System Update Problem

Septimus

WiiChat Member
Dec 10, 2006
So, I finally got my Wii on the net, and it started doing it's automatic system upgrade. It did the first update, then it restarted and started on the second update. At this point, it froze at around 40% done, and I reset it, to try again.

I soon figured this didn't help, and started checking into the problem.

I had my laptop ping my AP, and my Wii, and I saw that only my Wii lost its net. I then proceeded to see what happened with the AP when my Wii stopped responding to ping, and the download froze. I saw that it lost its IP. Now, that's rather strange, seen how it's set to static IP. And I wouldn't really think there's something wrong with the net, since I did get it through the first update without any problems.

The AP's a Cisco 1100.

I managed to get it out of the update loop it was stuck in, by depriving it of its net, and then I formated the memory, but that didn't remove the update as I had hoped. Even after format, the problem was still present.

Any suggestions, anyone seen a simular problem? I've figured I'm gonna test it tomorrow at a friend's, by bringing me Wii to him, and trying to update it on his net, since he's been able to update it. Nintendo suggested sending me a replacement console that was preupdated.

I tried with an 1130, too. The IOS there's

c1130-k9w7-tar.123-8.JA2

and I had the latest for the 1100.

I've given up on them, and I'll have to try with an home router thing. It's not my Wii, since I was able to upgrade it at a friend's.

Septimus said:
So, I finally got my Wii on the net, and it started doing it's automatic system upgrade. It did the first update, then it restarted and started on the second update. At this point, it froze at around 40% done, and I reset it, to try again.

I soon figured this didn't help, and started checking into the problem.

I had my laptop ping my AP, and my Wii, and I saw that only my Wii lost its net. I then proceeded to see what happened with the AP when my Wii stopped responding to ping, and the download froze. I saw that it lost its IP. Now, that's rather strange, seen how it's set to static IP. And I wouldn't really think there's something wrong with the net, since I did get it through the first update without any problems.

The AP's a Cisco 1100.

I managed to get it out of the update loop it was stuck in, by depriving it of its net, and then I formated the memory, but that didn't remove the update as I had hoped. Even after format, the problem was still present.

Any suggestions, anyone seen a simular problem? I've figured I'm gonna test it tomorrow at a friend's, by bringing me Wii to him, and trying to update it on his net, since he's been able to update it. Nintendo suggested sending me a replacement console that was preupdated.
Enable dott11d for the US in the AP configuraiton. I had the same problem and after I enabled that function it works great.

Hope this helps

I ran into this problem with a Linksys as well. I just power cycle it and move it closer to the AP and retry and it work the second time around. It might be due to a weak signal if your far from the AP.

I Think Thats My Problem With The Wifi DS USB Thing.
So I Going 2 Use My Brothers Laptop Upstairs To Be Nearer, As Mine Often Froze (Eventually working :))

i have the exact same updating problem....about 40 percent through the second update, it froze up. i didn't really know what i was doing when i set up the internet settings. it is set on a linksys network that is stationed somewhere in our neighborhood(it is not OUR network. we don't even have one). on my laptop, the network signal is gone, and it usually stays on. i don't know what to do. i can't even get out of the updating screen or the screen where it asks you your country.....

I have the same disappointing problem.

But, I'm also very... uninclined in the whole internety/computer field. So the suggestions are not making any sense to me.

I do know that I am using a linksys router...

Can anyone give me a little more detailed help or help me with computer jargon? Thank you sooo much!

(Nintendo doesn't answer!)

System update froze

Same thing happened to me - anyone have any idea what is being updated in this process? Is this like a BIOS flash? From the number of posts about it, seems the process is a bit flaky... Had a similar problem with Windows update frying my OS so badly that I had to rebuild the PC. I then disabled Windows updates - it would be nice for Nintendo to ASK if I would like a system update before starting instead of forcing it on a perfectly functioning console. If I can get the Wii working again, I think I will take it off the internet to avoid future problems.

hiii..i have the same problem on the second update but this one frozes like in the 5 perecent and im using a toshiba router with a 256kps conection and the router is beside the Wii...so i dont know what to dooo!!!!...if some one know how to mke this work please reply..

Having the same problem. My connection is up and active (both wireless and ISP), but the download hangs at about 40%, just like everyone else. I'm afraid to cycle the power, but fear that may be my only option.

Anyone else notice that their local network got really slow once you put your Wii on it? Or is it just me...

I guess it's not just me huh? My second update froze before it started good. It's still frozen now. :yikes: LOL.

Last edited:
Back