the history of the word "noob"

ranger147222

darkprinny is my hero
May 13, 2007
Columbus, Ohio
In 1859 the was a escaped slave named Dangerfeild Newby. He was part of a raid in Harpers Ferry, Virgina where 25 men (including John Brown) raided a gun supply in Virgina. Well some lonely drunk guy was walking by and saw them raiding it and ran to tell everyone. In about 30 minutes the hole town had their guns and were at the gun supply building. John and his men locked them selves in the building and shot out of it. As they were fighting poor old Dangerfeild stuck his head out of the window and got shot in the head(headshot:smilewinkgrin:) and someone said "what a newby" and now the word newb means the same but spelled differently(noob) that is how we got the word noob.

(its a true story, but thats what i like to think how the word noob started)

Interesting theory...I like it, and it could be true.

i tought it was just short for new guy
then it went to newbie
then noob
then ch00b
then fr00b
then
omg youre **** a friggin noob like zomgpmprotflol
but you know thats also that they call new ppl in teh fire department

Nice story :lol:

I don't tend to use the word noob really.
Only if its the right time and place.

fail, no proof and you say its the actual story? post a link at least, from what ive read wikipedia claims it was used in Vietnam and thats where it originated.

I never really understood the joy of the word "noob" or "pwn".. since pwn is just a typo of "own", and "noob" seems to be made from "newb/newbie".

And Wikipedia is user driven, 90% solid facts, while 10% is false user information on there.

And Wikipedia is user driven, 90% solid facts, while 10% is false user information on there.

hence the stopped right thereXD.. and I really dont think the solid facts percentage is that high.. maybe like 75%

Seriously..... For every one idiot who gets 10 minutes of false info, there's millions of honest, knowledgeable users correcting it.

We had this exact same discussion about a month ago.

Even if your story was legitimate, your theory about the word 'noob' would still be incorrect. 'Newb' did not evolve into 'Noob,' they are two seperate words.

Newb=Newbie=New Person
Noob=You suck at something, but aren't necessarily new

Back