Texting during school. RANT.

paintba||er said:

On topic: I don't really see anything wrong with texting in class, but I do find it comical how stupid people are in thinking that they are being secretive. It is usually pretty obvious that they are either masturbating or texting.

A-to-the-greed. If you choose to text, suppose you're doing it at your own risk. And if you'd rather text someone then listen to a bit of information from a teacher that's probably crucial to life, then that's down to you.

Brawny said:
I agree with Dakuda...again.

I have never texted and probably never will. There's nothing so important that it can't wait for a voice call in the hall after class. That office policy sounds awesome.

On a side note, has anyone realized the person with the worst spelling in this thread is the heaviest texter? ...Just something to ponder.

It really was a proven study that kids who have texted for most of their kid life had significantly worse standardized testing scores!

I think cell phones are important for highschool kids to have. I agree they should not to be used in class or during school hours. But I think it's important for students to have on them. Like in out highschool we were allowed to carry a cell, but it had to be off, and remain concealed during school hours.

With kids being so busy all the time, it's good to have a cell. Calling parents to pick them up after all their practices. I know I was at the school from 8am to 11pm (no lie) during tech week for musicals and plays (4 years as tech director) without my phone i would not have gotten picked up....I probably would have had to slee over at teh school.

Not to mention emergencies. Say we get some bad situation in a school. A columbine situation. What if it starts in a class room and no one had anyway of contacting emergency services? Even say a teacher or student has a medical emergency. Instead of sprinting from one end of the school to another, they can just get their phone, call 911 and save precious minutes.

I don't agree with the texting during class, and study halls. And calling in the hallways. But I don't beleive that they "Have no place in school" like some of you say.

Dakuda said:
Cell phones have no place in the schools. We didn't have cell phones when I was in high school and we all survived. Heck, cell phones weren't even that prevalent when I was in college and I still survived. I am pretty sure that I am still around and able to function.

Well I mean....Technolgy has changed, and become more useful. And so has society, so get used to it.

Brawny said:
I've used mine once in the hall...to get my dad to bring my project for the next hour. I don't really care either way. My friends and I are the ones who sit in the hall doing the next day's homework. >_<

You ARE a teacher, so I guess I should take that point seriously. :D

Edit: I was talking about D_K.

i get confused im texting as im writing this and its very hard for me lol

at least i dont write like

i getz confuzzile im txxxtin as me typppin diss && itzz vary hrd 44 mme

thats how i text lol ;)

Ashwii00 said:
It really was a proven study that kids who have texted for most of their kid life had significantly worse standardized testing scores!

I can see why. People trying to cram as much as they possibly can into 160 characters, they sacrifice spelling which i think is freaking stupid.

Texting should be something short, and sweet. if it takes you more than 160 characters to text someone, you need to call them. I can understand if you are not in a situation to talk (because often i am) so i text a good amount, but i REFUSE to sound like an uneducated moron or the 12 year olds on the social sites who capitalize every other letter and incorrectly spell words "2 b kEwL lIkE sUm1 FrUm Sk00L"

I'm on my way to getting a degree, i'm going to use the language i speak correctly, with minor uses of today's slang (since i am young), because what was the point of sitting through 14 years of schooling if you're not going to use it.

I only text during places that it's not acceptable (School, Work, Car) if it has to be answered RIGHT away. Texting is easier to get a hold of people, and if someone needs to know something ASAP, i will text them back. of course i'll go somewhere else to do it to not to disturb others, and when i'm at a stop light because i've tried to text while on the highway, and it's NOT safe. I have the keys memorized, but why risk my life?

Also, i really don't like talking on the phone. I hate it in fact. I'm someone who is cut and dry, and wants to get to the point (ironic that my post is pretty long. Brevity is the soul of wit, so i shall be brief eh?) so i just want to get the information and be on my way. Lots of my friends like talking. So i text them. If i don't feel like talking anymore, i'll stop texting for a while. I also really like to play video games, and watch TV or practice my guitar. so when I'M ready, i will respond.

All in all, i think texting is freaking awesome, but it should be used correctly.

d_k said:
i get confused im texting as im writing this and its very hard for me lol

at least i dont write like

i getz confuzzile im txxxtin as me typppin diss && itzz vary hrd 44 mme

thats how i text lol ;)

Why the hell would you put 2 m's in Me? how does that make sense? isn't the point of texting to make things short? why make a short word longer?

ah i hate TyPiN lYk dIs
pain in ma butt
texting is awesome and i usually have to do 2 texts
cuzz 160 isnt enough

well said ^^ topic closed haha

well, i mean to moose

Last edited by a moderator:
Moose said:
Why the hell would you put 2 m's in Me? how does that make sense? isn't the point of texting to make things short? why make a short word longer?

cuz somtimes i dont know what im ganna write next
so i put the an extraa letter lol
habbit ;)
also have a qwerty keyboard texting is eeasy =D
finish textin so fast

Last edited:
noooo black berry pearl
i miss it so much
i mastered texting on that thing
and it broke while texting!!!!!
i miss it so much
then i had to learn the real keyboard again lol

I hate qwerty keyboards on phones. the buttons are too small, my thumbs are too big. not a good combo.

T9 ftw

i lyk using t9 of da front of my phone
cuz its toucch screen yay

Back