Support Third Party In 08!

CantGetAWii

WiiChat Member
Dec 22, 2006
WiiChat
Wii Online Code
3099-0319-5478-2979
Have you played Zack and Wiki on the Wii? If the sales numbers are a hint, the chances are you haven't. This is too bad, since not playing this game is going to wind up hurting the Wii library. In an industry as fast paced as video games, a title has approximately two weeks to prove itself. If the sales aren't up to par, the space is quickly replaced with a game that will keep the retailer profitable. Already, Zack and Wiki has been removed from many retailer shelves.

This is also a shame, since the game is a solid, challenging, and overall enjoyable video game. The downside to not owning Zack and Wiki is more than just missing out on a great game, it might just hurt the Wii's future library. Developers and Publishers are keeping a watchful eye on the success of Zack's first venture. If the game sells well, more companies can take faith in the idea that Wii customers include people who will enjoy a full length game. If sales don't pick up enough steam to be considered a successful entry into the game market, developers around the world will know to stick to their current formula; The Mini Game Madness Collection.

Capcom claims that Zack's first adventure, The Quest for Barbaros' Treasure, boasts over 30 hours of gameplay as well as over 30 bosses and enemies. Don't let the cell shading or the 'E for Everybody' rating fool you, this game is not for the young ones. Zack and Wiki is a puzzle solving game with stages so difficult it will have your local Mensa member going back to their house in fear of your new style, waggle controlled console. Humorously animated death scenes, numerous interactive functions for the Wii Remote, and a hot, sexy, banging, female nemesis that is destined to swipe, steal, or strip Zack of all treasure he finds. She does this by blowing up his airship, capturing his partner, or by interfering with planned treasure hunts. Someone should let her know that the most successful way to get a man’s treasure is by dating him.

The point is this. Third parties are going to stop creating full fledged adventures if we don't go out and buy them. Capcom are more than deserving of our money with Zack and Wiki. A common complaint of any Nintendo console library since the N64 has been the lack of third party support. With such an onslaught of crappy, shoddily put together video games, customers searching for a Wii title are forced to dig through the selections presented to them and hopefully find a title that provides 50 dollars worth of joy. Capcom takes the time to develop a game that's a solid platform puzzler, infuse it with a cell shaded look, throw in some humor and challenges, and it goes ignored by customers. My New Year’s resolution is to buy more full length third party games, and support the industry I have grown to love. Vote with your money, and let the industry know you are interested in new, original games... and pick up Zack and Wiki: Quest for BarBaros' Treasure.

Source:
http://www.cinemablend.com/games/You-Failed-The-Wii-Support-Third-Party-In-2008-8054.html

So basically people, if you haven't played that game. Do it now, go buy it.
And when 2008 rolls around and we do see some third party titles, help make them successful. Buy those as well, this way we get more and people can stop complaining about it. Cus quite frankly if you aren't buying the games that are given to us at first, then shut it. Stop whining :wink:

surely the future of the market doesnt rely on one game. Games like Metroid Prime 3, and Zelda sold like hot cakes. and the developers are trying to work it out from Zack and Wiki?

We dont need to start buying LONG games. we need to start buying HARDCORE games. Hardcore will lead to long games. If we buy up all the FPS', the Mario galaxies and the rest of the games coming out that could be "hardcore" then we will see the wiis library filled with longer, more hardcore games.

I dont want a long puzzle game personally. I want an FPS with good online play, and possibly some RTS' thrown in with a mixture of Nintendo games. ill be happy if you give me that. (and an MMORPG of course).

And i think the majority would agree with me.

Warrior said:
surely the future of the market doesnt rely on one game. Games like Metroid Prime 3, and Zelda sold like hot cakes. and the developers are trying to work it out from Zack and Wiki?

We dont need to start buying LONG games. we need to start buying HARDCORE games. Hardcore will lead to long games. If we buy up all the FPS', the Mario galaxies and the rest of the games coming out that could be "hardcore" then we will see the wiis library filled with longer, more hardcore games.

I dont want a long puzzle game personally. I want an FPS with good online play, and possibly some RTS' thrown in with a mixture of Nintendo games. ill be happy if you give me that. (and an MMORPG of course).

You obviously missed the whole entire point of the article. its about third party games selling well. most third party games so far have been complete **** but sell well, where as when a AA title like Zack and Wiki comes along that is a third party title and sells like ****, it gives the Wii and its owners little hope. If you were not aware there is something called the: Nintendo Curse. This is the reason why N64 didn't do as well and why Gamecube failed. The only good games on the system are first party Nintendo titles (your MP3 and Zelda that you mentioned) and since they are so good and they have so many properties to make them from, no third party can compete with them so they give up and move to other systems.

Oh, and an MMORPG on the Wii will probably never happen. MMORPGs are tough to make for consoles, a true MMORPG hasn't even been made for a console yet (all though many claim to have made them). The Wii will be the last choice for developers to make an MMORPG on because of its inferior online capabilities.

