The Best Rechargeable Batteries For Your Wiimote

MichaelSF

Big Shot
Nov 8, 2007
San Francisco
IMHO the BEST rechargeable batteries are the fairly new ENELOOP by Sanyo.

The main feature of this new technology [that others are coming out with too] is that the batteries do NOT discharge while sitting unused. Old style nickel metal hydride discharge at a rate of about 10% a week, to where in about a month or two they are totally dead and need to be recharged.

The Sanyo ENELOOP batteries discharge at about 10% to 20% a year, and down to about 70% power after two years. So you can put these in a flashlight, radio, or whatever and not have to worry about these going dead when sitting unused.

Check out Wikipedia for info on these. [See below link.]

Costco had a special on them, but they are now on a side aisle there [I bought three more of the kits at Costco last week.] They come in a blue plastic box, with a charger, C and D adapters, 8 AA and 4 AAA batteries, all for $25 [at Costco].

I bought 8 of these kits simply to get the batteries. [on eBay the batteries were more expensive than the kit. And on Amazon the kit goes for about $35 shipped, if not more.]

I replaced all my batteries with these and only have about 12 left over. Guess I use more batteries than I thought.

I have them in my two Wii remotes and they work very well. And as a bonus, they match the Wiimote!

I also have them in my digital cameras, which require more "powerful" batteries, so to speak. The ENELOOP have worked very well in my cameras, despite the rating of the AA battery being 2000 mAh [cameras like 2200 to 2400 mAh rechargeables, but I have found these ENELOOPS last just as long as my 2400 mAh rated batteries. Not sure if it's the new technology, but they work very well and that is all I care about.]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eneloop

Attachments

• eneloopbox.jpg
    eneloopbox.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 742
  • eneloopcontent.jpg
    eneloopcontent.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 3,811
Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I'm gonna order some of these myself :yesnod:

i use the nyko station, havent had any problems and the new battery doors it comes with have their own grip which is very nice

mmm i like the look of those battries, there white to go along with the wiimote :)

I'm not posting my solution again you'll have to search for it, but it's the lowest effort (leave your Nintendo Remote Jacket on 100%) at the best price. :)

Yeah, I am pretty happy with my Nyko recharge station too. Seems to last forever and very quick charge times.

But the batteries do look very enticing for all-purpose usage. Especially the part where they don't discharge over time.

miiwiiwii said:
everyone get nyko. theyre the best and they charge fast

I disagree. The Nyko per battery turns out to be pretty expensive compared to the Eneloop kit. But duly note the Nyko appears a fine product.

Also, any rechargeable battery is eventually going to malfunction or go dead. I would prefer to have a single Eneloop AA rechargeable battery go bad rather than this more expensive Nyko setup made for the Wii.

The Eneloop batteries can be used on other devices, besides the Wiimote. You can only use this Nyko on the Wii. IMHO the Eneloop batteries are a better value simply on the flexibility they provide.

Lastly, I don't see where the Nyko does not discharge over time. While it's true it can sit in the charger full time, when not being used, my experience is that rechargeable batteries wear out a lot sooner when they sit in a charger full time [notwithstanding manufacturer claims that chargers "turn off" or stop charging when the charger senses the batteries are fully charged.]

Last edited:
I have the nyko already, and it works fine for me. I'm not gonna switch unless I have problems with it, and so far its awesome.

alwoh said:
even thought that don't show when you put them in the wiimote :wink:

So true, but they look cool when one opens the Wiimote [which is important when cracking open the back once a month for two minutes during a battery change.]

idjut said:
I like my other posts on battery solutions, yet no one comments. :)

I saw your post on the USB chargeable batteries, where you cut the small hole out on the jacket to plug it in.

If I hadn't already invested in a Nyko charger, I probably would do the same.

Xaegoth said:
I saw your post on the USB chargeable batteries, where you cut the small hole out on the jacket to plug it in.

If I hadn't already invested in a Nyko charger, I probably would do the same.

Nope... I like the Nintendo Remote Jackets and I'm lazy. Good combo!

Back