The Christian religion

Mitch2025 said:
actualy i think its kinda coo coo how people can believe that there was nothing and then 2 atoms collided (uhh, thats something lol) and caused the "Big Bang" which caused life. also the bible does mention dinosaurs (i forget the refrence). well it mentions a creature that fits the exact definition to a dinosaur. i believe in them just not that they lived billions of years ago

Well so far the big bang theory seems to stand up very well with observations, which is more than I can say for creationism. Scientists don't actually know the cause of the big bang yet- it's not as easy as "two atoms colliding"- but there's pretty strong evidence it did happen, in the form of Cosmic Microwave Background radiation. Also, since the universe is expanding, then presumably it was once a single point if you trace that expansion backwards.

Napalmbrain said:
Well so far the big bang theory seems to stand up very well with observations, which is more than I can say for creationism. Scientists don't actually know the cause of the big bang yet- it's not as easy as "two atoms colliding"- but there's pretty strong evidence it did happen, in the form of Cosmic Microwave Background radiation. Also, since the universe is expanding, then presumably it was once a single point if you trace that expansion backwards.
big bang is hard to believe to an extent, ok, they say the universe is expanding, but when the big bang happened, what was the size of the thing that exploded and what was arround it? mysteries of life if the big bang is true. im catholic, but i dont believe in that adam and eve stuff.

MetroidZ said:
big bang is hard to believe to an extent, ok, they say the universe is expanding, but when the big bang happened, what was the size of the thing that exploded and what was arround it? mysteries of life if the big bang is true. im catholic, but i dont believe in that adam and eve stuff.

It would have been infinitely small, and there wouldn't have been anything around it.

The problem for any theory on origins, whether God, the big bang or gods is people whant to know what came before. Napalmbrain point is as easy to believe as the theory that God (or gods) just are.

NOTE: This is a FRIENDLY comment, so dont flame me please!

For countless ages, the only book of history available to Christians and Jews was the Old Testament. When someone wanted to know what happened in the past, they would go back and study the Old Testament to find the answer. New theories about history literally
lived and died by their conformance to what the Old Testament taught. Then the discrepancies began to be noticed.

Once mankind began to study the Old Testament in detail, comparing the various passages which referred to the same topic in order to obtain as much detail as possible, they began to notice conflicting accounts of many matters as well as other problems. For instance, in the eleventh century, it was noticed that the list of Edomite kings in Genesis 36 names kings who lived long after Moses was dead. Then people began to notice such statements as "to this day" something is true, which implies that the author was looking back at these matters through history and has seen that they have endured.

In addition, why are the books changed from the old testament? isnt there only ONE true way and religion? This means that the bible is changing ever so frequently and people are changing their beliefs due to wrongs in their "previous" text. People took the bible and changed it around, changed the subscripts and put a lot of their opinion into it and thought about what would fit right. The bible has been changed so many times that you, the Christians/Catholics and others who follow by the bible, are not receiving the same information you have received just decades ago. So what was Jesus's last words?
"Farewell"? or was it "Goodbye my fellow believers"? or was it "may God bestow his blessings upon all of you"? i wonder... Isn't a changing holy book corrupt altogether? changing a belief and denying its righteousness later on is wrong! this means that you might be following the "wrong" things as we speak, since in the later years to come, more editions of the bible will most likely comeo ut! (even if no more come out, the purpose and damage has already been done since this has occured enough in the past)

Finally i found the paper! i asked an Orthodox Christian this question and he stood there puzzled. He said to me after thinking about it for 4 minutes (and yes these were his exact words, i wrote them down to take note of this): "well, in order to spread Christianity, the people with great religous power changed what was in the bible to make it look more interesting and inviting. By doing this, Christianity got more converts ever since then.

can u respond to this if u have an answer anyone? im really curious to your explanation of why the bible has changed so many times and yet this has not been deemed corrupt? persuade me, im ready to listen

remember, try to keep away from making a debate out of my comments in this thread and do not flame, as these are friendly comments; im not badmouthing any religion

i've wondered that myself and compared different verisons of the bible. they all basically same the same thing but is just worded different from the way its been translated. i got the same message from each verse. The difference between christians (and i mean real christians) and other religions others believe in having to do good works to get to heaven, but our religion is about accepting jesus christ as our lord and savior and developing a relationship with him by following his teaching in the new testament. I know without a doubt in the world that there is a god and i've felt his presence when i asked jesus into my heart. Accepting him is the only way to get to heaven guys but thats your choice to make. I'm just here to represent. There is a heaven and a hell and your going to end up in one or the other, no in between. There is also Satan and demons out there too. When you die and facing judgement dont say i didnt tell you so.

i've wondered that myself and compared different verisons of the bible. they all basically same the same thing but is just worded different from the way its been translated. i got the same message from each verse. The difference between christians (and i mean real christians) and other religions others believe in having to do good works to get to heaven, but our religion is about accepting jesus christ as our lord and savior and developing a relationship with him by following his teaching in the new testament. I know without a doubt in the world that there is a god and i've felt his presence when i asked jesus into my heart. Accepting him is the only way to get to heaven guys but thats your choice to make. I'm just here to represent. There is a heaven and a hell and your going to end up in one or the other, no in between. There is also Satan and demons out there too. When you die and facing judgement dont say i didnt tell you so.

The Bible is not the word of God, it is the word as God as written down by humans (or for those who believe it is the literal word of God, it is still your interpretations of the word).

As you know, God is generally accepted to be a pretty amazing guy. In fact he's so amazing it's uncomprehendible. Therefore people cannot truly comprehend what God was telling them to write (or what they are reading), but as time marches on we may understand more.

"For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known." ~Corinthian 1 13:12

Of course, God my have not given us the truth originally, and are discovery of the truth could be part of his ineffable plan. It is, after all ineffable.

EDIT

I_DONT_KNOW859 said:
There is a heaven and a hell and your going to end up in one or the other, no in between.
Limbo?

Last edited:
I'm not for or against religion. If it helps you get off drugs you no longer want to be addicted to or help you through a rough time in your life, then by all means go for it. Unfortunatly, religion has been used more to judge/condemn people for being different, which is ironic because that is the opposite of what Jesus was all about. He preached to any person, whether they were rich, poor, black, white, educated, uneducated. This was different from the norm of the time, where it was only the pastor that was allowed to hold a bible and it always benifited the rich and privilaged, while the poor were in multiple cases scared into paying condolences so they and their family members could make St. Peter's list, a.k.a. get into heaven.

Even within the Bible itself, it is pro-comformist, anti-individual thought. Take the following quote for instance:
"And, behold, thou shalt be dumb, and not able to speak,... because thou believest not my words,..."Luke 1:20

I doubt God ever told anyone that they did not have the right to think on their own. The Bible shouldn't be directly interpreted in my opinion. When they say "a frog in his throat" they don't actually mean he has a toad in his throat!

If anything, good events in life are heaven and bad events in life are hell on earth. War is hell. Love is heaven.

Heaven and Hell aren't places you go, they're adjectives.

Back