The Conduit First Review!!!

8.6 from IGN. I was pretty close. :yesnod::smilewinkgrin:

I can't decide yet. I think I'll wait for people's opinions.

8.6 is pretty good....I think thats the highest score for a third party wii fps. I think that CoD:WaW got higher....Im not sure.....

it did get higher, i can't imagine how though....
guess i'll have to wait till i play it.

Nah, the wii version got an 8 from IGN. The other console versions got higher. It does have an 83 on metacritic though which is surprising.

i think you might be surprised how little these games need to sell to turn a profit. They are making a lot off of each copy. these games take 1-2 years to develop and their staff is small. They probably have a small core team who are full time, making 40-75k a year, then part timers doing things like sound, etc working for hourly pay. Does anyone know how much it costs to make a game from start to being sold? I would guess under 2 million, probably less than 1 million for most. It probably costs around $2-3 dollars to make each copy and ship it out to a store which they most likely sell to stores for $35-$45 who then sell if for $50. So if they sell 50,000-75,000 copies they start to turn profit. Am i right in this logic? I have worked as a computer developer creating simulations for the government...none were as complex as a game but based on what we were paid, how much the total projects costs, and how many people were on the teams, i believe my estimates could be in the right ballpark.

Edit: I guess i wasnt totally wrong but i was pretty off in some of my assumptions. there is an article about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_development

Last edited:
I'm really curious to see how the game sells. If it didn't have that much hype and came out of the blue everyone would be praising it. No More Heroes got a 7.8 from IGN. A score it deserved and people love it so much. An 8.6 is pretty solid, especially if the multiplayer is well done.

Does anyone know how much it costs to make a game from start to being sold?

The rough amounts that I've heard were:

Wii - $5 million
360/PS3 - $20 million

So there is instantly more chance of a profit on the Wii even if the game only sells around 100k. With the current financial climate I would guess that is why a lot of games have been switched from 360/PS3 to the Wii.

I would also guess that the $5 million is for a top tier title, so a budget game would likely cost a lot less than that.

So blatantly bias, why bother talking about it? There's millions of people who disagree with you, and have much better reasons as to why, even while not being bias.

Everything that Halo did was done bigger and better with better games. It is mediocre on every level. Everything is generic. The enemies are crap. The game isn't that intense (thanks to lower frame rate and regenerative health). The lack of tactics is thanks to regenerative health (which focuses on camping to be successful and hiding like a pansy to recover health). Don't tell me that they didn't dumb down the genre. It provides only two weapons to carry. Some of the best weapons of video gaming came from id such as the rail gun, BFG, and many more. Plus you want to tell me that Halo measures up to games like Half-Life? It isn't biased, your just blinded by ignorance.

They continue on playing and being happy, while you get to sit in your groggy despair bashing it because Halo killed your father, raped your mother, and skinned your dog.

For some people, mediocre games are good enough for them.

For me, with the FPS market being so large, I expect higher quality stuff. I happen to have better things to spend my money on.

Not really. Sure there are the similarities, but that doesnt mean its a clone of halo. If you want me to list the reasons why I will. Well anyway, when the game comes out, we will see how closely related it is to halo.

Simply put, predictability. It happens to be the way FPSes usual are going. So far, two reviewers have called it "like goldeneye and perfect dark". I never played those two series but perhaps I was off. I will give it a shot.

Wrong. If he could 'care less' about the game, he wouldn't bash it every chance he gets. It's not that he doesn't like it, but goes out of his way to bash it with opinions based on near nothing.

It isn't about a game I could "careless" about. Every time there is a discussion about first person shooters, Halo comes up. It isn't like a condition is exclusive to Nintendo related things. This comes up even when talking about Sony related games such as Killzone 2, Resistance series and other games. Halo is, as it is, a mediocre shooter that people like to place as the measurement of what FPSes should be.

Also don't tell me that it my opinions are based on nothing. I have been stating it as it is. Of course, you have yet to truly refute what I laid out. If someone was to say that Halo sucks, I would probably think they are being an absolute dipshits because the game is at least functions and contains content.

But then again, you think controls matter most, which is a sign of Ninty Drone Syndrome. (Controls can make a game fun above anything else in the game??)

Bad controls can also kill a game. If people can't navigate through the games properly, it will leave people to hate it. In fact bad controls in Wii games have been part of why people dislike the Wii. Nintendo also makes some of the best controllers of all time. The only good contenders were Sega and Atari. Atari2600, first decent controller. Atari 5200, for innovations such as a pause button. The NES controller for the D-pad. Genesis for the the eight-way controller. SNES controller for the diamond button layout and shoulder buttons. The N64 controller for developing the analog controller and an expansion bay. The Saturn 3D controller for analog triggers and full 360 analog stick. I am also going to go out my way and say the Dualshock is the most versatile controller, also for including dual analog control. The Wii gets brownie points for the first Motion controller that was done correctly (there were motion controls before the Wii, the Wii just happen to nail it).

If Halo was a Nintendo IP you'd be fondling its balls every chance you got. Hence you guys are doing so for The Conduit. But this is a moot argument because we could never really know.

I would disagree. Last time I checked, I was calling The Conduit a Halo/Metroid clone. Now I am calling a Halo/GoldenEye/Perfect Dark clone.