Last edited:
For the most part, I blame the Nintendo fans for this. No matter how crappy a game is, if it has Mario or some other iconic Nintendo figure, it will automatically get bought over another game of greater quality but of a lesser name. People talk about how Microsoft and Sony have fanboys, but the Nintendo fanboys literally are the worst of the bunch. If you take a mini-game collection, slap Mario and/or Sonic on it *cough*, it's going to sell a hell of a lot more than an actual game with a theme, that required some thought, and in turn requires thought to play.

actually budo the reason I bought mario and sonic was becuase i love the olympics i have had EVERY track and field game,winter sports and olympics

Wii_BrEnDo2007 said:
actually budo the reason I bought mario and sonic was becuase i love the olympics i have had EVERY track and field game,winter sports and olympics

I'm not here to judge anyones choice in games. You like what you like, I'm not saying that's bad or good. What I am saying is that the unwillingness of Nintendo fans to "try something new" is more prevalent than it is on other gaming platforms - IMO.

Now from my perspective it's bad, but I'm not saying I'm right. I'm just giving you a description of the view from where I'm standing as I see it.

ok cool i kinda jumped to conclusion sorry

i agree if mario is on the front fanboys have a gaming orgasam and buy it on the spot

Warrior said:

But Zelda didn't sell in Japan well

I think people will buy what they like, what interests them, regardless of the producer. Third parties aren't going anywhere. They are not going to ignore the number one selling console. Zack & Wiki is a good game but it's not my thing so it didn't get my dollar; RE4 and RE:UC did however. I see articles like this as a scare tactic, advertisement ploy. I don't think third party support is going to dry up because of the poor sales of one title. Third party support is only going to grow right along with the growing Wii population.

as much as i have seen about this game it just seems crap..ok its a good game but its not my style.

so im not gonig to buy every half decent game on wii beacuse it is good and it needs support ill buy games which look like fun and which i enjoy.

Sovieto said:
You obviously missed the whole entire point of the article. its about third party games selling well. most third party games so far have been complete **** but sell well, where as when a AA title like Zack and Wiki comes along that is a third party title and sells like ****, it gives the Wii and its owners little hope. If you were not aware there is something called the: Nintendo Curse. This is the reason why N64 didn't do as well and why Gamecube failed. The only good games on the system are first party Nintendo titles (your MP3 and Zelda that you mentioned) and since they are so good and they have so many properties to make them from, no third party can compete with them so they give up and move to other systems.

Oh, and an MMORPG on the Wii will probably never happen. MMORPGs are tough to make for consoles, a true MMORPG hasn't even been made for a console yet (all though many claim to have made them). The Wii will be the last choice for developers to make an MMORPG on because of its inferior online capabilities.

Seems like you missed my point. the points you made are all correct. but what im saying is, surely the future of good thrid party games coming out, DOESNT rely on one game (zack and wiki). It relies on all thrid party games, that arent mini games. Such as "smarty pants".

I agre with you here sovieto (even though i dont like you) but all im saying is, not ONLY do we have to buy games lik Zack and wiki, but also other hardcore games, from third parties. such as MOH:h2, no more heroes, etc. I mentioned Zelda and metroid since they can be classed as hardcore, i wasnt pointing out their frist party development.

As for the MMORPG, i was aiming for a smaller MMORPG if you catch my drift? hard to explain. Animal crossing Wii's online mode is similar to what im talking about. a small group of online vatars/chracters in one place, playing a a game. i dont neccesarily mean 1,000 on one server, as you would find on WoW.

jimbo said:
^ will monster hunter 3 not hav this (never played it but heard on psp you could game with 4 people at a time

yeah yoru right it will have it. 6 players i think?

Zack and Wiki is just one example, what about MOHH2. It had pretty good sales. And other third party games are becoming big hits. Like SSX Blur sold well. We will see more third party games in 08 and we need to continue strong support. And I'm sorry but Zack and Wiki was not advertised well. There were no ads in Magazines, TV, or anywhere. No one will buy a game they don't know anything about.

I think MORPG's on the wii are indeed possible and likely..just not MMORPG's.

meaning an online multi player rpg on wii is possible, even probable, but it won't be on a massive scale like WoW, EQ, ect.. there is no way the wii could handle something THAT big, but a smaller sized game with let's say similar in size and scale to diablo 2? that is possible on the wii. and come to think of it, since the entire context was most mouse driven the wii could do a pretty good job at it. But that is just me speculating/ rambling here.

The key here is the lack of hard drive, and the 'limited' processing capabilities of the wii. You'd have to "tone down' the technology to accommodate the wii's capabilities. But there is no doubt in my mind it could be done.

Now diablo 2 i guess isn't a true rpg, but it could be classified under the genre. I was just using that as an example as to how you could design something for the wii that may not be too bad, considering the technology we're working on here.

I think that some from of an online rpg for th wii will happen, but it probably won't be received well by the technophiles since they're more than likely gonna accept no less than WoW quality..even from a wii. So if you're willing to sacrifice a bit on the graphics you can more than likely get a decent rpg experience out of it,and let's not forget that they could very well release a Official Nintendo Hard drive for the wii along with the launch of said morpg. Not unlike the GCN when they tried to take it online, the peripherals to connect either TCP/IP or Ethernet were ususally bundles in, (and weren't cheap) so Ninty could try the same move again with the HDD. But that would no doubt sell more since it can have so much more use than just the Morpg.

Just thing a 20 gig hard drive is pretty inexpensive today really. So if Ninty decided t mass produce them and let's say sell them for $50-75 they'd make a profit there, and that's not really unreasonable asking price for a licensed product IMO.

So there is hope that this might happen someday but not yet that's for sure. IT probably won't be until well into the new year until they even try and consider the idea, let alone start producing anything, and that's the earliest..more than likely we'll be waiting for a while,but it will happen...eventualy.

Back