The History of Nintendo Essay

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember u saying in another thread that u would post this essay, i'm glad it finally came true, thx:D

It's really good, very well supported which is a big part of the grade...wut grade r u in?

Wow that's pretty long.
and now Nintendo shall soon be monopolising video games!:D:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :tard: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

hey

So far, I have found a couple of things a tad confusing...

Miyamoto wanted to use Mario, the character in Donkey Kong, again. So he created a side-scrolling adventure named “Super Mario Bros.” Unfortunately, American retailers didn’t want the new game on their shelves because they still had to sell the old one and video games weren’t interesting anymore.
Why would American Retailers want to sell Super Mario Bros (a Famicon game), when the Famicon/NES wasn't even released there yet?

(you see, it continues with...)
Later in the year, Nintendo decides to release the Famicom to the U.S. but they wanted it to look like a computer for everyone more than a toy for children. They changed the name to the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) and released it to the Americans.

Now onto the other point of confusion...

Japan was then introduced to a follow up to Mario Bros. with the title of “Super Mario Bros.” But unfortunately, America didn’t want to sell the game so Nintendo of America took a game named “Dream Factory: Doki Doki Panic” and changed the Arabian-looking characters to look like Mario and Luigi and added two new characters: Toad, a walking mushroom looking person, and Princess Peach Toadstool, the princess from Donkey Kong.

I think you must be getting confused with Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels (known as Super Mario Bros 2 in Japan, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Mario_Bros.:_The_Lost_Levels).

Please see each game on Wikipedia... Mario Bros (released on many different systems/consoles), Super Mario Bros, Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels (featured in Super Mario Allstars on the SNES, released on Famicon/NES titled as Super Mario Bros 2 only in Japan), Super Mario Bros 2 (based on Doki Doki Panic, I don't think it was released in Japan on Famicon/NES, well Doki Doki Panic already existed there), Super Mario Bros 3, Doki Doki Panic (only released in Japan).

Finally, I think you fail to mention the famous R.O.B. - Robotic Operating Buddy, who came with the original release of the NES in America :D.

cyas

Last edited:
hey

Me again, I decided to make a new post, as I wanted to add a couple of new things, and my last post was quite large.

Firstly...

But people weren’t interested in video games anymore. The video game industry was declining slowly but surely.
Is this actually true for Japan? or just everywhere else?

Secondly, I just again quickly looked over http://www.rareshooters.com/?page=editorials&article=2 (your first reference).

Miyamoto had in mind of a side-scrolling action game featuring the same character who was in Donkey Kong, Mario of course. This Nintendo arcade game tittled "Super Mario Bros." was going to be Miyamoto's biggest challenge ever.
Luigi also was in the game, from Mario Bros. The story was like this, a mean monster named Bowser kidnapped a princess from a beautiful castle, and it was up to Mario and Luigi to go through different worlds and dungeons and search for the missing princess and complete the quest. The arcade game comes out in America but it's more like a ghost release than a big hit, it came out at the same time when the industry was just recovering from the collapse of the market thanks to Atari.

Anyhows this seems to indicate Super Mario Bros as being released on Arcades in America, is this actually true?

edit
I just took another look at Wikipedia, and I think they must be refering to the VS. Super Mario Bros. Arcade Version of Super Mario Bros. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Mario_Bros.#VS._Super_Mario_Bros. :).

cyas

Last edited:
Lol I cant read all that I'm to lazy but it looks good =) I read the first two paragraphs and the last =) I never knew Nintendo started out making trading cards I thought they started out Game & Watch

Mr_Stoukaph said:
h

The “DS” was released in March 2005 and a newer version called the DS Lite will soon be released on June 11 of this year. May 2006.

Umm... What? The DS came out around November, 2004. And that last part makes absolutely no sense at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back