million at most.

Wow thanks for the fast help guys! Yeah I'll probably just set my alarm clock for 7:00 AM and go hit up a chain of stores until I find one. Wonder why everyones paying so much for it on ebay though :scared:

heres a funny comic about supply and demand :)
061012.jpg

sorry i dont have anything to say about the post. just thought i would do something random and funny...

I did a little research. If we follow previous sales, Gamecube launched with 450,000 - 500,000 units. Sales confirmed that 350,000 - 400,000 units were sold. These are the numbers I got when i reserached a but, but from memory, I do remember the struggle of getting the Cube at launch, people were fighting and such. The point is, if their launching 1,000,000 wii's at launch, that is a hell -a- lot. So if you didn't pre-order, I do not think you should worry, if you do a little shopping or calling around I'm sure your find one. Though, Just to be safe, I will be starting a line at walmart at around 4 or 5pm for the midnight launch. I will be waiting in line for 24 Hrs for the ps3 so I can sell it, and pay for my Wii, and maybe buy a plasma tv with it if i'm lucky :) Anyways do your own research with the numbers, and if your to young to remember, ask your parents about how they got their grasps on the gamecube. Good Luck

Darth

If my numbers are off dont throw a fit, after all the internet isn't the most reliable source of information.

Thanks for the numbers darth, they helped. But I'm not planning on keeping the Wii now, I'm just probably going to sell it on Ebay cause I need cash right now. So the true question for me is even if I get one on the first day if I decide to camp out, would the Wii go for 2x the price. I know Xbox's went for $800-$1200 and that's a pretty good profit. Don't know how many they made though.

I remember when it was cube launch, couldn't get my hands on one for a month or two. But even if Wii's going to be 2x as much in stock at launch, I'm guessing the Wii is more in demand than the Cube. A lot of sites say that 2 or 3x more people want the Wii rather then the Xbox or PS3 and the fact that US is getting it first might make the price of the Wii go up significantly on ebay.

Gah I want to camp out for the assurance of a Wii but it would suck pretty bad if it went for $300 on ebay and people could just go to the local K-Mart on the 19th early in the morning. To camp out or not? Tough decision

Back