The Catcher in the Rye = Good book!

Monsteroids

Psychedelic Snail
Jan 19, 2007
BC, Canada
Wii Online Code
6069-9016-3559-6279
I don't care if you don't like to read because I do.
I just finished reading this book and I thought it was very good. The end almost made me kinda cry. I don't think he grew up at the end, but he was starting to which is a good thing. It was a somewhat dull action wise, but it really grabbed me mentally. I know people who are in their 40s and still seem like this kid. I've actually seen many people that are comparable to this kid. I s'pose that punk and teen angst for ya.

The lower poem thing in my sig comes from a song based on the book by Green Day and basically sums up Holden for you.

What're your opinions on this book?

P.S. The book is about this tall 16 year old kid's few days in New York after he gets kicked out of school.

Last edited:
I think we have to read it for school this year, so I'm glad I got one postitve comment. After The Secret Life of Bees, I can't expect anything halfway decent.

Oh cool! I started reading in my spare time in resource room, but I got so interested I snagged it. Lots of talk about sex, alcohol, and tobacco in the book.
Some of it I found quite humorous.
Near the end: Mainly when he gets bombed and... well calls this girl Sally Hayes and just is plain stupid when talking to her. ''I'ma trimma tree for ya'':lol::p

Although its actually quite depressing. He seems like a messed up kind of Non-conformist Peter Pan. I know someone like this who's in his 40s.

Last edited:
I read the book a couple of years ago for school. I would have to say that it's one of my most favourite books.

I have to say I liked Ackley. Dunno why...
I thought Stradlater was a SOB.

Monsteroids said:
I have to say I liked Ackley. Dunno why...
I thought Stradlater was a SOB.

Did you ever read Secret Life of Bees? It was terrible. Glad to know about an upcoming book though.

Never read that Bee one. I've read the Outsiders and The Giver. I couldn't help but think The Outsiders characters were quite effeminate in some cases. The Giver is a weird, but good book though. I'll look up that Bee one. Probably won't read it though.

Also Holden's little sister owns everyone in this book(shes meant to :lol:).

a mandatory book for us to read that I actually read

lol

I usually dont read books, but this one attracted me

Very good book indeed.

Monsteroids said:
Never read that Bee one. I've read the Outsiders and The Giver. I couldn't help but think The Outsiders characters were quite effeminate in some cases. The Giver is a weird, but good book though. I'll look up that Bee one. Probably won't read it though.

Also Holden's little sister owns everyone in this book(shes meant to :lol:).
Read those 2 as well. Was in grade 7 when they made us read The Giver, so I don't know if we really analyzed it deep enough or not.

Prez said:
Read those 2 as well. Was in grade 7 when they made us read The Giver, so I don't know if we really analyzed it deep enough or not.

Aw The Giver was great! It was actually banned from a school in a town in the states. My rule of thumb: Ban a book for its veiws and its usually good. :lol:

So many postivite quotes on this book, I'm going to have to look for it.

Been telling myself for a while I need to get back into reading.

Woah! I just finished this book yesterday! I'm quite young, so I don't think I got much of the meaning out of it as many people did. If I reread this when i'm a bit older, I think i'll see it in a different way.

Here's a little something I noticed, though. I think Holden's desire to be a "catcher in the rye" (When he was telling Phoebe something he truly would like to become) connected to his life. I imagined Holden being one of the children playing in the field, and one of the teachers he spoke to in the book being the catcher; trying to keep him from, figuratively, "falling off the cliff". Literally, carelessy causing himself to fail in life.

Well I know its a mandatory read in high school. So I'll soon be reading it again myself.

Back