The Advice Thread

Lewi T

WiiChat Member
May 28, 2007
Wii Online Code
0000-0000-0000-0000
Offer your advice on anything. Simply state helpful advice that you know of for whatever you like! It can be as simple or as complex as you want, you never know, you might learn something! Or maybe remember something better!
I reckon this thread is going to die a painful death.
I'll start with two mathematical pieces of advice:

-BODMAS (Brackets Over Division, Multiplication, Addition, Subtraction)
Incredibly basic, got told it absolutely years ago about how to remember what operation to do first.

-SOHCAHTOA (Sin(x) = Opposite / Hypotenuse, Cos(x) = Adjacent / Hypotenuse, Tan(x) = Opposite / Adjacent)
This is a useful acronym to help you remember trigonometry!

Lewi T said:
-SOHCAHTOA (Sin(x) = Opposite / Hypotenuse, Cos(x) = Adjacent / Hypotenuse, Tan(x) = Opposite / Adjacent)
This is a useful acronym to help you remember trigonometry!
If only I had that for my trig test. Its very useful!

Anyway I got a question. Why do teen relationships rely so much on physical connection more than emotional?

Hahaha we got taught SOHCAHTOA as well. Really useful but I still suck at all that stuff :lol:

Advice huh? I can't really give advice like how you want us too xD.

I'm very good at giving advice on specific things and if I know the person better.

EDIT- Teenage relationships rely more on physical because most of the time they don't value the opposite sex for what they say they do. I can't really say anyone my age really experienced love or something like that. I went out with a girl with very little emotional feelings for her. It was mainly the physical portion of it (making out and the sort). I regret it but that's probably how a lot of the relationships work.

Last edited:
It just annoys me when relationships are solely based on physical contact. (no offense of course) So this is why I have made a decision to be prude. Don't wanna deal with all that crap till I'm ready and I just want a girl to care about me, not think I'm hot.

OK, how about some career advice?

This is more for a grads and people moving on into the professional workforce.

Make every attempt to do something you really enjoy - a *significant* amount of your time is spent AT work, driving home FROM work, thinking ABOUT work.

I've seen many people follow the almighty dollar because they're fixated on material gain and seen just as many be miserable with their life. Also the folks with real enthusiasm tend to hang tough during the bad/downtimes (i.e., see the Internet Bubble) - commitment and zeal will help you weather the storms all industries face.

I seriously believe in "Business Karma" - always play things straight - if you do, the long term positive career/business return will be much more than some short term gain from doing the wrong thing.

Learn about the things that are peripheral to your industry - communication, social skills - learn to understand things about the PEOPLE who populate your business environment. Be credible, friendly but never take any BS.

When you're young, don't be afraid to change gears, do a 180 and try something completely different. (Though I'm not suggesting you put yourself in financial danger, especially if you have family). A buddy of mine with a couple of CCIE's recently bailed out if the IT game and opened a [Corvette] Tuning Shop!

If you have the entrepreneurial bug, don't be scared to go at it on your own - it's scary and exhilarating! Plus there are few things more satisfying than generating business/revenues on your own - and for just +you+.

Never enter a debate about something you know little about. i see it all to often and you just look like a fool.

Make every attempt to do something you really enjoy - a *significant* amount of your time is spent AT work, driving home FROM work, thinking ABOUT work.

Not a truer word spoken my friend.

Easy way to test if ANY infa-red remote is working or not.

Use the camera on your phone and look at the end of the remote with it, then press on the remote.

If it is working, you will see a bright blue and white light emit from the remote.

Try it now! Impress your friends! :lol:
Gaz said:
Never enter a debate about something you know little about. i see it all to often and you just look like a fool.
This can surely be encapsulated by the old phrase:

"Arguing over the internet is like competing in the special Olympics. Even if you win, you're still retarded."

DRMARIO said:
BODMAS? I've always used BIDMAS - Brackets, Indices, Division, Multiplication, Add, Subtract.
Doesn't matter. Some people learn BIDMAS and some learn BODMAS.

^Interesting, because the US [or atleast my region] uses PEMDAS - Parenthesis, Exponents, Multiplication/Division, Addition/Subtraction

My advice would to never judge a person for something they have no control over. Its ridiculous how many times I've seen people overlook another's aspects that they should be praised for to go out of their way to insult them for something they've got no control over.

Haha, I remember my maths teacher made us do a song for SOHCAHTOA. My bit of advise is to next time you start to have a argument, instead of carrying it on, just step down :)

well we use BEDMAS

BRACKETS, exponents, division, multiplication, addition, subtraction.

btw, i pwn at trig.

For the record, I've always used BEDMAS.

If anyone here plays hockey and is looking for goaltending advice feel free to drop me a pm and or chat with me over msn/aim. This goes for those just starting as well. However, please note that I'm not one with the ice and therefore my advice will most likely be directed towards those who play street and or roller hockey.

What I can help you with:

- Positioning - Important aspects.
- Butterflying - General stance advice.
- Which gear to buy - Can be quite useful.
- Issues/Problems - The mental aspect.
-

Other areas of skill/knowledge:

Hockey - General
Photoshop - Signature Making
Biology 10/11 - General
Political Science - Some knowledge
Social Justice - Various topics
Canadian History - General/Not the greatest knowledge
Relationship - Some general knowledge
Moderating a forum - General

Last edited:
Syntax said:
For the record, I've always used BEDMAS.

If anyone here plays hockey and is looking for goaltending advice feel free to drop me a pm and or chat with me over msn/aim. This goes for those just starting as well. However, please note that I'm not one with the ice and therefore my advice will most likely be directed towards those who play street and or roller hockey.

he he, i used to play ice hockey but now i am into road/floor hockey. love it. i play goalie as well. i am pretty good.

FRuMMaGe said:
"Arguing over the internet is like competing in the special Olympics. Even if you win, you're still retarded."
who said debating was anything to do with arguing.

Back