The Future of the Ps3: Possible Gamecube Failure?

Kamikaze

Certified Public Asshole
Nov 15, 2006
Chicago, IL
Wii Online Code
1130-2954-1680-3052
If you haven't read my previous editorials on the site, I advise you that I speak upon every system and everything video game related. I make an attempt to be as unbias as I can humanly be. This editorial speaks upon the mistakes that Sony has made, and the cons of the system in general. If you wish to read future articles of mine, be sure to visit my myspace at www.myspace.com/abdoctor (FYI: If you hit friend request and don't tell me who you are, there will be a deny, no questions asked.).

PS3.jpg

The battle of console release is now over...and now we're at what is probably the most stale months for gamers. Spring is the slowest for highly stunned and anticipated games, as we all have to wait for the summer and fall to even get a taste of what's in store. But with the release of the Ps3...there's been some cons about the system itself, in which has been turning many consumers away from the system. The following will contain on how Sony made their mistakes in moving a step back to victory on the console wars.

Blu-ray_Disc.svg.png

1. The price of the system over all. Since Sony has decided to make all their discs Blu-ray, they've been losing more money than they've been making, and as a result, they hope to break even by accessories and Sony exclusive games (i.e. Resistance and Motor Storm.). As it looks right now, Sony seems to be holding it's fair ground, but if you count fair ground as being placed third in the war with Microsoft on top, followed by Nintendo, then fair ground isn't anywhere you should be comfortable with.

-Speaking about systems, having two systems out confuses the average consumer. How does the average parent know to choose a 60 gig over a 20 gig, and what else does it contain besides the storage capacity? If Sony had decided to be smart about this, they would of at least came out with one system, more than likely a 20 gig, with a 40 gig storage to purchase for the true hardcore gamers.

driver.gif

2. The rumble feature. Plain and simple, need I elaborate? Sony has claimed, in which this is verbatim "Rumble is last gen.". Now, the truth is that Sony and Immersion (who have pattened the rumble feature) got into a bit of a dispute over the feature, and Sony had to leave it out. Yet, the ironic part is that now that Sony and Immersion happen to be lessening the heat, Sony is thinking about making other SixAxxis controllers that have the rumble in it. If Sony is going to go last gen, how do they expect to win this war? I'm sorry, but if I can't feel the vibration of my car flipping into a 180 and back on asphalt, then that loses it's own experience by missing that one feature.

grand-theft-auto-iv-20060521043111010.jpg

3. The loss of Sony exclusives is going to truly hurt the system in gaining success. Sony has failed to make Rockstar a Sony exclusive as they have constantly been laid back, and when Rockstar announced Manhunt 2 for the Wii (as well as the Psp and Ps2), and even the newest Grand Theft Auto (currently just titled IV) for the 360 as well, with exclusive content. It's only showing consumers that they can have a less expensive system, and still play some of the hottest games on other next gen systems.

Devil_May_Cry_01.jpg

-Sony has also lost the Capcom exclusive Devil May Cry 4, as it is also appearing on the Xbox 360 and the PC. So PC modders can even find ways to play as Dante and maybe even Virgil. Also, Resident Evil for the first time will be appearing on the Xbox 360 (as well as Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles appearing on the Nintendo Wii.). Also with the rumor of Virtua Fighter 5 coming out to the Xbox 360, with downloadble content is not good news for Sony.

4. The Ps3 store is nothing like the Xbox Marketplace. Although you may be paying monthly for the Marketplace, it truly does have quality, while the Ps3 store feels like using a Linux browser and feels quite tacky. The content that you see in the store (such as movie trailers) can be found if you have digital cable, so it's practically no use waiting 2-4 minutes to download something you can watch by pressing a couple buttons on your digital cable/satellite remote. The speed of the downloads are relatively long as well, as it can take quite some time to download demos, not to mention the amount of KBs the files are. The only game that seems to be worth downloading on the Store is Tekken 5, but with a hefty 19.99 price tag for a 1080p picture, with just the boss unlocked and nixing other features, is it truly worth the price? Only for the die hard Tekken fans. Hopefully Sony doesn't lose this Namco exclusive to the competitors. (FYI: There's rumors about adding acheivements, but there has been no confirmation by Sony.)