If Halo was a Nintendo IP, I would still call it mediocre. Most Nintendo fans (like myself), tend to be multi-platform. In my opinion, Kid Icarus is a mediocre platformer. I don't understand the love that Earthbound gets from fans (granted, it is unique but the combat is boring and so is the exploration). I have yet to play Star Tropics and still have no interest in playing the game. Duck Hunt sucks and is buggy as hell. The first FZero sucked. Mario edutainment stuff is crap. Pokemon stopped being great after Gold and Silver, saphire/ruby were ok and Pearl/diamond sucked. Hey You Pikachu suffered from bad controls (oh ****, it had bad controls, a nintendo game. The world is to end.) Never bought Pikmin. Battalion Wars 2 sucked. Odama is likely garbage. The Virtua Boy has no interest. Nintendogs is likely a waste of my time.

>MP3 came out at a time when the user install base was lower and people were still hung-up on the casual aspects of the Wii.
<The user install base at the time was already full of the core Nintendo fans. If you were a Nintendo fan, you already had a Wii. So the sales could accurately reflect a future similar game. The Conduit isn't targeting casual gamers, so they will not help sales. This is not to mention The Conduit advertising has been poor to the mass market, and mainly among the hardcore.

Not every consumer buys their console towards the beginning of the console generation, some buy it at the end. The Xbox and Gamecube sold 24 million consoles over the course of 5/6 years respectably. The PS2 sold 140 over the course of 8 years. There is a huge advantage to waiting towards the end of a generation (games are cheaper, a vastly large library and et cetera). Even myself, I am still picking up PS2 and gamecube games. In fact I recently got Metal Gear Solid for the PS1 recently.

>The Conduit has multiplayer.
<Again, an incentive for the more core-hardcore gamer. This could pick up sales among the core, but the year isn't 1998. "Online multiplayer" isn't an incentive people flock to anymore, chances are if that's what a gamer is looking for in a game, he already has it elsewhere and in a greater source.

There are multiplatform users that are still interested in this game. Also keep in mind that other platforms have crappy shooters. Online multiplayer is still an incentive since people will still buy a game on that alone.

So from an analyst's standpoint, things for The Conduit aren't looking good. I'm not being hateful here, I'm being rational.

Your not an analyst, you're a forum troll. Michael Pachter is an analyst. Since you consider Halo a good game, I would never trust you with my money.

I like competitive gaming

Pfft, you play Halo.

i think you might be surprised how little these games need to sell to turn a profit. They are making a lot off of each copy. these games take 1-2 years to develop and their staff is small. They probably have a small core team who are full time, making 40-75k a year, then part timers doing things like sound, etc working for hourly pay. Does anyone know how much it costs to make a game from start to being sold? I would guess under 2 million, probably less than 1 million for most. It probably costs around $2-3 dollars to make each copy and ship it out to a store which they most likely sell to stores for $35-$45 who then sell if for $50. So if they sell 50,000-75,000 copies they start to turn profit. Am i right in this logic? I have worked as a computer developer creating simulations for the government...none were as complex as a game but based on what we were paid, how much the total projects costs, and how many people were on the teams, i believe my estimates could be in the right ballpark.

Edit: I guess i wasnt totally wrong but i was pretty off in some of my assumptions. there is an article about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_development

Depends on the game. Final Fantasy 7 cost $49 million to develop even though most games back than cost $1-$3 million. Games like Gears of War and Halo cost about $50 to $70 million dollars. The cost to develop a game for the Wii is between $1 million to $10 million

I stopped at your first post. It was all a matter of your opinion and preference with little to back it up other than 'I didn't like it'. So I figured the rest of the post would be a waste, until you can come up with something better for the first bit though, I won't go on. And I'm not one to usually ***** out when it comes to long posts, since I make them myself.

I, too, wish that everyone would stop comparing every FPS to Halo. Halo isn't even that great of a game. And the community just kills it. Too many screaming, cursing 10 year olds on Xbox Live. The game is too sluggish. Not being able to sprint is a pain in the ass.

It takes WAY too long to freakin kill someone. The weapons just don't feel right to me. Like Godwind said, the enemies are just dumb. There's nothing epic about it except for the music.

Of course this is all my opinion, and it's a solid FPS no doubt, but it's far from the "king" of the genre that every game should be compared to.

I, too, wish that everyone would stop comparing every FPS to Halo. Halo isn't even that great of a game. And the community just kills it. Too many screaming, cursing 10 year olds on Xbox Live. The game is too sluggish. Not being able to sprint is a pain in the ass.

It takes WAY too long to freakin kill someone. The weapons just don't feel right to me. Like Godwind said, the enemies are just dumb. There's nothing epic about it except for the music.

Of course this is all my opinion, and it's a solid FPS no doubt, but it's far from the "king" of the genre that every game should be compared to.
Yeah, I didn't like how it took so long to kill people either, that's why I played SWAT when I owned it and was happy I had a choice. Other than that, the community is fine when you discover the mute option and not having a sprint does suck, but let me guess, you're comparing this to CoD?

Well, not exactly. I do enjoy CoD more than Halo, but I just think in general that it takes too long to kill someone in normal modes. CoD does have all of the features that I mentioned, and it enhances the experience for me.

I also think it takes too long to kill someone in Killzone 2, but having that sprint button is nice. But you're partly right, I do think that in Core modes in Cod4 it takes just the right amount of bullets to kill someone.

stop comparing a game to another game, thats stupid, like tale Halo compared to the Conduit...who cares. Some people enjoyed Halo, others didn't, The conduit is the "read FPS on the wii thats very good but people compare to much about anything. every game has its ups and downs. Can't please everyone gosh people.

i may pick this up later.

this guy is as excited as a 5 year old.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTiAFLzPVco"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTiAFLzPVco[/ame]

Back