The BIG question for all Wii Owners.

I never said that you couldn't play games on a PC.

I stated that a PC is a computer, not a gaming system.

It could be USED as one, but it ISN'T one.

Also, what do you expect of my posts?

So a couple of my posts are not questions, big deal.

Threads are made for opinions, my friend.

I was just giving mine.

Sorry, but I have heard that "opinion" too many times already. As for the PC, I count it as a console, sort of. The way I see it, if it plays games it can be counted as a console.

Plus, I've already tried to answer the question of "when" on the first page.

Shion said:
Ok then, you gave us your opinion.

Move on.

Are you simply annoyed that he could not share the same opinion as yours? At least he tried to be polite and reasonable about it all.

For example, people who listen to mp3's during melee tend to pause the game frequently to change songs and crap.

Stuff like that gets seriously annoying.

Another reason to have music on the Wii.

Yeah, I can see why you wouldn't have to pause the game to change songs even if it is running in the background of the game. Oh...wait....

I stated that a PC is a computer, not a gaming system.

It could be USED as one, but it ISN'T one.

Just like how the Wii isn't a multimedia system? It could one day be USED as one, but ISN'T one. Like that, right?

The Wii was designed to be focused on games and very little more. I'm trying to put it as politely impossible: it shouldn't be something to be resented...just embrace it.

The Wii just wasn't exactly designed to be the center of a living room entertainment system, but rather an extension to one. Is it really that hard to accept it for what it is? Maybe a future nintendo product will see more multimedia support, but for the time being I like the relatively cheap costs of their products.

Final Opinion:
In the ideal scenario, as if the feature for custom mp3 playback were already included, the question remains "would I truly use it?"

There aren't even that many gaming genres that I feel work well with custom soundtracks. Serious racers and air combat games are my favorite choices for my custom playlists...but neither genre has truly developed on the Wii thus far. Fighting games are a good candidate, though.
But for the other big hitters like Zak and Wiki? No More Heroes? Metroid Prime? Mario Galaxy? The Legend of Zelda? Such games are taken in to be masterpieces to be appreciated on in its original form (graphics, sound, ambience). I wouldn't dare taint it with some of my rap music while playing Zelda, or some Rock while playing Mario Galaxy. Ok, of course no one would play rap while playing Zelda, but fact is the mainstream titles for the Wii usually have their musical scores to be among their strong points (Ok, most...I'm giving an angry glare to my Metroid Prime: Corruption disc as I said that).
On my friend's 360, the only game I've felt like I had to run my own custom soundtrack was on Madden, or any sports game for that matter. However, once again such a genre isn't necessarily taken seriously on the Wii, yet (save for Madden '07...I'm still upset with '08).

I mean it's always nice to have an extra feature so long as it doesn't distract you too much from the core gaming experience, but I'd say custom music is quite far down my list of desired features. I'd be arguing for larger data space to store that music long before I fight for background mp3 players.

manred said:
(maybe PS3 but I'm not sure)
You were right in your assumption. The PS3 doesn't support custom audio overlay as the 360 does.

Final Word
A $30 4-star-rated DVD player:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=7958349

Happy Birthday, your Wii doesn't have to cost $50 more. Booyah. ;)

Last edited:
Come on guys! Let's stop arguing about this matter. Yes, it would be nice having these functions available (DVD and mp3 playback) but it is not necessary. It's not one of the vital characteristics that will make a console succesfull! WE NEED GOOD AND PLENTY GAMES, more third party support and some clever Ninty ideas (WiiWare, more VC games, friend code-free online gaming, games updates etc.)

Where the hell is that Super Mod now? THIS IS THE BILLIONTH BLOODY THREAD!!!!

Shutup!!! It's not holding it back! 'Oh no I can't play a DVD and music!!!' 'I can't just play them on a DVD player at all' 'And my computer is no good either...'

Hylian said:
Come on guys! Let's stop arguing about this matter. Yes, it would be nice having these functions available (DVD and mp3 playback) but it is not necessary. It's not one of the vital characteristics that will make a console succesfull! WE NEED GOOD AND PLENTY GAMES, more third party support and some clever Ninty ideas (WiiWare, more VC games, friend code-free online gaming, games updates etc.)

Those games will come...

One day.....

I'm so damn sick and tired of people arguing over this particular question.

The guy obviously wants to have a Wii that plays DVD's and music and he has his reasons, so let him have his reasons. He doesn't need 5 people telling him to buy a DVD player.

I posted a similar thread a long time ago when I wanted to get a Wii, and I'm pretty sure he's looking for the same thing I am: Some guidance whether or not it's due to be released. They were obviously working on it before, but there haven't been any updates after '06. Just help the guy out instead of berating him for even thinking of the idea. Christ...

As stated before by many people, its an unnecessary luxury that would hurt there sales because its that much more expensive.

Plus, I'm new and even I know this thread has been made tons of times.

twilightx said:
I'm so damn sick and tired of people arguing over this particular question.

The guy obviously wants to have a Wii that plays DVD's and music and he has his reasons, so let him have his reasons. He doesn't need 5 people telling him to buy a DVD player.

I posted a similar thread a long time ago when I wanted to get a Wii, and I'm pretty sure he's looking for the same thing I am: Some guidance whether or not it's due to be released. They were obviously working on it before, but there haven't been any updates after '06. Just help the guy out instead of berating him for even thinking of the idea. Christ...

Jesus...

THANK YOU.

You deserve rep.

You ban me and delete my post because it's true? It was a valid point, the Wii will never confirm it's power over the next-gen consoles. The cell capabilities of the Xbox 360 and the PS3 are far beyond that of the Wii.

I'm not a fanboy of any console, i used to own all three. But it has to be said, you're living in a fantasy world.

Last edited:
TruthHurts said:
You ban me and delete my post because it's true? It was a valid point, the Wii will never confirm it's power over the next-gen consoles. The cell capabilities of the Xbox 360 and the PS3 are far beyond that of the Wii.

I'm not a fanboy of any console, i used to own all three. But it has to be said, you're living in a fantasy world.

U're living in a phantasy world mate! Graphics won't save the other 2 consoles!!!

Hylian said:
U're living in a phantasy world mate! Graphics won't save the other 2 consoles!!!

How you make me laugh.

What is going to save the Wii? It has no serious games which can compete with other platforms, the majority of the games on the Wii are aimed at children.

Back