The King of Kong.. a must see movie

raisinghelen

WiiChat Member
Mar 21, 2007
Calgary
Last weekend i watched 'The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters', a documentry about the history of videogames and the people who got world records on games. It specifically was about the world record Donkey Kong score (hence the title) and followed the exploits of the champion Billy Mitchell and the contender Steve Weibe as they battled to be the best DK player on the planet.

Although the movie had a few inaccuracies (they never even mentioned another guy who was the record holder for a while) and was kind of biased in the footage that they actually showed, it still made for great viewing and is really interesting for anyone with a love of videogames in general and especially old classic arcade games.

It comes out on DVD next week and I would highly recommend it, if only to see a time when games really could be described as 'hardcore' and the players even more so.

Good to hear you liked it. I wish the movie would have come to theaters here. (Yeah, that's never gonna happen in Iowa) I think I'll definitely pick the DVD up if I see a copy. I've heard nothing but praise from Gaming Journalists.

It really suprised me as i was expecting a geek-fest (being a bit of a geek myself i thought it'd be ok) and although there are a few uber geeks in the movie it is very enjoyable.

You cant help but be impressed with the skills on show, ive always thought of myself as a hardcore game and i used to get scores around 10,000 quite often on Space Invaders but these guys are really something else.

It is really worth checking it out if you can find it.

They actually have a Wii Sports event listed on the 26th in Ohio so maybe there will be some new records set there too.
http://www.twingalaxies.com/

Back