5. Over priced accessories. Now I understand that the Next-Gen accessories mean quite pricey items, but when you have to pay 60 dollars for HDMI output and there's a nonexistant Nyko HDMI's for 24.99, that will only get the customer to turn irate and irritated.

Could be gamecube to the max. Just with better graphics and a more expensive P.O.C. Oh yes, and minus the GC rumble lol:nonod:

i am no fan of the ps3 but if i were you i would get the 20 gig and if you wanted more you could get an external HD! because the ps3 is compatible with all External HDs

Last edited:
A. I still don't think the Gamecube was a complete flop.
B. give sony a chance, they got PS Home comming out soon, although i do agree they do need to start doing a little better in the game department but i mean Nintendo needs to start doing better in the online department.

TopherD05 said:
A. I still don't think the Gamecube was a complete flop.
B. give sony a chance, they got PS Home comming out soon, although i do agree they do need to start doing a little better in the game department but i mean Nintendo needs to start doing better in the online department.

A. I never said Gamecube was a complete failure, they came out with great games like Fire Emblem, Eternal Darkness, Resident Evil Zero, Skies of Arkadia and many more. By Gamecube failure, I meant the loss of third parties (i.e. Such as Rare and even Silicone Knights.).

B. That's what my next editorial (which is in the making contains) is about. Nintendo will be improving their online gaming in the summer, as the first game confirmed to be online is Pokemon Battle Revolution followed by Metroid Prime Corruption. Sadly, it's only by individualized friend codes (meaning for each game, you have to enter your friend's code to play with/against them.).

1st) Well written article. Thanks for the analysis.

2nd) I think the Gamecube was a great system that just suffered from Nintendo being dumb and not giving consumers what they wanted at the time. Most people wanted real online capablity along with a large library of stellar games to boot (both exclusive and non exclusive). Add these to these 2 huge missing factors the fact that the graphics weren't as good as the XBox or ps2 you've got a recipe for disaster. Nintendo is lucky that it survived to be honest and thats real talk.

3rd) The p$3 is also suffering from these ads they insist on running feature crying babies, exploding w/e is in the room, random carnage, and "This is Living" bullsh*t. Sorry but normal people don't find that entertaining nor does it grab our interest in a POSITIVE manner. Then theres the lack of great games. Finally the whole Blu Ray thing really bugs me cuz it makes me think that sony is not interested in videogames at all. That they're just using the industry to further the format and their home entertainment division. I find that to be dishonest and pathetic.

It amazes me that people will actually go through the trouble of making long posts like these. I don't bother to read them though.

Speeder768 said:
It amazes me that people will actually go through the trouble of making long posts like these. I don't bother to read them though.

well it seems you were not part of their target audience then. My guess is that the long post was aimed at those mature enough to read it before commenting.

It amazes me athat people will actually go through the trouble of commenting on a post they dont even read.

Shiftfallout said:
It amazes me athat people will actually go through the trouble of commenting on a post they dont even read.

lol, yeah, then they go back and read it and realize they need to change something in their post. they try to get away with it but you can see the edited at in red at the bottom of thier post.

Gamecube was just a complete failure.
The graphics and gameplay and games were ****.

I only bought it because of sonic and super mario sunshine

mk_south_london said:
Gamecube was just a complete failure.
The graphics and gameplay and games were ****.

I only bought it because of sonic and super mario sunshine
Double dash?
SSBM?

I like my GC more than my ps2 :p

VampiricLugia said:
So that's why Resident Evil 4 was a hit?

Point well made...but thats only a handful of games.

The Gamecube was really bad at its time. Compared 2 xbox and ps2. Really bad.

Back